Getting into Ommegang, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by alex_hart, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_hart

alex_hart Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Oklahoma

So recently I've tried my first brew from Ommegang. I was interested after seeing all the love they seem to get here on this site, so I bought a special 8 pack with 2 Witte, 2 Hennepin, 2 Rare Vos, and 2 Gnomegang (for an awesome $20). I've enjoyed all of them so far with Hennepin in 1st and Witte in 2nd. What are some of your favorites?

2. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2009 Maine

3 Philosophers. Especially with 2-3 years on it. But that's just me.

Poorpatz, ufmj, Rohkey and 8 others like this.
  3. shirtless_mike

shirtless_mike Zealot (540) Aug 4, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

I'd recommend getting into a better breweries beer

4. 2GOOFY

2GOOFY Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 California

2nd 3 Philosophers. Also thought their Abbey Ale was good.

Beer-A-Lot and devlishdamsel like this.
  5. JuliusCaesar

JuliusCaesar Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Hampshire

Hennepin is really good.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  6. kell50

kell50 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2007 North Carolina

Get you hands on some Hennepin. You'll love it.

Ommegang, top to bottom, makes GREAT beer.

JrGtr likes this.
  7. fehrminator

fehrminator Devotee (450) Jan 26, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Honestly, this is a solid brewery and a bit of a sleeper. Try them all. I like these beers better as they warm and prefer to open them just slightly chilled. I'm in a minority there but enjoying a beer through a nice range of temperatures can be an eye-opener if you're still learning what you like.

domnalbrecc, VoDre, LeRose and 2 others like this.
  8. alex_hart

ya Hennepin is my favorite so far, but i've yet to try three philosophers or the abbey ale.

9. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Savant (912) Apr 12, 2013 Virginia
    Society

I'll echo the Three Philosophers, both fresh and aged! It's probably my favorite American quad. right now. The Rare Vos I also really like as well as the Abbey.

10. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

I'd recommend not taking this advice.

Rather, I'd recommend getting into additional breweries, as well as the delicious stuff that Ommegang makes. (For the record: Three Philosophers and Rare Vos are my leaders as well. I really enjoyed Obamagang when that was around, but alas, I believe that was a one-off.)

11. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Meyvn (1,142) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

Hennepin is my fav, but I either love or really enjoy most of their beers...IMO Ommegang makes a couple of so-so/'clunker' brews (generally special-release or one-offs, in my experience) but their core line is rock-solid. I used to have a real soft spot for their Abbey Ale (half the price of a Chimay 4pk as well), though I'd need to try it again. 3 Phils is also brilliant, if a bit unusual.

12. alex_hart

do you have any way to describe the "unusual" part of the 3 phils? just out of curiosity.

13. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Meyvn (1,142) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

Just the fact that it's a dark Quadrupel blended with a fruity raspberry lambic...it works really well, just haven't heard of another Quad blended with lambic before.

14. BadJustin

BadJustin Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2010 New York

This post makes me smile. Brewery is in my backyard. If anyone does the BBHOF/ Ommegang tour then hit me up. Always down for meeting fellow BA's.

ColdOne and ufmj like this.
  15. kona650

kona650 Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2011 California

Can you recommend a good brewery from Indiana? They make some good stuff!!!

tzieser and alex_hart like this.
  16. alex_hart

sounds pretty damn good!

17. kona650

Gnomegang is a great beer!!

Nutwood, WassailWilly and alex_hart like this.
  18. DMXLOX22

DMXLOX22 Disciple (395) Sep 25, 2003 Pennsylvania

Hennepin is a great beer. So is art of darkness. Kind of bummed I didn't get a chance to taste Iron Throne. And I also enjoyed rare vos

19. DMXLOX22

DMXLOX22 Disciple (395) Sep 25, 2003 Pennsylvania

I'll be visiting the brewery Memorial Day weekend with my girlfriend who is from Cooperstown. We're gonna check out the brewery tour and get some food there which we heard is delicious

WassailWilly likes this.
  20. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Massachusetts

Their quad (3 philosophers) is exceptional. I'd split a 12oz bottle with a friend, though, because it is so rich and intense.

ufmj and alex_hart like this.
  21. shirtless_mike

shirtless_mike Zealot (540) Aug 4, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

Flat 12
    Bier Brewery
    Brugge Brasserie (if you wanna go with the Belgian theme)

and there's that one brewery up in northwestern Indiana with a zillion beers in the top 50

22. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,211) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Hahaha yet another moronic, trolling user on BA that does nothing to help the OP but feels the need to post anyway.....

I think Hennepin might be my #1 but i love omegang abbey too. I bought a cave aged bottle at the brewery years ago and it was amazing. Three philosophers is always good but much better aged as others have mentioned. I dont know if they still make it, but i also enjoyed ommegang adoration winter ale. I aged it for a year or two and was excellent.

23. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,425) Oct 24, 2010 California

Veeeeeeeeery constructive.
    Amen. My favorites from Ommegang (that are still around, anyway) have been Gnomegang and Duvel Rustica, I think. Rare Vos used to be my favorite, but I appreciate Hennepin and Witte more and more as time goes on. Ommegeddon is what really turned me on to the possibilities of craft beer in the vein of Belgian styles, though. It's a shame that stuff isn't around anymore. What I'm really looking forward to is Fleur de Houblon, though, which comes out very soon.

Lots of other fine Belgian-style breweries / brewers in New England, too. I just had a bottle of Mystic Saison Renaud last night that I enjoyed quite a bit.

afrokaze and shirtless_mike like this.
  24. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2008 New York

Three Philosophers for sure. Not sure if it's available right now, but Scythe & Sickle is really excellent but sort of a departure from their usual styles. If you're lucky, Ommegeddon and Biere de Mars are pretty good finds.

25. BadJustin

BadJustin Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2010 New York

It is man. Top notch! Let me know if you want to grab a brew. The wife is always up for a tour.

DMXLOX22 likes this.
  26. SToneyBrew

SToneyBrew Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2009 Virginia

Rare Vos is a great amber. One of my top probably, tastes great and easy to drink.

tobelerone and VonZipper like this.
  27. BfloBrewHound

BfloBrewHound Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2013 New York

Three Philosophers is always a great beer to sip on. The Abbey Ale is another personal favorite and the Art of Darkness if you can get your hands on it.

1up and alex_hart like this.
  28. RichD

RichD Champion (812) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I've only had Hennepin from them, but it's awesome. Definitely one of the best saisons I've had.

alex_hart likes this.
  29. biercycle

biercycle Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

You honestly cannot go wrong with Ommegang. Everything I have had from them has been top notch. My highest ratings of Ommegang are the Abbey Dubbel, 3 Phils, and Scythe & Sickle.

I sadly passed on a bottle of Art of Darkness this past weekend in favor of Firestone Walker's Wookey Jack (which was also fantastic!). I may head back to the store and see if AoD is still hanging around though.

1up likes this.
  30. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 New York

Was lucky enough to try some BA Adoration at a beer fest last year !!
    Lets just say it was amazing.
    I have tried many Ommegang products and yes some are world class indeed
    I have to say none that I tried were sub par so find em and love em ALL

alex_hart likes this.
  31. kona650

who??????
    I'm glad I live In California..........beer utopia my friend!!!! LOl

32. alex_hart

thanks for all the recommendations!

fmccormi likes this.
  33. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 New York

three philosophers is an excellent beer.
    i really enjoyed goudenhop too. based on your preferences i thin you'd dig it. pretty sure it only comes in 750ml.
    the bpa is a very good beer, nothing mindblowing, but i think you'd dig it.

34. alex_hart

ive never see alot of these brews around, but im gonna have to look more when i get back home to new england!

35. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,425) Oct 24, 2010 California

No problem, dude.
    Unfortunately, I believe Goudenhop was a very limited release—like a one-time brew, and only released in a couple of markets (like, possibly just Texas, for some reason, if I recall correctly . . . in addition to the Brewery Ommegang gift shop, of course).
    Not sure how I forgot about BPA—I reaaaaally like that beer. Like YieldToNothing said, it may not be anything "mindblowing," but it's a beer that I appreciate for its subtlety as much as anything else. As in, it's just a really well-made Belgian Pale. Also, freshness is of the essence for this one, because it has a lovely little hop character that fades away relatively quickly. Probably best on draft for that reason, unless you get an über-fresh bottle from the brewery. But still worth trying, even if it's a little older.

And on that note, I really enjoyed Iron Throne, too. So pale, spicy, and so lemony. Ugh. And again, another beer the strength of which lies in its nuance.

36. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Defender (616) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Had every beer. Rare Vos is my go to. Absolutely phenomenal. BPA is quite delicious as well.

37. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,917) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society

I'd go with Gnomegang and Hennepin.

I like Three Philosophers. I haven't tried many American quads, but this stacks up to the Trappists. Not better, but on par.

38. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Savant (912) Apr 12, 2013 Virginia
    Society

Damn, I'm a moron! I totally forgot Scythe and Sickle. Love that beer too!

I'm waiting to try the Iron Throne in a few weeks, when I can watch the first four or five episodes of season 3 of Game of Thrones. Follow it up with an Art of Darkness, or Chocolate Indulgence.

cavedave likes this.
  39. jayhoppin

jayhoppin Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 California

Art of Darkness, Seduction and Three Philosophers are definitely solid choices from Ommegang. Ommegang is a solid brewery that is always consistent beer. Of course there are better breweries, but these guys are a solid choice.

40. atomic

atomic Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois

Is this really a question? They don't exactly have a huge selection, just go out and try them all!

ledzeppelin4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.