Getting to Hill Farmstead without a car

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by SandoKing, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (473) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

You could hitch hike/thumb. Has that been mentioned ? I bet you’d have little problem at least getting close. The last 5-10 miles could get dicey given the lack of steady trafffic.

2. Pldevo

Pldevo Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2015 New Hampshire

Not a deal breaker at all, it just seemed like a strange policy for a brewery/taproom to have. I live in Dallas and drive to JK all the time. I'll have a few pours (usually 1-3, 8 oz), stock up on bottles to go, grab some lunch, enjoy the Texas hill country, and drive the ~3 hours back home. I'm not out to get drunk; but to enjoy the beer, the company of others, and the outdoor setting.

HF doesn't seem like a place where people are venturing to get stumbling drunk, as that would ruin the atmosphere for everyone.

3. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (163) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

That was actually a quote from someone who works at HF when I asked them about the drink limits. They weren't being rude, they were just explaining the vibe.

4. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

People are quite used to it in the USA, which is more what I'm responding to. The positive takeaway here is that you really don't have to worry. Split a few bottles, take your time*, it'll be great. If you can find a ride up there with a person or a group that you feel comfortable with, cool, could be great idea, but don't feel like you have to.

rozzom and SandoKing like this.
  5. SandoKing

SandoKing Initiate (57) Jan 22, 2017 California
    Trader

Yeah, it's myself and a good pal going up. We just want to have a few drinks, soak it all in and relax there. We're in no rush at all. I'm hoping it has a similar vibe to drinking at Cantillon, people sharing with each other and chatting freely

6. Wolfpac78

Wolfpac78 Initiate (128) Feb 18, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I know this has been asked on this forum before - I just don't have the time to sift through old threads (my apologies). Wife and I will be going to HF on an early Friday afternoon from Stowe - are there any good lunch options en route / close to HF?

7. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (163) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

There are 2 good options that I would recommend and you will essentially drive right by each. Lost Nation Brewery is on your way and the food is actually quite amazing. They are probably still doing BBQ on the pavilion outside, but everything is phenomenal. Positive Pie in Hardwick is a little closer to HF (15-20 mins away). Great pizza, salads, sandwiches, and a solid tap list.

bostonwolf, lic217 and Seacoastbrewer like this.
  8. Ericness

Ericness Devotee (415) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

Maybe that guy with the flop house does ride shares for extra income...

rozzom and Onemoresolo like this.
  9. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (204) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

Parker Pie just north of HF in Glover, ~15 min away, for a Green Mountain Special pizza. You won't be sorry

10. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (473) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

That guy took the advise of shrewd beeradovates and bought a fuckin’ helicopter.....

JrGtr and Ericness like this.
  11. lic217

lic217 Savant (924) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Not sure about the other options mentioned, but was at lost national few years back and got an incredible sandwich and flight of beers for $20 (including a generous tip and tax). Nice spot...

BranfordBound likes this.
  12. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (258) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

I would second Lost Nation for the food. The beers are fine but the food is better. Lost Nation does 4 oz pours so you can sample a bunch. This past week they were only allowing 2 4 oz pours at a time and waitress said it was policy but I’ve not experienced that in previous trips. Only relevant if you are in a rush for some reason.

13. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (749) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

14. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,944) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I just punched in both ways in my Uber app from the Old Stagecoach in Waterbury to HF and it said you could do it for ~$70 each way. That's only ~$35 per dude in total if you have four guys.

If Uber can't do it will simply say, "Uber is not in this area".

Not sure if you get cell phone service or not, but you can also preset times for Uber rides with the app as well.

15. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (258) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

We had pretty good luck with uber in Waterbury/Stowe last week. Better than in the past. Talked to the guys and we got lucky with Burlington drivers down having dropped off people.

Also, my cell reception at shill a Farmstead was better this time than any other previous visit.

Moral, maybe there’s hope ...

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  16. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,944) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Every year Uber is reaching more places, there’s definitely hope.

17. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (127) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

As I explained earlier (I'm an Uber driver) that message is partly based on the availability of a driver logged onto the system and able to accept a ride. Uber isn't pre-scheduling with a driver to pick you up (Lyft does this but I doubt they are available up there.) A few minutes before you've scheduled the ride, Uber starts offering the ride up to potential drivers. If there are no potential drivers, you get no ride.

Uber will likely send a ping to a driver in Waterbury 30-40 miles away. The driver will see that the ride is 30 miles away and say "no thanks" and ignore it instead of accepting it.

Just because Uber will show you a rate does not guarantee they can provide you a ride. You'd have no problem getting there. You'd have a pretty big problem leaving.

18. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (123) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

You're not gonna have luck getting an Uber up there. I even tried just to get a taxi from Hardwick to HF for FOFA and no way. Best to drive up yourself, eat something bring water and you'll be fine. It's not close to much at all and you'll likely want to stop off somewhere for food or sight seeing anyways. Plus you'll have all that beer to take away and pack. That'd be a whole process even if there was an Uber. You won't have a problem especially w/ the 2 drinks max. Not like they're serving 12% beers. Have a good time

bostonwolf and EDNOSE like this.
  19. ricknelson

ricknelson Devotee (445) Feb 20, 2010 Vermont

Make yourself a sign "HILLS" stand in front of Ben & Jerry's in Waterbury and hitch hike.
    Yes! I'm very serious.

darkandhoppy and SandoKing like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.