Getting your girlfriend/wife to like beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pschul4, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djs467

djs467 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Colorado

My wife loved floral and citrus IPA's. Fruit beers are also a good choice too. Try Ommegang Aphrodite.

2. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

I'm guessing anything with very stong or complex flavor might be a turn off. I would start with something lighter and simple. Sam Adams blackberry wit beer is a decent beer. Not great for experienced drinkers. But I could see a newbie liking it. It should be easy to find and relatively inexpensive. Also someone else mentioned pumkin beers. I have seen a lot of non craft beer drinkers enjoy those also.

3. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

My wife gets down with hefeweizens mostly. Unlike suggestions in these threads she cannot stand sours (more for me!).

4. pschul4

pschul4 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois

I agree with you, I'm not trying to force anything on her. She has shown interest I'm just trying to see where I should start :slight_smile:

5. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2011 California

I liked lambics right away, so did my girlfriend. I feel like every single time someone says "No one likes STYLE right away!" I did. I guess I'm weird.

On topic, my girlfriend tolerated beer before we got together, and we got into it together. She started with stouts. I don't really think there's a universal way to "get" someone into good beer. If you really want to I would just keep offering them tastes of whatever it is you're drinking, note the reaction, carry on. Eventually something will click and you can say "Well, if you like this one..."

You can also just not worry about it.

6. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

There's a fantasy about being able to have your SO share in the hobby and come along to tastings and festivals, while also not disliking the time and money you commit to it, so I totally understand.

That doesn't mean it's not unrealistic.

7. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (384) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Obviously this should be a last resort for getting your wife or sweetheart or both to like crafty beers, but if nothing else works, try threats of physical violence.

8. Bluecane

On a board of people discussing liquor, this isn't the best joke :grinning:

9. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (384) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Joke?

10. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2009 Illinois

OMG, YOUR WOMEN LIKES CHOCOLATE TOO!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

pschul4 likes this.
  11. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (460) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

puhh, i guess i'm different. i'm so glad my wife does not like beer/wine/spirits/cigars! there are times it would be nice to have some help, but i'm not the least bit mad about not having to support an additional source of demand nor watching my stash dwindle twice as fast etc.

there's all those horror stories about the guy coming home to find his significant other toppled over on the floor next to a 1/2 empty whale bottle. no thanks. not that the whale of a tale could happen to me anyway, seeing as i pretty much refuse to hunt with a harpoon & instead stick to fishing with regular ole' poles, in regular ole' holes.

----------------------------------------------
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Kinky Friedman

12. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,532) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Pinch her nose, put beer in mouth, hold mouth closed, rub her throat in a downward motion.

Oh, wait, that's how to get a dog to take her heartworm medicine.

Wives and girl friends - I've always just let them decide what they like or don't like and hope they reciprocate.

13. madawhy

madawhy Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2011 New York

I just let my girlfriend try a sip of everything I drink in front of her.

But the one beer she has liked and now wants more of is blushing monk, she loved that stuff, said it tastes like raspberry sprite.

14. ChanChan

ChanChan Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 California

I think Cuvee Rene should be the last in the line up as it is purely a Geuze. I would start with Lindemans Framboise.

15. Bluecane

How many have you had? :grimacing:

16. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Disciple (396) Mar 23, 2008 California

some chicks like the spice in witbiers/hefe
    some chicks like the chocolate/coffee in stouts
    some chicks like the bitter grapefruit of an IPA
    some chicks like the tart of sour
    some chicks don't like any of those

You can also replace "chicks" with roomate, brother, uncle, father-in-law, in the above examples.

sullenbee, DrAwkward82 and draheim like this.
  17. jesskidden

Society Trader

My chicks like
    [​IMG]

18. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Disciple (396) Mar 23, 2008 California

I tried to save some money on my grocery bill by feeding my chick that stuff, she said it was a bit grainy and dry.

19. jesskidden

Society Trader

Exactly- and when something is grainy and dry, what's better than a refreshing beverage!

20. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,080) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Now I see why you've had multiple wives.

21. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

the more my wife knows about craft beer, the more she'll understand how much I spend. I'm perfectly cool with her loving Coors Light, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

22. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

When I told the wife we were moving to San Diego I basically just told her to learn to like beer because we will be at a brewery once a week and I am paying. She loves beer now.

23. yankeefan287

yankeefan287 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 Pennsylvania

My wife will drink anything besides dark beers like stouts and porters. She likes pale ales, lagers, and IPAs the most.

24. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,751) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society Trader

My fiancee loves IPAs. I am blessed.

pschul4 likes this.
  25. pschul4

pschul4 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois

Rodenbach Grand Cru was a winner! Are any similar sours available in 6packs?

26. pjs234

pjs234 Devotee (461) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

Honestly, you're better off with her not liking craft beer. Just take your current beer budget and multiply it by two. No thanks. I'll let her continue to not like beer and have more money for me to spend on my own beer hobby.

27. 1koolspud

1koolspud Initiate (60) Jun 30, 2008 Illinois

This is the way to go. Everything else is pidgeon-holing and downright insulting. Just like men (gasp) some women find they like more bitter beers and others like sweeter ones. The female quotient at beer events keeps going up, and not particularly as mules. I wanted to give the beer manage at a local store a piece of my mind when he tried to institute a "no girlfriend/wife mules" rule.

Really. Have her try what you are ordering. She might never get into it, or she will find some she is really in to.

sullenbee likes this.
  28. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Illinois

Me neither. Sucks. But I do have lady friends. And I've found that they are fond of wheat beers. Hefeweizens in particular, but they gave some love to Gumballhead and Oberon as well. I mean, who wouldn't?

29. emdawg

emdawg Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2011 New York

Highly recommend Southampton IRS, as a woman, I am fucking loving this right now.

[​IMG]

CaptJackHarkness likes this.
  30. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,972) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Y'know, it's weird...the common suggestion is hefe or wheat or something light. But some of my female friends opt for porters and some big stouts. Mountain Sun (Boulder) had a Hazelnut Latte Porter last year and epiphanized one of them :slight_smile:

31. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

Not that I know of. She likes the winr aspect of them. Try Noble Rot and Red & White. She drank most of my Life & Limb last night too.

32. azorie

azorie Champion (877) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I always say be careful for what you wish for. If she likes those why do you care? Also just think about this, she leaves YOUR beer ALONE. I am glad mine can live with a case of Blue moon every other month or so. Otherwise on our fixed income I have to drink less, and I do not want to do that!:grimacing:

Once in a great while she wants a fruit lambic, Or a Duchesse de Bourgogne. She loves Orval but hates how much they are so she lets me have my 2 a month.....

33. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

I love that my girlfriend doesn't really like my beer. I know I can pull some beers out of the cellar and put them in the fridge and they will still be there when I go to drink them.

azorie likes this.
  34. teorn88

teorn88 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2010 England

My gf tried lambics, ipas, dipas, ris, Belgians. Never really liked anything. Only the fruity syrupy mess produced by Lindemans and the likes.

35. azorie

azorie Champion (877) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

Sounds like she is under 30? lots of folks like sweet stuff, and many always will, that is why mixed drinks are so popular. of course age has nothing to do with, except in my own experience, the bitterness of beer is a learned and developed taste for me.

36. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

My wife likes a wider variety of beers than I do. I'm not afraid to tuck my penis between my legs and admit that.

*insert Buffalo Bill here*

Once you get past marketing, what does gender have to do with food and beverage preferences?

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  37. teorn88

teorn88 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2010 England

Yes she is. And all our female friends seem to like that stuff only. When we're out at a beer place they'll order only Lindemans'.

Also, I agree with you on the bitterness issue. I think both bitterness and tartness are acquired tastes. I learned to love them both, but it can't be the same for everyone. Anyways, I would love to see her liking some RISs or sweet-ish Belgians, but looks like it won't happen anytime soon.

38. dejrrma

dejrrma Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2011 Georgia

I'd second sours (but i guess that can be really broad). Rodenbach Grand Cru was what worked for my girlfriend. Good luck!

39. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2005 California

I'd say reverse that - take your current beer budget and divide it by two. My girlfriend loves beer as much as I do, so if I'm buying a six pack or rare bottle, she'll likely be buying one too, or picking up the next one. I get to try more beer than I did when I was single, but at close to half the price.

40. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

fruit beers. Best one so far is Bar Harbor's True Blue, I had it on tap last fall and gave her a sip, and saw that "wow" on her face and thought yes, finally I can get her to switch from that malt liquor she likes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.