Gin

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by JonnoWillsteed, Apr 25, 2019.

1. JonnoWillsteed

JonnoWillsteed Crusader (756) Apr 12, 2013 England

I thought I'd start a thread to kick-off discussion of gin.

I recall back in 1970s UK the gin available seemed to be limited to Gordon's, Gilbeys, one other 'household name' which I don't recall now, and then occasionary Tanqueray which I recall as pretty exotic/luxe. I also recall my parents having very large bottles of Gordon's with built in handles for carrying/pouring!

I recall Gordon's being perhaps the most popular with it's slogan 'The heart of a good cocktail'. Then come perhaps the 90s many brands were reducing the %ABVs, to incur lower duty, and compete with budget brands. Contrary to their slogan Gordon's was no longer cocktail-strength (I wonder, 40%? 42%? ?%). From then my parents started buying Beefeater, which was the last major brand that had been weakened%.

That has something of a parallel with what happened to beer. The sector being industrialised and neutered leaving look-alikes such as Long Life, Skol, Double Diamond and so on. But as with beer gin has had a revival. Opening a commercial gin distiller might be harder than a craft beer brewery, but the new varieties and return to trad/quality is fascinating. I seem to read about a new variety almost weekly.

One of the earliest was Plymouth Gin (Navy Strength) at a whopping 57%. That sounds more like the potential heart of a good cocktail to me! Then Bombay Sapphire... until now when the range and varieties is dazzling.

I'm something of a traditionalist with spirits, and with gin a G+T, both of good quality, with a few cubes of ice.

I'd be interested in others' choices, maybe their staples, and their treats?

2. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (230) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

My go to is Beefeater, it's decently priced. Higher ABV and heavy on the juniper. Makes a fantastic G+T, gimlet and negroni.

I've tried Negronis with "nicer" gins like Boodles and Monkey 47 but I feel without the juniper the gin gets lost in the campari and Vermouth. However those other gins are great in a G+T.

3. Vern_brew-que

Vern_brew-que Initiate (25) Mar 31, 2019 Michigan
    Trader

Gin is underappreciated in the US but I hope it has a resurgence one day. Distilleries are hitting stride once again and craft cocktails are gaining ground.

One of my favorites is Magellan, very nice with a splash of tonic and ice. Hendricks on the shelf is never a bad idea. Here in Michigan there are a couple of great options in state and if you want a citrus bouquet slap I recommend Knickerbockers by New Holland.

My first gin was tanquerey, years later (90's) I tried Bombay and was hooked.

4. SirLeaflock

SirLeaflock Initiate (17) Jul 27, 2018 Wisconsin

Is the Plymouth Navy Strength worth it? I like a noticeable pine (juniper) taste and have found New Amsterdam to be adequate enough that I'm nervous to go in on a $40 bottle. Ideally I'd be sipping it straight. I've had tanqueray, Hendricks, and some others, but they just haven't struck me as being worth the cost for my palate.

5. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (841) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Second on the Hendricks.

Double Hendricks Gin Martini: dry vermouth, not served with the rocks, with three olives please.

How I like it...1/6 ratio vermouth on ice cubes coating them, shake then dump excess vermouth, using only what sticks to the ice. Then add 5/6 ratio of Hendricks, give it few good shakes for a minute and pour into straight-walled rocks glass, no ice in finished beverage, garnish with 3 olives on a party skewer or sugar cane splinter. I do not prefer the standard conical flat martini glass because I am a meat-pawed slob and spill those damn things...

Achieve 1/6 by using half the small side and 5/6 by using both small and large sides of one of those two-sided 1.5 oz./1 oz. for a standard double (3 oz.) pour. I actually had to explain to the bartender a few places how this works to get 1/6 ratio by using short side half way up where there's usually a "half ounce" mark/notch and not to add all the dry vermouth into the drink.

[​IMG]

Cheers.

Greywulfken and loebrygg like this.
  6. rozzom

rozzom Champion (807) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

My go to has always been Plymouth. Bombay S is a solid back up. Hendricks never really done it for me

More recently I've been really enjoying Old Raj. Been using that and a little Dolin Dry to make a great dry martini (stirred; I flip flop between olives or a twist, but more recently been leaning towards the latter)

7. Glider

Glider Aspirant (212) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

Everyday bottles for me are Beefeater, Bombay Dry, and Tanqueray. For the occasional splurge, I really like Junipero. A local Boston bottling I like is Wireworks, which makes a mean Pink Gin. For citrus cocktails Bluecoat is nice and has a distinctly orange flavor, but not artificial like New Amsterdam.

Greywulfken likes this.
  8. bl00

bl00 Disciple (399) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

No one has mentioned Blue Coat yet! Its a great citrus forward option. I love Tanqueray but in some cocktails a more citrusy gin works really well.

9. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Initiate (137) Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey

It’s hot, that’s for sure. Don’t know if I’d buy it to sip straight honestly. But in cocktails like a Negroni, Last Word, or 50-50 martini it really shines. For straight drinking I’d go with something lower abv. FWIW monkey 47 is delicious. Pricey but delicious. The 1L bottles go for ~$52 near me (they don’t sell 750s I don’t think).

10. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,610) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Tanqueray has always been my gin of choice, but I've probably only had a few other kinds, so I'm really just sticking with what I know...

I dig it neat cold, on ice if its not chilled...
    [​IMG]

With Italian food or company, I've become fond of the negroni...
    [​IMG]
    --> Campari, vermouth, and gin...

But my real love is the martini...
    [​IMG]
    I use Martini & Rossi dry vermouth to rinse either the ice-filled shaker and/or the chilled glass and then dump it out; the gin gets shaken; one olive goes in the glass...

*tranquility ensues*

11. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,711) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

If you haven't had Monkey 47 from Germany do yourself a favor and splurge. My second favorite to that is rare, W.P.Palmer Liberty Gin, but also well worth seeking out. My standard gin is also probably fairly uncommon, and quite unusual with its citrus notes - Bluecoat Gin from Philadelphia Distilling.

I should also note, just like @JonnoWillsteed, "I'm something of a traditionalist with spirits, and with gin a G+T, both of good quality, with a few cubes of ice." Good gin needs nothing else, and sometimes seltzer can stand in for tonic.

Premo88, Greywulfken and Scrapss like this.
  12. Minnesota_beer_guy

Minnesota_beer_guy Aspirant (293) Feb 15, 2014 Minnesota

[​IMG]
    Bought this recently and having some tonight. Strong citrus flavors, the bottle suggests using a wedge of grapefruit instead of lime in a gin and tonic. I don’t have any grapefruit tonight, but i can see how that would be great.

13. Crim122

I really want to try Drumshanbo after doing a bit of research for our upcoming Ireland trip.

Premo88 and Minnesota_beer_guy like this.
  14. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,610) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I don't know if your post was directed at mine, but... lol :wink:
    [​IMG]
    I didn't have olives, but I was dying to have a martini, so I did without...

I had some straight first - just over a cube of ice - found it super-herbal, but in an earthier way than Tanqueray; woodier, too; maybe less citrus crispness and sweetness; drier, and more "rounded" than Tanqueray... Really nice...

I appreciate and second your recommendation!
    [​IMG]
    Cheers...

Scrapss, Premo88 and NeroFiddled like this.
  15. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (241) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Barr Hill out of Vermont is what jumpstarted my passion for gin. Incredible flavor and aroma accentuated by the small amount of Vermont Wildflower honey added. Velvety smooth and complex. Elevates any gin cocktail or great on the rocks with a twist of lime/lemon.

Easter cocktail:
    Barr Hill Gin, Turmeric Carrot Juice, Lime juice, Honey Simple Syrup, Ginger ale floater

Glider, Premo88, brutalfarce and 2 others like this.
  16. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Disciple (311) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Bombay Sapphire is my go to but Hendricks is good to me too, have really veered away from gin since going hard into craft, also really enjoyed Bombay Sapphire East if anyone has had that

Premo88 likes this.
  17. Minnesota_beer_guy

Minnesota_beer_guy Aspirant (293) Feb 15, 2014 Minnesota

[​IMG]
    Bought this in Amsterdam this week, tastes like regular Tanqueray with orange bitters added. I like it but the orange is pretty subtle.

Premo88, Glider and brutalfarce like this.
  18. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Initiate (137) Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey

How’d you do the turmeric carrot juice? That sounds amazing

Premo88 and brutalfarce like this.
  19. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (241) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Trader Joe’s sells it. It’s really good on its own too.

Premo88 and Nickwierda like this.
  20. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Devotee (475) Jan 13, 2013 Maryland

I’ve become pretty fond of this Gin lately.
    [​IMG]

Premo88 likes this.
  21. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (34) May 25, 2019 Maryland

Tanqueray neat or with lemon or lime is amazing.

Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  22. Crim122

God I love that stuff. It was one of the first things we purchased in Austria for G&T nightcaps.

Premo88 and Greywulfken like this.
  23. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,689) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Holy shit. I only just discovered this "Other Beverages" forum. When did this come to be??? And how have I missed it???

Anyway, I love gin, but it is really only a recently acquired love. I purchased a bottle of Beefeater's for a friend as a going-away gift, but when he left it behind, I ended up drinking it myself. At first I didn't care for it, but it grew on me and now it's probably my favorite liquor. Skoll Gin tastes like ass. Would not recommend it.
    Right now I'm just about to polish off my bottle of Seagram's Gin, which--despite its name--is actually not a bad gin, in my opinion. It makes solid gin & tonics. I'm open to suggestions for what gin to buy next. Some local distillery I can't remember makes a gin that uses Cascade hops as a botanical, and that sounds pretty darn good to me.

Premo88 and Squire like this.
  24. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,154) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Since you asked my general rule is Beefeater for martinis and Tanqueray for tonics.

Premo88, Glider and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  25. Glider

Glider Aspirant (212) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

I agree on the Seagrams. Bombay Dry (not Sapphire) is another good cocktail gin and good value. Tanqueray is great for tonic, but it’s also a lot more aggressive in flavor and juniper which some people don’t like. Plymouth and Hendricks are also worth a try for something different.

26. Crim122

Honestly Beefeaters is my go to gin. It's inexpensive and heavy on the juniper. Boodles is also a good choice but it's more floral than junipery.

27. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,154) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

30 years ago I would've said Bombay for tonic but when they dropped the proof from 94 to 86 I switched brands.

Premo88 likes this.
  28. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Disciple (328) Nov 18, 2008 New York

Bombay double, neat....

Premo88 likes this.