Ginger Man opening on State St in January 2016

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by rhino88888888, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (129) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

"The Ginger Man is now hiring employees for a January opening on State Street. Expansion to Boston has been in the works for three years but hit roadblocks at a couple of previous locations. As Boston Restaurant Talk reported nearly a year ago, this one — 148 State St., near Faneuil Hall — appeared to stick."

http://boston.eater.com/2015/12/18/10563656/the-ginger-man-boston-expansion

2. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (669) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Prefer the TX G-man operations to the northeast ones, way more relaxed & less douche-tastic IMO. But maybe just a reflection of the local culture? Good addition to that part of the city nonetheless.

3. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,593) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Looking at the photo... if you take away the Guinness posters, what's left is essentially how I feel Jacob Wirth's should look if it didn't have an identity crisis.

meefmoff likes this.
  4. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Opening next month, but looks like they're still hiring all of the staff. Quick turnaround.

5. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (278) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

That part of the city is filled with tourist traps, generic after work bars and cheesy clubs so the Gingerman would be a great addition.

DanSails likes this.
  6. mcintire78

mcintire78 Zealot (563) Dec 16, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I really enjoyed the Gingerman I visited in Austin. A welcome addition to the city.

7. Jason

Jason Founder (8,354) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

This is very good news for the Boston beer scene specially for that area of town.

Flounder57, hopley and rhino88888888 like this.
  8. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (640) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

That is perfect as I usually park near the New England Aquarium for attending Celtics or Bruins games, Anthem Kitchen + Bar was our routine recently, but it sounds like Gingerman will be an upgrade from the other eateries along the way.

9. Jason

Society

Easily can see doing lunch there or making it the last stop at night. While its not hard to find a decent beer in the area it will be refreshing to have a place that will put a bit more attention on serving better beer.

Newport_beerguy likes this.
  10. Jason

Society

A week ago they were doing some tests in the kitchen, emailed them to see if they had an update ...

hopley and F2brewers like this.
  11. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (117) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

Opening this weekend (March 5).
    http://boston.eater.com/2016/3/1/11137066/ginger-man-opening-downtown-boston

12. Jason

Society

F2brewers and jhavs like this.
  13. Jason

Society

14. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

If this is anything like the Ginger Man bars in Fairfield Co Connecticut and Manhattan you are in for a treat. The pictures look like the Ginger Man down the street from me looked before it rebranded itself to Cask Republic. It sounds like the kitchen in Boston is a step above the CT GM too. Cheers!

15. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Does anyone know if this opened yesterday? Work nearby and been meaning to check it out, but I know they pushed back their opening a couple times and no updates to their social media or website...

16. jbart

jbart Devotee (461) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I read somewhere yesterday that they did not open yet. No new date was given other than "mid March."

17. huuvola

Yeah, the Eater article I posted earlier has been updated to say "mid-March."
    http://boston.eater.com/2016/3/1/11137066/ginger-man-opening-downtown-boston

I found this interesting, also from Eater. The Boston owner is the same person who owns the NYC Ginger Man, but he no longer owns the Connecticut and Texas branches:

18. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (237) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

19. bring

bring Initiate (86) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

"The Ginger Man, which also has a location in Midtown Manhattan, has 100 draft lines at its new Boston location, Eater reported. It has a 75-tap bar on the main dining level, and 15 drafts at a smaller, lower-level bar."

Boston Magazine math fail.

apollokim and bruindre like this.
  20. kinopio

Wonder if they will have a house beer like the Midtown one has.

21. Jason

Society

A great addition to the area ... yesterday I had a Notch Zwickel ($7 pint) and some tasty bar snacks. Looking forward to hanging out here a lot.

[​IMG]

22. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,942) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Whoa whoa whoa, Notch Zwickel? I have to try that.

And what was on cask?

23. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,593) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

The one style I wish there was more of.

24. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,942) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Urban Chestnut's is amazing. Too bad I never have any idea when it was bottled.

It goes a level of annoying beyond not just dating the bottles. It misleads you by saying on the label, "Check the neck for bottle dating". I have yet to ever find the date, I've searched and searched, unless I'm missing something. Even better one draft too (from what I remember), but I've only seen it once, at Redbones.

25. jslot38

jslot38 Devotee (481) Apr 18, 2005 South Carolina

Was on draft at Stoddard's tonight too.

26. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I went with a few co-workers yesterday early evening, great spot. It was predictably crowded for St. Patrick's, but no line to get in and when the downstairs space opened we were able to get a table. Some really great stuff on tap, finally got a chance to try one of OEC's sours (Frigus Alchimia Impirium, which was awesome).

27. bskrocki

bskrocki Initiate (66) Aug 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just went for lunch. Bar is massive, great tap list, and decent food.

pavement714 and ReedRothcild82 like this.
  28. pavement714

pavement714 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2010 Massachusetts

I also checked it out today for lunch. Their "4 Beer 5oz Flight" for $14oz is a steal for the rarer beers, I really hope they don't put limits on it like other bars. Had a Singlecut IPA, Allagash Astrid, Lost Abbey Apple Brandy Barrel-Aged Angel's Share, and an OEC sour (which blew my mind being available here). Highly recommended

kinopio likes this.
  29. huuvola

#29 huuvola, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  30. bittym87

bittym87 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Really cool spot and great beer list. Service on Saturday night was sllllllooooowwww however. Seemed understaffed and a bit packed with the St. Patty's weekend crowd. The food, when it finally came, underwhelmed. Maybe just some kinks to work out.

Can't stress enough though: killer beer list, and as others have mentioned, the flights are an awesome deal. Very different vibe from the one I've been to in Southlake, TX (though apparently the owner of the Boston and NYC ones sold off the Texas locations so that could have a lot to do with it).

Sak3 likes this.
  31. Sak3

Sak3 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2016 Connecticut
    Deactivated

It sounds like that I'll have to check out the one in Boston and you'd have to give them some slack with the weekend's festivities for their slowness!

bittym87 likes this.
  32. bittym87

bittym87 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Oh, for sure, I'd definitely give them another shot. I do get the sense the food takes a backseat to the beer list there anyway, which isn't a problem when you have a selection that diverse.

Jason and Sak3 like this.
  33. kinopio

If the quality of the draft list stays on this level it will easily be one of the top 3 or so beers bars in the Boston area. The draft list is huge yet isn't cluttered with generic IPAs like many other places.

ReedRothcild82 and Jason like this.
  34. Justin42

Trader

Agreed.

35. Jason

Society

Yeah, I have the feeling as well though the bar snacks were pretty damn tasty. Spicy Soy Eggs ...

36. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (164) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Went Sunday and had a blast. Flights (four 5oz pours) of ANYTHING on their list for $14. I had the beef cheek poutine and wanted to order more. The list is phenomenal, the food is comforting.

Get in now, I assume prices will change to reflect the location/quality within a couple of months.

37. seanwhite

seanwhite Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2008 Massachusetts

Craft Beer Pricing: The only product that is more expensive in Boston than in NYC.

38. Justin42

Trader

Is that really true? I haven't been to a ton of beer bars in NY, but last few times I went (just a few months ago) I found myself shocked at $7 eight-ounce pours of pales and IPAs (Other Half).

39. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Dunno...get some of the small pours (e.g. the $7.50 8oz pour of Peeper) at Meadhall and get back to us... :wink:

pavement714 likes this.
  40. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I was just commenting to a friend the other day that when you travel to other cities, the local craft brewers are often inexpensive or at least reasonably priced. In Boston, that discount generally does not exist and the local guys are on par with the sought after out of town beers. I have no idea where the premium pricing is coming in the supply chain, but we do see some wild swings in beer pricing across beer bars in Boston, Cambridge, and Brookline. I mean, Lord Hobo's beers are cheaper in Colorado than they are at the Lord Hobo bar.

pavement714 and seanwhite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.