Gingerbread Stout Release Day, 11-8-14

Discussion in 'US - South' started by HopAttack3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

Searching threads, I don't see it listed for 2014, I was told by a friend last week it's 11-8, search hardywood.com and found this: http://www.hardywood.com/content/hardywood-gingerbread-stout

So who's going? Resolute is 11-15...back to back beer release weekends? Wife is gonna be pissed...oh well...

2. Jamato14

Jamato14 Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2014 North Carolina

Not going, but my girlfriend's sister is grabbing me a couple of bottles thankfully.

3. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

Who's going to mule me some and bring it to Resolute day?

4. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Looks like they also already have the date up for the Bourbon GBS release - 12/6

5. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

I'll be there, but since I have the Richmond Marathon the next weekend, I doubt i'll make it to the Resolute release :slight_frown:

6. HopAttack3

If I can do both, I'll bring a bottle I'm sure...will also get growlers filled of GBS...

Iamjeff6 likes this.
  7. Shilt

Shilt Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia

Not really a release that needs to be attneded in fairness. Considering how much of this hits distro, and now with Hardywood's footprint even larger than it was last year, this beer will see an even bigger audience. That and they make a TON of it.

8. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

For us saps in NC it is, we don't get Hardywood and for me, it's one of my favorites from them.

hooligan74, jshusc and Shilt like this.
  9. ElGordito

ElGordito Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia

Im on the fence for this one. Personally Im not a big fan of GBS but have a few trading friends that are. So do I go down and guarantee me a few bottles or wait for it to hit distro and hope I can get a few then? Who am I kidding I'll probably go down.

thegrimone likes this.
  10. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

I didn't see any GBS up here in Northern VA last year, but I also feel like Hardywood's production and distribution has increased a lot in the past year. We get all of their other bottle releases, but none of those are as popular as GBS. So I'll probably come down for it. I love that GBS, and its so much better fresh.

11. Shilt

They are making twice the amount they made last year (which was already a TON), and all the places in their new distro will see GBS, however in smaller quantities than RVA. Still, there should be no shortage of GBS this year. Make sure you grab growlers of it on release day, it's about the only time all season they fill growlers of it.

12. siege06nd

siege06nd Meyvn (1,005) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia

Not to rain on this parade, but serious question:

Does anybody else feel the quality on this has fallen off a bit year after year? I remember loving this when it first came out and by last year, I just felt it wasn't the same beer...it tasted thinner, less lush.

Of course this could be the classic "not as good as last year's" syndrome, so I'm curious if anyone else feels this way.

13. Shilt

You're absolutely correct here, John. Batch one clearly had a much better mouthfeel, and has actually aged pretty nicely. It's the case of the first batch being so small, and each subsequent batch where they double the recipe, and overall quality has suffered. Still a solid beer, but 2011 first batch was a completely different beer IMO.

14. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Not to hijack the thread here, but i would love to find a BA who is willing to part with a bottle or two for a very nice box of Three Floyds bombers (whatever is out at the time ). I have had a few trades for gbs lined up, but can't seem to close the deal. Not really looking to go $4$, I am willing to overpay.

15. cp31bucsfan

cp31bucsfan Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2013 Virginia

Looking for IP at Hardywood on Friday night for some Trickery or Darkness '14...Hit me up to discuss options

Cheers

16. DrewBrew87

DrewBrew87 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2013 South Carolina

I would love to trade for two bottles. If someone wants to set up a pre-trade for some NC/SC goodies (plus others) shoot me a message!

17. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Anyone know when bottles will hit distro?

18. Shilt

Probably in the week or two following release. There will be plenty to go around.

19. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Yeah I figured it would be around about that time frame. Hoping to figure out the exact day though so I'll know which weekend to drive up.

20. Shilt

I'd be more than happy to give you a heads up on when and where it hits. The brewery should also have some througout the holiday season as well.

21. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Okay gotcha. I didn't know that bottles would likely last a while at the actual brewery itself. That helps because then I know I can just go up there any weekend after the release. I was just worried that say I drove up the weekend after the release, it might be both gone at the brewery and not in distro yet and then I wouldn't be able to get it anywhere.

22. Shilt

Bottles were available pretty regularly throughout the season last year. However, they usually would sell out pretty quickly when they went up for sale, and then it would be days or maybe a week before there were more available. I'd expect they wil sell out this weekend, but will have more in the next week or two at the brewery. They have increased production as I've mentioned, but also have more to distribute outside of RVA now. Would make sure to call just in case.

23. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

10-4 thanks

24. LeeEvolved

LeeEvolved Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2010 Virginia

There's now a pre-release party scheduled for Friday night (10/7) at 9pm after the tasting room closes to the public. Crowds may be lighter than Saturday.

25. HopAttack3

Heading to Mekong first then over to Hardywood...looking forward to it!

26. Shilt

Hardywood changed limit to 8 bottles per person on both Friday and Saturday.

Cubatobaco and HopAttack3 like this.
  27. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (790) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Good to know! Thanks!

PS - where did you see this at?

#27 Cubatobaco, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  28. HopAttack3

It's on the FB page, website still says 4 bottles, so that hasn't been updated yet

Cubatobaco likes this.
  29. hooligan74

hooligan74 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2009 North Carolina

This starts at 2pm on Sat? Contemplating making the drive up....

30. Shilt

And just heard from a buddy that apparently close to 2,000 cases have already been sent out to distro.

31. HopAttack3

Yup 2 pm, I know at least 10 or so folks driving up from the Raleigh area for it, the bump to 8 bottles is also good! Need to keep my trading partners happy around the country.

hooligan74 likes this.
  32. HopAttack3

No growler fills this weekend, that sucks...

I got pricing today: The 750 mL bottle of GBS is $10.50 and the 32 oz. Crowler TOGO of GBS will be $13.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  33. BeerAristocrat

BeerAristocrat Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia

Does this usually reach GA?

34. hooligan74

hooligan74 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2009 North Carolina

Ah, crap! I forgot the Rev Horton Heat show is at 8pm tomorrow in CLT. No road trip to Richmond for me.

35. Shilt

There are people waiting in line already apparently. They must not realize this will hit stores in bunches starting Monday.

pmarlowe likes this.
  36. HighRollerII

HighRollerII Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 South Carolina

ISO it sounds like it would be great. I visited this brewery on the way back from DC. Really hope to score a bottle

37. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

A buddy of mine went tonight and said there was a massive line and a lot of people got shut out. Crazy.

38. spitshaded

spitshaded Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 Virginia

My fiance & her brother drove an hour & a half down there tonight to get some but are now driving back with none. They turned people away nearly an hour before they said they were going to cut off the line & they're still going to sell more tomorrow. Pretty shitty handling of this event.

39. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

If you go and don't get the beer you want its always a shitty handling of the event :rolling_eyes:.

So did they cut the line off at 9:30 or start telling people at the end that they probably weren't going to make it?

40. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

This is second hand information but from what I understand, they didn't cut off the line or anything. My friend was about 20 people from the front and they sold out. He said the line behind him was probably 100 yards long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.