Gingerbread Stout Release Day, 11-8-14

Discussion in 'US - South' started by HopAttack3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Seems like people are pissed about this on FB.

2. spitshaded

spitshaded Nov 12, 2012 Virginia

I wasn't posting a knee-jerk criticism because I "didn't get the beer I want", so the eye roll emoji isn't really necessary (as cute as it is). Having any info as to how the event was handled is enough to make that assessment.

They announced the event online saying that the presale event was going to be from 9-10:30 PM (specifying that sales would not end at 10:30, but that it was the latest you could get in line). Bottles would be limited to 4 per person, with no noted limit overall for the event. They later changed that to 8 bottles per person. Shortly after the start of the sales, they told people that they were probably going to sell out, after people had already been waiting for a while.

If a brewery doesn't have much of a product to go around, don't do a pre-release the night before the "official" release & double the amount that people can buy, then turn people away that drove for hours in many cases & waited in the cold so you can sell more to people the next day... & Sunday... & so on. That's just a poor way to treat customers & handle an event like that.

MrExit23, tlh1005 and Original_Fake like this.
  3. beernuts

beernuts Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

You're right, the sarcastic comment was unnecessary on my part, my apologies. If you read these release threads, in every single one it seems someone is saying how poorly the brewery handled the release, it just seems like somebody's always going to be unsatisfied. After some thinking about this one though, I think you are right, Hardywood messed up. They should not have had the Friday night sale at all, that was bound to lead to problems.

4. tlh1005

tlh1005 Oct 1, 2009 North Carolina

Wow. I know this one isn't as epic a Huna Day or as bad as other releases in the past but of all of the release screw-ups I have seen this might be the dumbest one. At least for all of the others most of the problem is just simply the sheer volume of people that show up.

1. Why do a pre-release?
    2. Why suddenly double the bottle limit? Is it so bad if the beer sits on a couple of shelves for an extra few days?

These guys went and created an issue when there probably wouldn't have been one. It's like they wanted to have to send out an apology letter.

5. Shilt

Shilt Dec 26, 2011 Virginia

The bottle limit was not changed all of sudden, it was changed two days prior. Could they have done better? Sure. But they were quick to admit their wrong doing and offering to help those that were shut out. People need to chill out though, this beer will be in grocery stores all over the city and is hitting distro in NOVA, VA beach area, and Philly to name a few. It will be made for the next month or so. I don't feel bad for those who want 2 cases for all their pre-trades or what not. And people shouldn't be crying they got shut out, it's a heavily distributed beer!!!!

6. tlh1005

tlh1005 Oct 1, 2009 North Carolina

Release info published for a month and then changed two days prior to is what I will call sudden, but it's subjective opinion from either of us and not the main point anyway so I'll move on. How much the beer is available in Va. or Philly is irrelevant to someone who doesn't live in Va. or Philly. If I drove a couple of hours or more, took time out of my normal schedule for this, and left empty handed I'd be "crying" too.

I'm glad they're doing it but I am not giving Hardywood any credit for apologizing and making it right. That's what they should be doing. This is no where near the worst thing that has happened in the world, I just think it was some very strange decision making.

7. c64person

c64person Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

The line here is crazy right now. Looks like they may have ran out of bands, not sure though.

8. beernuts

Insane line. I got there at 12:45 and I'm glad I did. There were about 500 people already in line, and probably 3 times that number got in line behind me by 2:00. It took me 45 minutes to get to the front, and with an 8 bottle limit (just about everybody was buying 8 bottles it looked like) its hard to imagine there will be any GBS left at all.

9. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Nov 27, 2010 Virginia

This does not bode well for the BA GBS release.

julielynndubee likes this.
  10. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I was very glad to see that Hardywood is going to make it up to those shut out last night. I was one of them and about 10 people away from getting the beer. At least they are trying to make it up to us and I commend them for that.

11. beernuts

How are they going to make it up?

12. Shilt

By sending them an email and they will make sure those people get bottles. It hits distro Monday, and they are also bottling more on Monday, so will be available Wednesday at tasting room. They had a certain amount reserved for last night, and another amount for today. Heard they sold 6k bottles in about 4 hours today. Talked with one of the owners tonight and their plan for this year was based on turnout from last year. They made even more this year, and yet attendance seemed to more than double. Thought this years was a notch above last years fwiw.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  13. beernuts

That's cool, are they going to ship to people who came from out of town?

I was there today, 6,000 bottles seems like a conservative estimate. Does anyone know how it ended? Did they sell out/did people get shut out or did everyone that showed up get to purchase bottles?

14. Shilt

Last night was a pre-release. They will not ship. Those who struck out today, are no different from anyone who gets shut out of any beer release. The 6k comes from a buddy that worked the release. He was saying there was still a line when it sold out, but couldn't tell if some were getting back in line (which happens at nearly every Hardywood release). I was there around 6, and it was still fairly packed and bottles were gone. Tasted some on draft, and will get bottles whenever because it's a DISTRIBUTED beer. Thought it was funny that nearly 500 people lined up for a beer that sees such heavy distribution though.

pmarlowe likes this.
  15. beernuts

You keep saying this is heavily distributed but in my experience this is not the case. Maybe it will be easy to get this year, I don't know, but it has never been really available outside of Richmond in the past so its not suprising that people are lining up for it. I really think your claims of "heavy distribution" are greatly exaggerated. I know Hardywood has increased production and distribution, and I absolutely hope that this beer does become widely available in the general area, but last year it was not and its hard to simply trust rumors and hearsay that this year will be different.

16. montman

montman Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I do wonder how much we will see in the new disto areas (Hampton roads, etc).
    I guess everyone's experience varies in Richmond, my buddy picked me up as many bottles as I wanted just randomly walking in a grocery store last year and this was weeks after distro started.

bushycook likes this.
  17. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

Got there yesterday at 10:50 am, about 12th in line...we changed our original plan of going to Mekong first to straight to hardywood...glad we did...got my 8 bottles, 1 Crowler, I need 11 for trading partners...I'll get more next week when it hits stores in nova.

People bitching about not getting it on Friday nite, hmmm, not show up till 9:20 pm...why not get there sooner? If it's that big a deal, show up earlier...they have no one to blame but themselves for not getting there at 8 pm while beer is still being served, and waiting there like others. I know a couple that drove from raleigh area, had dinner at Mekong and got shut out, they didn't bitch to anyone, they went to Fonta Flora bottle release yesterday...

They almost doubled production over last year, from the reports I've heard. Drove back by Hardywood at 5:45 pm, still packed, it appeared they were sold out. Drove 2.5 hours home after a killer meal at Mekong and BCBW infused with coffee beans, that was so good it wasn't funny.

Had a great day yesterday, waiting 3 hours was not a big deal, meet some of my trading partners face to face and did 4 trades yesterday too. Scores of the day, 16 cans of hop drop, trickery, snap dragon, foothills November ipa, and a lindley park...

Also had BA narwhal, trademark sour, and various other beers...

This years GBS is much better than last, so glad I went.

Shilt likes this.
  18. bushycook

bushycook Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

You do know we'll be getting this in the 757 this time, don't you? TW and hell, I bet even Farm Fresh'll have it. No need to make the trip to RVA anymore...

Cubatobaco likes this.
  19. KevinZ2301

KevinZ2301 Jan 22, 2014 North Carolina

How do you figure it was a "shitty handling" ? Just because your fiancé and her brother did not get beer??? Really ??? Maybe they should have left earlier......Breweries can only estimate turnouts. They said that they would be selling bottles from 9:00 – 10:30 PM and that is what they delivered. I know someone who was shut out and just went back earlier the next day. I wish people would stop blaming breweries for what that cannot control.

HopAttack3 likes this.
  20. KevinZ2301

KevinZ2301 Jan 22, 2014 North Carolina

Wrong.

21. c64person

c64person Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

That coffee infused Bourbon County Barelywine was seriously worth the three and a half hour drive up there. It was stupid unreal good.

HopAttack3 likes this.
  22. raleighwho

raleighwho Jul 28, 2014 North Carolina

it was unreal!! AN knows how to make an amazballs tap selection!

HopAttack3 likes this.
  23. raleighwho

if you went on saturday you did not get shut out

a few in our group went back in line to get more bottles (sure he/she waited another 1.5 to 2hrs to get more)

24. HopAttack3

BCBW so worth the 2.5 hour trip for us too! We did it backt back over dinner, then hit the road, I was at home by 8, long but a good day!

raleighwho likes this.
  25. raleighwho

you shouldve went next door for some blue mountain chocolate stout, lavender, cherry and coffee stouts

26. HopAttack3

We had Blue Mountain chocolate coffee stout in the parking lot at 12:30 or so! There were about 20 of us from NC and VA that are on a FB private beer page, we had plenty of beers before hand! BA narwhal, among others...

If I'd gone next door, I would have slept in my truck that nite! That would have been bad idea jeans with the wife! Already 2 hours later than I wanted to be getting home, oh well...

27. pfwf

pfwf May 30, 2013 South Carolina

Anybody know the total number of bottles or cases they sold over the two days?

28. raleighwho

sorry meant next door at THE ANSWER

i think i am in the private group on fb. you guys were at the front of the line by the picnic tables?

29. HopAttack3

@raleighwho yep, I got what you meant about the Answer bar, we wanted too, oh we wanted too...

We were at the picnic tables, NCBTT group...Jim, Kale, Steve, Blaine, Michael and Greg are who I was with most of the day. Can't make the BA GBS next month, I think I'm in NY for a party, hopefully someone on the page can get me a bottle then.

30. SK007

SK007 Dec 20, 2013 Virginia

Nic at Arrowine will be getting their allotment into today....and if thats the case you can bet Norms will also have it there this afternoon....GBS here we come!

31. beernuts

It looks like the Whole Foods near me (northern VA) got quite a lot of this today. At least I know I won't have to wait in line next year!

32. hophead_87

hophead_87 Apr 23, 2014 Virginia

4 cases just hit Dominion Beer and Wine in Falls Church. @beernuts @SK007 sorry if I missed tagging anyone in NOVA!

33. HopAttack3

Looks like it's going pretty quick at Whole Foods in Fair Lakes...

I need more bottles but can't get to WF today...Sent an email to Brown Disty to see which stores are actually getting GBS in NOVA...

34. hophead_87

hophead_87 Apr 23, 2014 Virginia

I heard that many stores will be getting staggered shipments throughout the next few weeks. For instance, Dominion Wine and Beer got 4 cases today, but will get 16 2 weeks from now.

HopAttack3 likes this.
  35. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

So is Hardywood doing crowlers of GBS whenever they have it on now, or just this past Saturday? What about their other beers, are they available for crowlers now as well?

36. HopAttack3

I don't know, it wasn't a question that I asked...they just had crowlers of GBS, none of the other beers, just the usual bottles and cans for sale. No growler fills on any beer that I saw on Sat...

Are there mobile crowlers running now? that sounds like it might be a decent business to be in...crowlers were already filled, they were hauling them out 30 min before the sale time of 2 pm.

BTW, have a buddy that did Daft Punk bobbleheads if you're interested...I can put you in touch with him.

CavemanRamblin likes this.
  37. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Oh ok gotcha. It seemed too good to be true that Hardywood had a crowler machine now. Maybe they will soon, who knows.

Ha I may take you up on that sometime about the bobblehead.

38. Shilt

Heard from some there yesterday that they were filling growlers of GBS. My guess is they will continue to fill growlers and crowlers as long as they have enough of it.

39. Jnashed

Jnashed Feb 14, 2014 Virginia

So, Ill be in NOVA (Reston/ Vienna) on Weds. out of luck by 24 hours? Or is there a place to focus in on just in case? Would love to score a bottle.

40. SK007

SK007 Dec 20, 2013 Virginia

yeah you should have no problems scoring as much as you want at Norms...they have 10 cases and as of 15 minutes ago still had 8.5 left

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.