Canada Go to "shelf" beer in Quebec

Discussion in 'Canada' started by LarryAppleton, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryAppleton

LarryAppleton Aspirant (269) Dec 1, 2012 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Whats everyones go-to cheap "shelf" beer in Quebec? The 6$ 500ml bottles can really add up, and for me Fin du Monde/Maudite is too strong to drink on a regular basis. So what do you fellow Quebecois drink on a regular summer night?

2. ricochet173

ricochet173 Initiate (184) Jul 6, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm a big fan of the Boreal Cuivree and IPA. It may be one of the best deals for the price (usually around 8.50/6-pack).

3. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Same here, Boreale or St-Ambroise stout is a good deal also.

4. ZorPrime

ZorPrime Savant (989) May 17, 2008 Quebec (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

For me, It's either a 6-pack of St-Ambroise IPA or a 6-pack of boreale IPA or any 4-pack cans from archibald.

Cheers
    Eric

5. Surfscience

Surfscience Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

I'm drinking St-Ambroise IPA as well ($9.99/6). I like it better than the boreale but that may just be an aversion to boreale

yasky likes this.
  6. ricochet173

ricochet173 Initiate (184) Jul 6, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I find the St. Ambroise IPA too piney for my taste. Boreal's has more of a tropical thing going on.

7. Vicar_Rizvi

Vicar_Rizvi Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Quebec (Canada)

The Boreale has a more fulsome hoppy flavour, with sufficient and not overbearing citrus notes. The St. Ambroise veers too close to being overbearing on the citrus for me. In response to the original question, I find enough deps in Montreal that carry some nice German, Dutch and Danish pilsners, as well as other varieties, for less than $3 a can. The SAQ obviously will carry even better deals on European can beers.

8. iguenard

iguenard Aspirant (236) Jan 30, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

My favorite shelf beers under 13$ a 6-pack... Dieu du Ciel Moralité (IPA), Dieu du Ciel Route des Épices (I'm a pepper lover), Jukebox American Pale Ale, Unibroue Fin du Monde, Unibroue Trois Pistoles, Unibroue Blanche de Chambly... probably forgetting tons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.