Going on cruise that allows 1 750 mL bottle of wine or champagne Can I get away with bringing beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by eLeMeNOhPee1, Feb 16, 2017.

1. eLeMeNOhPee1

eLeMeNOhPee1 Initiate (184) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I am going on a cruise that allows you to bring 1 750mL bottle of wine or chamapge only, not beer it says. However I would be bringing Bruery bottles (my guest will take my second bottle), which very closely resemble champagne/wine bottles. Or heck I can even bring a corked and caged 22 oz bomber bottle to throw them off. I would be bringing something special, so really dont want to forfeit it. I would literally drink it in the parking lot if they said I cant bring it in, since we're ubering to Ports O Call, I cant leave it in my car instead. Leaving from Long beach if that matters.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Will I be able to get on board with a 750 bottle of Mocha Wednesday? Perhaps I should bring non special bottles just in case, that way losing them is no biggie?

Here is what Carnival cruise line states,

"Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

Thanks in advance

2. NCGreg

NCGreg Initiate (58) Jun 20, 2016 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

No experience with this but you could potentially (carefully) take the label off of a cheap bottle of wine and glue it overtop of the Mocha Wednesday label. Just a though to be extra safe.

jrnyc, Gemini6, beerluvr and 7 others like this.
  3. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (165) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Bring a nice Barleywine and show them the "Wine" on the label if they give you any static!

4. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Savant (920) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Try to bring something corked and caged. I've never been on a cruise, but most people assume they're wine bottles.

5. zid

zid Crusader (720) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Since they clearly state that all beer is strictly prohibited and will be confiscated, why not just live without Mocha Wednesday until you're back? Is it really that important?

6. Urk1127

Urk1127 Champion (816) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I agree with cork and cage. 99% of beer is six packs. It's a 750ml bottle. Who cares what's in it.

jrnyc, Gemini6 and ebin6 like this.
  7. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (180) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Following. Was wondering the same thing myself. Cruising in a few weeks with Carnival. I'm paying for the inclusive drink package on board but not sure what beer options are available so I would like to have something decent in my room.

eLeMeNOhPee1 likes this.
  8. zid

Beer Trader

@eLeMeNOhPee1 , just to be clear, I could have asked myself "Is it really that important?" innumerable times regarding beer but I wouldn't have answered the question anyway. :) Have a good trip.

9. Squire123

Squire123 Savant (984) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Don't bother. Their ship their rules, which you agreed to when you signed up. You are bound by law to the terms of the agreement and Cruise ship employees are very adept at sussing out passengers trying to smuggle a favorite beverage on board. They clearly said "confiscated" and "no compensation" and they damn well mean it.

10. Badfish

Badfish Initiate (73) Sep 6, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I'm gonna go with don't do it? It's very clearly outlined and absolutely not worth the risk. Even if you would "drink it in the parking lot", it's not worth wasting a great beer like Mocha Wednesday by having to pound it in some parking lot.

I say take some wine or champagne since allowed and you'll have those Bruery beers to look forward to when you get back.

Cheers and safe travels.

jrnyc, Gemini6, tlema1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (119) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland
    Beer Trader

The bottle will be xrayed in your carry on. They are in a rush to get thousands of people on board the ship. As long as you stick to the one bottle limit you will be fine. They don't have the time to look. If you had a case of beer in your carry on that is a different story

12. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (175) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's so odd that you can have a 750ml 15%abv wine, but not the same amount of a %5 beer.

13. eLeMeNOhPee1

Beer Trader

Maybe Ill leave the Mocha Wednesday at home and bring something more of a shelf beer, in case they do take it, no biggie.

Eduk8traz and Gemini6 like this.
  14. mikio

mikio Initiate (113) Dec 12, 2016 Massachusetts

Based on my one cruise yes you can bring a 750 of beer instead of wine or champagne. I did get questioned about the 'bourbon' wording on the barrel aged stout as the foreign security guy thought it was liquor.

Regarding drink plans, they are a good way to go and there are several options. You don't need to worry about setting it up in advance. Upon purchasing your first beverage every waiter and waitress will offer you a deal and you can basically buy 12 beers for the price of 10, they'll pour you one or however many you want on deck and have the remainder delivered to your room fridge. I got 12 Cigar City Jai Alai IPA's for something like $45 and did that a couple times.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  15. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (583) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

How about just remove the label? The only way they would know it's beer would be to open the bottle.

DrederickTatum, jrnyc and BWood like this.
  16. NCGreg

NCGreg Initiate (58) Jun 20, 2016 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I think the phrase, "YOLO" might apply here.

ManBearPat, Gemini6 and eLeMeNOhPee1 like this.
  17. eLeMeNOhPee1

Beer Trader

Yes, there's an old saying, "go big OR go home". Well I changed it to, "go big THEN go home"

18. zid

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

eLeMeNOhPee1 likes this.
  19. Ndfan1323

Ndfan1323 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 California

I have been on over 20 cruises and never seen craft beers on the ship..Maybe at best my options were Carib and franziskaner but def not Jai alai..Were you on a craft beer cruise??? And even with the 2 free I've never seen beers for cheaper than $6 a pop..You need to tell me this cruise line you were on please!!!

Gemini6 likes this.
  20. mikio

mikio Initiate (113) Dec 12, 2016 Massachusetts

Not a craft brew cruise! This was a Disney Cruise from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas last June. I was pretty psyched they had Jai Alai. There were a couple other decent Florida options but Jai Alai was easily the best

HuskyHawk and THSdrummer like this.
  21. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Initiate (175) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You make your kids carry them through on their person. No X-rays, no scrutiny. They go through the gates first, you tell them to get back to their room and have them run up the ramp. Security has a huge line of people to deal with, if the kids didn't trip the medal detector they aren't going to bother with them.

22. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (544) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Best thing to do is empty your mouth wash and fill it with some liquor. Free coke and juice on the cruise. Then let the ladies know free drinks in room 123.

23. dscott421

dscott421 Initiate (152) Jun 13, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I'd just throw it in your suitcase.... Then again last cruise I went on I had a fifth of bourbon and a fifth of vodka in my checked bag. They actually opened the bag to take out the iron that wasn't allowed, but left both fifths in there. I don't think the cruise workers care as much as we tend to think they do.

24. zstef99

zstef99 Initiate (35) Dec 25, 2008 New York

So that's why I've never seen Michael Phelps on a cruise. ;)

GetMeAnIPA, jmdrpi, jrnyc and 6 others like this.
  25. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Zealot (560) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I know that Carnival Cruise lines, on their Florida launches, have Cigar City beers onboard.

26. eLeMeNOhPee1

Beer Trader

All very helpful advice. I think I am going to give it a try, and will report back after. Cruise isnt for a month or so. I am not sure what i'll bring, but Im sure ill try to bring something. Thanks again.

27. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Zealot (568) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Subscriber

I think the simple solution is to call them and ask this question, then you know in advance and don't waste any beer if they make you toss it. It sounds pretty clear in the info you posted that beer is prohibited so it seems pretty likely they won't allow any.
    Cheers.

28. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,344) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Your going on a nice cruise and your thinking of smuggling on a bottle of beer? Bring a nice bottle of wine or Champagne and try and survive on the beer the ship has available. I'm sure it will be a great trip enjoy.

29. bbtkd

bbtkd Crusader (721) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota

jrnyc likes this.
  30. cg123

cg123 Initiate (137) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

This soooo much. Last cruise I was on we stopped at a gas station on the way to the port. I bought a case of Budweiser and dumped it in my bag. Left the bag with the ship porters as we checked in and when the bag arrived at our room a few hours later, all the beer was there. Bag must have weighed 85 lbs too.

They have thousands of bags to check and I assume they are looking for things a lot more important than some beer.

eLeMeNOhPee1 and ebin6 like this.
  31. ebin6

ebin6 Disciple (335) Jun 11, 2009 California

I'd go with those that suggest a less costly 750 (I'd go with a Belgian saison personally). I hate the beer discrimination thing and would do it just to test the system, honestly. I get barring cases, or even 4-packs for that matter, of beer, but a single 750 serves exactly the same purpose.

Side rant: There are two Italian restaurants that are across the street from each other in my city. But have no corkage fees. We usually go to restaurant A, but decided to switch things up and go to B. I pulled out a saison for myself and my aunt had a Pliny. They told us we couldn't drink them there. We promptly went to restaurant B.

It really bothers me that beer is seen differently for some reason. And it's not because of behavior; people routinely get wasted off of wine at restaurant B (mostly because everyone brings a bottle, so it's a 1:1 ratio). How long do people think the "beer is low-class" stigma will linger in mainstream places?

jmdrpi, Oktoberfiesta and Hoppedelic like this.
  32. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (92) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Just go for it, MW is in a classy enough bottle that it won't offend anybody. I'd be happy if I could sneak that on and they had a halfway decent craft option on tap like Sierra Nevada but the main thing would be I would have to be able to get herb onboard. No herb on a cruise would suck.

ManBearPat and pianoguy like this.
  33. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,352) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I think it's hit or miss. Our one (&only) cruise I lost the 750ML I brought but my wife didn't lose hers. We bought & brought shelf beers so no big deal, but don't bring anything you wouldn't mind leaving behind & losing.

eLeMeNOhPee1 and nc41 like this.
  34. zid

Beer Trader

What beers did you two bring?

35. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Crusader (772) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I would guess that the people doing the screening won't be able to distinguish between a bottle of wine and a Bruery beer. Same form factor...similar labels.

Aren't these basically people that couldn't cut it in the TSA?

eLeMeNOhPee1 likes this.
  36. eLeMeNOhPee1

Beer Trader

Thought about wine but don't enjoy it as much as beer. I figure its worth the risk if all that happens is they toss it. Don't lose my boarding pass. Maybe shelf turd 750's if i give it a shot

37. nc41

Beer Trader

Sorry it's silly. I'm spending 5k on a week cruise, schlepping beers onto a cruise ship is the least of my worries. Bring what they allow to save a buck, or what's personal you guys both enjoy. I'd gladly drink whatever beer they serve, if it's Bud so what? If they have beers you enjoy more go for it, IMO it seems like an incredible pain in the ass to try and beat the system for this. Why sweat on being busted, or embarrassed? Not worth it.

TriggerFingers and surfcaster like this.
  38. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,352) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

One was a Steel Toe Barrel Aged Wee Heavy (which survived) & the other was a local Florida beer that I have no memory of now. I think it was as simple as the two different people examining luggage, because everything else seemed pretty similar.

zid likes this.
  39. eLeMeNOhPee1

Beer Trader

You must be going on a nice cruise. This cruise is only $250 for 3 nights. I guess the risk is worth the reward for me. I thought I would've found someone who had tried by now, guess not.

ebin6 and nc41 like this.
  40. nc41

Beer Trader

Cruises from NC to FL to sea ran about $2500 person last time I checked for Norwegian Lines. Id rather sit on a beach.

But still, enjoy the cruise, I wouldn't sweat a small thing like beer for 3 days.

If I was going a bit rogue I'd look to find a way to bring along a nice bottle of bourbon. An old Listerene bottle maybe and shrink wrap it closed to make it look nice. The color might be about right. Ah, but not for a beer.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe