Going on cruise that allows 1 750 mL bottle of wine or champagne Can I get away with bringing beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elemenohpee1, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,331) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Take a Biere de Champagne. DeuS Brut des Flandres would be an excellent choice.

readyski and elemenohpee1 like this.
  2. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan

What is the reason for specifically not allowing the 750 to be beer? This seems like a weird rule.

3. elemenohpee1

elemenohpee1 Aspirant (239) Oct 29, 2014 California
    Trader

I guess it's the cruise lines image.

dcotom likes this.
  4. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (471) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

a 750 of barleywine sounds like the safest bet

beerluvr likes this.
  5. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

Yeah, this is probably right.

We didn't try to bring on any beer, but my mom bought some cheap wine bottles with a screw top covered in foil. She emptied the wine and then filled it with rum and added a little food coloring to match the original color, then glued the foil back over the screw top. It was kind of impressive, really. Also, she made a little first aid kit for each of our bags with bandaids, Neosporin, etc. and put a hydrogen peroxide bottle, which were all filled with bourbon, in them. All of this made it on. We went through a couple different lines between us when boarding and it seemed like the guy at one line didn't even look at the bottles, whereas another made my brother bring his over for closer inspection but passed it. As long as it's not blatantly obvious that it's been tampered with, you'll most likely be fine. But I probably wouldn't risk some rare bottle just in case. No experience trying to bring regular bottles/cans on, but I imagine the success rate is somewhat lower.

There's decent enough beer on board. Sam Adams, probably a Sierra, Blue Moon, some sort of amber that's contract-brewed for one of their onboard bars that isn't too bad.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  6. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (449) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

I went on Jam Cruise and dropped LSD on q tips haha. Worked great.

7. LavaLite

LavaLite Initiate (49) Dec 3, 2016 Illinois

As mentioned, I doubt the workers really care as long as the bottle size and count is at or under the limit.
    For those who have gone on a cruise, how is the procedure for boarding ? Wifey and I are planning a cruise soon and Im wondering what to expect.

8. Lurchus

Lurchus Initiate (197) Jan 19, 2014 Germany

Uhm, would it be worth all that hassle for you just to have that beer, when you could just bring wine, hassle-free?

dcotom, Badfish and drtth like this.
  9. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Aspirant (209) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Seems like a lot of effort to smuggle booze on to a cruise.

Badfish and Lurchus like this.
  10. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (433) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Your mom is the best :slight_smile:

11. meefmoff

Trader

I'd flip it around and ask why not spend a little effort to drink what you want to drink when you want to drink it? It's not like he's scaling a mountain or, ummm, waiting in a 4 hour line on a zero degree day anything.

Also, he's hardly alone when it comes to cruises. There are entire product lines devoted to smuggling booze on board. I've never been on a cruise, but I can vouch for this thing working well at music festivals :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/Concealable-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T6EV7YSE15DM95SQA0ZC

As others have said, the best advice seems to be just not to bring anything you'd be heartbroken to lose.

elemenohpee1 likes this.
  12. james02

james02 Initiate (91) Jan 29, 2015 New York

What are they going to do, throw you overboard??? Heave ho Gilligan...

13. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (729) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Probably just an old policy that hasn't been updated in 10 years to reflect the growth of beers in that format.

14. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (899) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Princess Cruises has their own craft beer line-up called Seawitch. They contract each beer in the line-up with a different US craft brewery. The Seawitch beers are good, and certainly a step up from the typical domestic and euro beers on the ship. http://www.princess.com/50th-anniversary/celebrations-onboard/drink-it-up/seawitch.html

But they were ridiculously expensive at $9-$10 per 12oz bottle (and Seawitch was specifically excluded from any specials or drink packages) causing me to severely cut back on my beer for that trip. What's funny is I am sure I would have spent more on beer during that trip if the price was more reasonable, but I was definitely much tighter with my wallet than normal out of spite and indignation at what they were charging. At least my liver had a good vacation, even if the rest of me didn't (for many reasons besides the beer/alcohol I hope to never do a cruise again).

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  15. elemenohpee1

Trader

#55 elemenohpee1, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    ManBearPat, Badfish and zid like this.
  16. HouseofWortship

Trader

beerluvr and Badfish like this.
  17. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,005) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I agree. Take two really nice bottles of sparkling wine and enjoy the bejesus out of them.

18. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,005) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I hope you have fun on your cruise. Honestly. But what is the cruise line image? Is it like Las Vegas on water? And, what is Thirsty Frog? Apologies in advance.

19. kro79

kro79 Initiate (39) Aug 18, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I have been on a handful of cruises and never had hard time bringing anything on board. Just put it in your luggage and make sure its secure. Last time I brought 2 bottles of vodka, a bottle of rum and six pack of cans in my suite case.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  20. beersite

beersite Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2016 Illinois

maybe just email them and ask? I know it sounds crazy and all.

and if they say no, possibly just honor their rules and drink the beer when you get home? CRAZY TALK!

JrGtr and Badfish like this.
  21. Jonsmiley57

Jonsmiley57 Initiate (46) Jul 17, 2014 Pennsylvania

I'm going on a Carnival out of Florida later this year. I am now even more excited!! This is gonna be awesome if there's Cigar City. I've always just drank their inBEV Thirsty Frog from lack of better options (which is actually a nice beer).

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  22. Badger72

Badger72 Initiate (70) Mar 8, 2013 Louisiana

Do what I did: I brought Viking Blod mead. They tried to say it wasn't wine, but I quickly pointed out that it says wine on the bottle so I scored in bringing two mead bottles on ship (wife begrudgingly went along)

23. elemenohpee1

Trader

Where did you depart from?

24. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Disciple (396) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Agreed. Same on my Disney cruise last spring. The big winner though was Ayinger Celebrator on tap in the "Irish Pub". I bought the larger refillable mug so was getting 22oz of it for $6

25. HouseofWortship

Trader

I guess bring a "barleywine" in that case...

26. Badger72

Badger72 Initiate (70) Mar 8, 2013 Louisiana

I departed from Miami on a Carnival cruise.

27. spaceman24

My mom is what I lovingly call "thrifty."

Also I think it kind of became almost like a personal contest for her to see if she could get it through.

28. spaceman24

We all appreciated her efforts, there's no doubting that. :grinning:

meefmoff likes this.
  29. Lurchus

Because you go on a cruise to relax, right?
    Arguing with the bording staff if your "barley wine" counts as a wine or not is not my personal idea of a nice relaxing time. Drinking a nice grape wine is. But I guess to each their own..

I used to smuggle beers at music festivals, sure.
    But I was 16,maybe 17 back then. Now, especially at the non commercial festivals I visit, I happily pay for a beer or two if it supports the festival itself..

drtth likes this.
  30. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Initiate (51) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania

Beer is legal to possess. Taking it without compensation is theft. Signing a contract does not give someone the right to commit a crime. Just saying.

31. Lurchus

So, going by that logic-
    when you enter a restaurant, sit down at a table,order nothing and pull out your own sandwich and some beer you brought from home....The restaurant owner would not have the right to take it "without compentsation", because sandwiches and beer are "legal to possess"?
    Interesting point of view, to say the least..

32. zid

zid Meyvn (1,376) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

"Flags of convenience" exist just so a ship's crew can take beer without prosecution. Those line-cutting pirates don't even need to join The Bruery Preservation Society! It's ridiculous!

@rgordon

rgordon likes this.
  33. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,362) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

You are confusing Contract Law with Criminal Law. A legally binding contract is, by definition, a limitation on actions of the parties bound by the agreement.

In this scenario passengers who attempt to smuggle beer on board have already agreed to have it confiscated if caught. That is a forfeiture, not a theft.

Lucular, Andy1010 and drtth like this.
  34. meefmoff

Trader

These are multi-day festivals with on site camping so it's nice to have an old fashioned around bed time. I appreciate the time and thought that went into your unearned swipe though.

And again, if you think:

"Hey, this isn't allowed on the cruise"
    "Oh, sorry, I didn't know"

constitutes vacation wrecking anxiety then so be it.

35. Jaywalsh20

Jaywalsh20 Zealot (533) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

%5BURL=http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/J...A897-D9C54C96DD37_zpsxhooantk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Actual bottle of Speedway stout I brought on Carnival. TSA tried to take it away, but I convinced them it was wine:grinning: Don't worry about them confiscating your bottles, I had a bunch of Jai Alai and Marshal Zhukov I acquired and had nowhere else to put them, so I brought them on the ship. They hold your beer in a room until the last day of the cruise in which you can pick up your belongings. Carnival does carry Invasion and Florida Cracker as well.
    For all those people saying why not avoid the hassle, it's not worth it....going a week without good beer sucks!

VABA likes this.
  36. elemenohpee1

Trader

That photo bucket link is not working for me.

37. ryhayes

ryhayes Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Ohio

You just made my day, I am on one of those Disney Cruises at the end of March. Daddy happy.

38. elemenohpee1

Trader

The link doesnt work but when I quoted it I can see the photo...good stuff

39. Jaywalsh20

Jaywalsh20 Zealot (533) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Don't use photobucket! It's the worst. Everyone should switch to Imgur on here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.