Going to Philly - Need good bottle shops

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by PSU_Mike, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

My sister and brother-in-law live near Valley Forge. I know Russian River distributes there amongst others that I can't get in Pittsburgh. Where should I go to get some bottles? I am looking for selection and am less concerned with price.

2. mythaeus

mythaeus Crusader (762) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Valley Forge is 30-minute outside of Philly...without traffic. The Beer Shoppe in Ardmore, The Greek Next Door in Narberth are a little closer to you. Others in the burbs will chime in with better info.

If you come down to Philly and not concerned about price, Beer Heaven. They have some pretty hard to find/get beers and was one of the last stores to have Temptation because of higher prices. I actually dropped $38+ (after tax) on a bottle of BA Old Rasputin XV recently, but they are the only one with one. Local 44 bottle shop may still have some RR.

Your best bet is actually check out http://www.beermenus.com/search?q=russian river and select Philadelphia. Many bars will sell them to go, but usually more expensive.

3. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

My brother-in-law got us reservations at Monks in the afternoon which I've heard is amazing. But I am looking for a place to load up on some bottles to take back.

4. beerfinder

beerfinder Aspirant (259) Jan 17, 2008 Pennsylvania

The Wegmans in KOP has a large selection, also try the Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting.

5. zekeman17

zekeman17 Crusader (743) Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Wow, three responses and nobody has said Capone's yet!
    Capone's, there, I said it.

jmdrpi likes this.
  6. mythaeus

Trader

Monk's will sell SOME bottles to go. There are no specific ones that they will as far as I know, you'll have to ask. What they will NOT sell to go are the Cantillons.

7. JCrider

JCrider Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

Check out Local 44 in Spruce Hill. I was there just last month and picked up some Batch 4 Consecration. They can be a bit pricey on some of their library beers, but they do have a great selection. Nice people too.

8. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,401) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

And this is actually a thread where it's an appropriate answer!

9. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Reservations, as in to eat? Go to Monks for the beer, not the food. Unless you just want to eat an overpriced very average burger while sampling the beers.

Monks will have great bottles, though as mentioned above, what's available "to go" will less stellar and overpriced.

10. mythaeus

Trader

Monk's is well-known for mussels. They are excellent there. Everything else is average at best. Avoid the burgers!

11. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Honestly, I've been routinely underwhelmed by the mussels. I'm within walking distance from Monk's, and have been for over a decade. I go for the beer, it is AWSOME, but that's it.

As not to hijack, OP go to: http://www.fooderybeer.com/ the largest selection of "to go" bottles in the city.

12. mythaeus

Trader

Interestingly enough, I found the mussels to be just OK every so often that I got them. The last time though, it was outstanding! I had mussels all over the city and that last pot was just way out there good. Maybe it's a hit or miss thing, but I know most people love the mussels there.

I was hesitant about making The Foodery recommendation. I used to go there all the time, but the prices are high, even higher than Beer Heaven for many of the beers, and some of the best stuff like Cantillon are kept "behind the counter" if they get them. They do have the best price on Bruery Bois in Philly though, just under $30 before tax. The NoLibs location still has Avery UJ...almost $20 after tax! Nothing else really special there right now though. Beer Heaven typically has more special stuff, IMO.

HRamz3 likes this.
  13. shadowane

shadowane Initiate (87) Sep 7, 2007 Pennsylvania

Spruce Hill. Hah. You mean 43rd and Spruce (or 42nd or 44th I can never remember) in West Philly.

14. JCrider

JCrider Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

Not from Philly or spend much time there, so I just reference what google maps says. Either way...yep..that one.

15. fdig23

fdig23 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2012 Pennsylvania

AKA Spruce Hill. It's 44th and Spruce.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spruce_Hill,_Philadelphia

As was already said, prices are high on the rarer stuff, but there's plenty of interesting beers available.

16. nuggetlover

nuggetlover Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Pinnochio's in Media has a nice selection...

17. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey

Beer heaven on Delaware Ave. has a very nice selection. A little pricey, but a place I hit every time I'm in Philly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.