Going to start Homebrewing

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by nickapalooza86, Apr 4, 2013.

1. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin

So like the title implies I have decided that it is time to start brewing... I was at a brewery tasting rencently and apparently the way I talked about certain hops and malts doing things to the beer made the brewery representitive assume I was a homebrewer. The owner of the local bottle shop was also suprised that I did not brew, so I said to myself "why the hell am I not brewing??"

First question is
    Where is the best place to buy equipment?
    Best books, I bought How To Brew by John J. Palmer, which seems pretty in depth.
    Easiest style to try first?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Nick

inchrisin likes this.
  2. kbuzz

kbuzz Jan 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Order equipment online or at a local homebrew shop...a starter kit will suffice

John Palmer is all you really need as far as books...I would recommend a subscription to BYO or Zymergy to supplement

As far as easiest style, doesn't matter a whole lot, but I would recommend an extract kit so you don't have to think too hard about the ingredients and you can concentrate on the process..

basscram likes this.
  3. nickapalooza86

Thanks, I appreciate that a lot!

4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

My first brew was a brewers best extract kit. It was lackluster at best when I finished, however it gave me the opportunity to concentrate on my process. I did a lot of reading at first and found the joy of homebrewing to be a bit more approachable as a novice. How to brew has the same knowledge and information, but seemed to be a littlle more overwhelming to me at the time. Once I got a couple batches finished how to brew made more sense.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  5. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

brew a German Hefe. Grain to glass in 3 weeks and it'll give you something to drink while you are making your next batch.

6. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

I would recommend any style you like to drink that allows you to use dry yeast. The process for a heffe/ipa/or stout/etc is going to be very similar. Starters aren't difficult, but using dry removes one more (unnecessary) thing you need to worry about to make a great beer. Also keep in mind that the very lightest of styles are slightly more difficult in that they do not mask any flaws in your technique very well.

In addition to the books, be fairly active on this forum and on HBT and you'll pick up all kinds of info very quickly.

Good luck.

7. nickapalooza86

8. JUNCK

JUNCK Jan 7, 2011 Washington

Control your fermentation as best as possible.

9. stealth

stealth Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Check out the starter kits at Northern Brewer - they come with a recipe kit as well to start out with. The caribou slobber is delicious.

10. Tebuken

Tebuken Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

Welcome abord Sir, you can check-out any time you like, but you can never live!!!.

11. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior May 21, 2010 Texas

Biggest issue is fermentation temperature control, and sanitation.

Make sure you're fermenting in the 60's if possible (66F room temperature would be perfect). Do ales at first, I suggest US-05 for clean beers or S-04 if you want an "English" kind of taste. Nottingham also good. All work well at this temp.

Make sure you PITCH the yeast when the wort is in the 60's too.

Be anal about sanitation! Use starsan.

Get an AUTO-siphon.

I suggest an all-extract wheat beer for your first beer. Wheat extract is really good.

This thread has lots of great info. Make sure to read scurvy311's posts.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe