Golden Ales

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Warwick7, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (42) May 25, 2019 Maryland

What are your thoughts on them?

Premo88 likes this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,098) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My 'vote' would be YES.

Cheers!

Billet, unhyped, PatrickCT and 6 others like this.
  3. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,339) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Like... Duvel? Yes please.

4. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (1,839) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Oh yea
    I too vote yes for something like Duvel

5. pbrian

pbrian Defender (651) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Sure, why not?

6. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Defender (609) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

There should be a thousand and one golden ales. And they should all be exactly like Duvel.

7. Warwick7

They seemed to be over looked a lot for Pale Ales and AALs. I love them, they have more flavor than domestics but are close in price. Scuttlebutt Homeport is my favorite.

Clarification: when I say Golden Ale, I am reffering to the color not the technical name. I am thinking of Malt forward low to medium Abv Ales. This would include, Summer Ales, Blonde Ales and some Pale Ales.

8. Warwick7

When I think of a Golden Ale I think refreshing. I would say Leffe is refreshing but on the end of the scale. I will have to have it again to see if I still feel that way.

9. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (903) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

10. Warwick7

I like Duvel, I rarely go farther then 7.9% though I am more of a quanity drinker.

Premo88 likes this.
  11. Warwick7

The Ale in your pic is one of the ones I was thinking of when I made this.

Premo88 likes this.
  12. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,459) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Only if they are done well with decent flavor, typically that means done with Belgian yeast.

13. Warwick7

Maybe the drinkers of tommorow will want more flavor then AAL. But im not sure if this will be in are lifetime. Seems most of US are all or nothing. AAL or intense flavor /High IBU.

14. JackHorzempa

Society

And the answer is still Yes!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

15. JackHorzempa

Society

Scrapss, Foyle, beerluvr and 2 others like this.
  16. Warwick7

Great how do you feel about Leffe?

Premo88 likes this.
  17. Noah_Aimar

Noah_Aimar Initiate (111) May 13, 2019 Oregon
    Trader

I still remember the first time I tried Damnation from RRBC, I was out hunting other styles of golden ales the very next day. Really an underrated style that I think could contend with IPAs for popularity due solely to the fact that they are so incredibly easy to drink.

Warwick7 and Premo88 like this.
  18. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,824) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Ha - I thought the same thing when I read this thread, but, as noted above, it's now "Molson Golden - Premium Beer", described by Molson Coors:
    Now, if you wanted a real Golden Ale - reach for Pride of Pennsylvania Ales - Old Shay Golden Ale - from Victor, then Fort Pitt Brewing Co. AND, eventually, from Jones Brewing Co. (In between those last 2 PA breweries, it was brewed in Maryland by, I think, Baltimore's American Brewing Co.).
    [​IMG]

Scrapss, JackHorzempa and Premo88 like this.
  19. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,809) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Then my answer is LOVE them, especially the ones like Fuller's Oliver's Island:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/71/177335/

It's classified here as an English pale ale, but the brewery calls it a "golden ale" and it follows your description well — a lighter colored, malt-forward ale with a 3.8% ABV. It tastes almost exactly like a standard bitter minus about half the hop bitterness. On cask it's perfect. Same for Timothy Taylor's Golden Best, a 3.5% bitter in the same vein.

As for stateside stuff, Brooklyn's Summer Ale, Victory's Summer Love and a few others work well enough, though they tend to be too high in ABV to my liking.

My problem with most American-made blonde/golden ales is the caramel and creamed corn notes. I think those show up most in the beers that aren't well constructed, but that's just a guess.

champ103 likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

Society

It has been a very long time since I drank a Leffe Blonde but I recall enjoying it. Most of the Belgian Ales that I consume are my homebrewed beers: Quad, Tripel, Dubbel, Saison, Belgian Pale Ale,...

At the risk of sounding pretentious these homebrewed beers are 'better' than what I can buy (and these beers are damned expensive). I should caveat that I tailor these homebrewed beers for my personal palate.

Cheers!

21. JackHorzempa

Society

I think the contemporary PA beer of Victory Summer Love Golden Ale is a very good beer.

Cheers
    [​IMG]
    https://www.victorybeer.com/beers/summerlove/

Cheers!

22. Warwick7

I am about to drink Homeport.

Premo88 likes this.
  23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,678) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I'm glad Wyoming is rich in Golden and Blonde Ales. Drinkability is something that I always reach for, even when they are not session Ales.

Foyle, Premo88 and Warwick7 like this.
  24. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (248) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I know Kona and the CBA brands are not big 'round here...but Kona Big Wave is a fantastic blonde ale.

Premo88 likes this.
  25. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (868) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Golden Ale just means it's a beer with a golden color and I have no other expectations flavorwise [although I would be surprised if one had smoke/roast flavors]. It's a "style" so broad and versatile that it's nearly impossible to discuss without qualifiers. Calling beers like Duvel, Molson Golden, Leffe, Fuller's Oliver Island, Victory Summer Love, Brooklyn Summer, etc. discussed above simply golden ales does nothing to differentiate them from anything else.

EDIT: There's talk on these pages about there being too many beer styles... if styles were ever eliminated the "golden ale" seems like an easy one to cut and merge with other styles.

#25 Ranbot, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    tzieser likes this.
  26. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Belgian Strong Pale. Not something I think aboot when I think of Golden Ales.

alucard6679 and scootercrabb like this.
  27. Warwick7

Scuttlebutt Homeport Ale is great. Stouts are gorgoues but its nice to change.

Cheers

Bitterbill likes this.
  28. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,052) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Since you seem to enjoy posting a lot about English-style ales, I'd check out Mayflower if you're ever up in MA. They make a pretty decent English-style Golden Ale, as well as a few other English-inspired styles (like their Porter).

EDIT: apparently their portfolio of beers has sadly taken on a boring "Modern" left hand turn. Gone is the english-style pale ale. A sign of the times, unfortunately. Sad.

Amendm and Bitterbill like this.
  29. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (511) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Most of the beers I've seen that presented a golden color are Blonde Ales, American and Belgian. Many beers that have the word "Golden" in their name also are Blondes.
    This is a popular time of year for Blondes, a style often hidden by other pale beers.
    A nice break from drier hop forward beers.
    A stand out for me was Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewing, deep gold with a slight haze. Enjoyed this before I began reviewing, now on the lookout for a revisit.

#29 Amendm, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    PapaGoose03, Bitterbill and Warwick7 like this.
  30. Warwick7

To me Golden sounds 100x better than Blonde. Then theres Pale, which ive seen Golden to Amber.

Amendm likes this.
  31. zid

zid Meyvn (1,311) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I get it, but Duvel calls their beer a golden ale... and "Belgian strong pale ale" is just a BeerAdvocate category. One should put higher priority on the former; or at least not use one to negate the other. :slight_smile:

Bitterbill, drtth and Amendm like this.
  32. Warwick7

I love Macro Ales honestly, they are the first Ales we drank , its what got us off AAL and the price is much kinder.

33. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Eh. I go by BA's definition of a Blonde Ale. Literally. I'm not going to change my mind aboot that any time soon. Belgian beers have a way of deviating from the norm for a style. Kudos to that but I am more of a purist.

drtth likes this.
  34. Warwick7

Its hard to take Ale labels seriously after reading a thread about Stouts vs Porters. They seem to go with what sounds better, If thats the case then I dont Want to say Blonde Ale anymore ha

Leffe Golden Ale

35. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Yeah, Belgian Blonde Ale.

36. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,943) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Especially, IIRC since the Belgians do not think of their beers in terms of "styles" as we do.

Bitterbill likes this.
  37. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Exactly. I remember an old quote from New Belgium. What is style? I doubt anyone remembers that. :wink:

drtth likes this.
  38. Warwick7

Reminds me of the Rock stars who disliked Labels

drtth likes this.
  39. Warwick7

Or those People that just have to Call Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath Metal when they refuse the term.

40. scootercrabb

scootercrabb Disciple (398) May 2, 2007 Illinois

I think you would enjoy Revolutions Cross of Gold one of the best golden ales around easy drinking and low abv.

SaltofOH and Warwick7 like this.