Good Bottles of Recent Fantome?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mandark, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddedhed

ddedhed Disciple (330) Dec 4, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Just had a bottle of Dark White. It was delicious. I was surprised how much flavor it had compared to the abv.

FantomeOpera likes this.
  2. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (596) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Everything I have had from them (at least 10 different beers and a total 20 or so bottles) in the last year and a half and they have all been smokey. Not only am I done buying Fantome beers, I am done sampling them. The last straw was when a friend generously share his bottle of extra sour (recent batch) and we all thought is was horrible. $26 down the drain.

chippo33 and devlishdamsel like this.
  3. FantomeOpera

FantomeOpera Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 California

Hounded out by everyone,
    Met with hatred everywhere,
    No kind words from anyone,
    No compassion anywhere,
    BA..... BA....
    Why, why....?

4. DrinkSlurm

DrinkSlurm Poo-Bah (1,767) Oct 3, 2007 New York

I have weighed in on this several times before...
    everything Fantome does is delicious. His dedication to the craft and authenticity of the process is outstanding. I continue to buy and enjoy every bottle of Fantome - even if some are "sick" or smokey, or whatever...its all part of the old school way of making beer, and I love it. I wish more breweries would do what Danny is doing.
    Take it for what it is and stop bitching about it.

JulianB, Mandark, ADTaber and 3 others like this.
  5. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (596) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

I am glad you enjoy infected beer, I don't, different strokes I guess.

6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,834) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

That is a quality brewery to some, but they have a lot of quality issues.

7. hobbitz

hobbitz Initiate (127) Jun 17, 2010 Rhode Island

Had their regular Saison on weds. It tasted good

wonothesane42 likes this.
  8. wonothesane42

wonothesane42 Devotee (474) Jan 22, 2013 New Jersey

I had a bottle of the regular saison last week, it was amazing, best beer I ever had!

MarioM likes this.
  9. incapacitant

incapacitant Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 New York

Enjoyed a saison a week ago and it wasn't infected, "ropey", or "smokey." I love Fantome.

10. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

had a regular saison a couple months ago that was shipped to my door from belgium. it was funky, cheesy, and delicious. like drinking a glass of stilton.

sampled extra sour dark at a bottle share. it was smokey and horrid.

11. MarioM

MarioM Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2009 California

Recently had Printemps, which was a bit smokey at first but still delicious. de Noel and their regular Saison were amazing, and easily some of the best beers I've ever had...

12. the1DarkLord

the1DarkLord Initiate (54) Nov 19, 2010 California

Now that I think about it, it's been at least a year or more since I bought a bottle of Fantome. That is primarly thanks to the inconsistent quality I've seen in the past combined with the slightly higher prices (compared to other comparable/more consistent products).

When they're on... they are ON. I'm usually just too scared/poor to take that risk if there are other desirable options available.

13. matt_6

matt_6 Initiate (77) Jul 23, 2013 New York
    Trader

Had a Saison earlier this month and it was fantastic.

14. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Zealot (586) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio

Tried my first Fantome this evening, the Printemps. The appearance is cloudy and the smoky/peaty flavor is there (like someone else said, it's like an Islay whisky), certainly not saison-like, but it tastes pretty good me (of course, Lagavulin is my favorite whisky, so I am predisposed to liking peaty flavors). I have no basis of comparison, so I have no idea how "off" this bottle is, but I thought it was pretty OK. Not the best saison I've ever had but I didn't gag or drainpour it or anything.

15. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

To be honest, everyone's descriptions of the good and bad beers they've had from Fantome sound absolutely horrid to me.. If I actually saw one of these beers on a shelf of any stores I frequent, I would go so far as to pick it up and look at it ...if I was wearing latex gloves..

16. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (234) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

It's a shame that nobody has had any good bottles in a year or two. They must be pretty bad, it seems all the Binnys out in Chicago's suburbs completely stopped carrying anything from Fantome.

When Danny was on, he was on.

17. cmoody91

cmoody91 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2010 Illinois

Had a few Printemps this year with varying levels of smoky/bandaid/latex qualities. Really weird beer. However the regular Saison that was fresh this year was absolutely incredible. I have had two bottles this year of the Saison and it is spot on, blackberry sorbet, crisp, clean and just lovely.

18. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Disciple (355) Oct 2, 2010 Netherlands

I was in Belgium this weekend and stumbled on a pile of Fantome (€ 4.38 a bottle). I bought 2 Pissenlit, 2 Bon Bons and 2 Dark White. They were all great. The Pissenlit might just be the best beer I have EVER had.

On my way home I bought 12 more bottles...

19. logicerror

logicerror Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2010 California

I've been confused about Fantome for a while... their beers maintain very good scores on the site here, but literally any time I see any threads/posts about their stuff it's nothing but complaints about the bottle being all f'd up.

Have they always had this hit/miss ratio, or at least waves of bad batches? Or is it all a very recent development?

20. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Poo-Bah (3,441) May 29, 2005 Ohio
    Society

Fantome Chocolat has been a favorite of mine for years. In July I bought a couple bottles in Chicago (it was the first time I'd seen it in about a year).

On opening it I did smell a moderate level of smokiness. The smoke in fact was a significant factor in the flavor too, although I could still sense the underlying chocolat awesomeness. In a nutshell it took the beer from a 5 to a 3.75, a pretty significant change. I love rauchbiers but not smoky saisons.

Now, 2 months later, Printemps is available in OH. This is another favorite of mine from Fantome but I'm not buying it this year. I hate to say it, but I'm done with Fantome until I hear that this issue is cleared up.

21. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Disciple (355) Oct 2, 2010 Netherlands

I had my first Fantome a couple of years ago. I wasn't impressed at all. So many better Saisons to be had in Belgium.
    This weekend I happened to run into some and bought a few. They were all great and Pissenlit blew my mind.

It's a bit easier to roll the dice on them for me since I can buy them in Belgium and they are cheap. If had to buy them for $25+ a bottle I'm not sure if I had given it a second chance. Know that when they are good, they are GREAT!

22. 77black_ships

77black_ships Disciple (393) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Had a 5 Sciences recently, no issues.

23. ddedhed

ddedhed Disciple (330) Dec 4, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Had the regular saison yesterday. There was very slight smokiness that did not detract from the flavor IMO. Also had a nice barnyard funkiness, which I love.

24. LeperJim

LeperJim Meyvn (1,042) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Oh yeah. Love the murky barnyard funk that's been wrung from a soggy horse blanket directly into my chalice. Need to spend a week at Brasserie Fantôme and find out exactly what all these beautiful ales really taste like...

25. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2012 New York

Although its frustrating buying a $15 drainpour I've noticed one thing that might help. In the regular saison, if it looks like it almost has a fluorescent glow to it in the bottle (a la ectocooler) it's gonna taste ok, but it's gonna have the consistency of shampoo. That's the only way I've been able to tell the good ones apart.

26. errantnight

errantnight Savant (945) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

Ignorance is always proud.

27. errantnight

errantnight Savant (945) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

Sick / ropey is pedio doing its thing, not Brett.

28. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (234) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

But brett cleans up pedio ropes given enough time. Of course, this ia Fantome, no guarantees brett is even in the beer.

29. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,322) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I wish. All of the new bottles I've had have been a disaster.

30. Mandark

Mandark Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2008 Illinois

I'm going to open a new bottle of Brise Bon Bons later today that I've had sitting in the dark for a couple months and transferred to the 'fridge yesterday. Hopefully I'll have good news to report.

31. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,703) May 12, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

Fantome apologists are hilarious. The ship started sinking a few years back - I'm out.

devlishdamsel and BrettHead like this.
  32. BrettHead

BrettHead Zealot (504) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I opened a Fantome Saison on Friday that geysered and SHOWERED me in beer. Maybe a 1/4th of the bottle was left after that. It tasted pretty bad (smokey etc.), and had bits of hop trub, barley husks, and other BS in it. *sigh*

No it wasn't shook up; I was pretty ticked off to be soaking in beer and out $15. Thanks Dany...

33. Misanthropy_Sipping

Misanthropy_Sipping Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Nebraska

Personally, I have enjoyed the smokiness on the Fantomes. I've been very fortunate to have tried three different Fantomes this year and non of them were bad whatsoever. Far from it. All of them have been absolutely intriguing and probably among the best saisons I have ever had in my entire life. The only thing that could bring me sorrow over Fantome is if the legacy does not continue. His is surely a method that should continue to be passed down through the ages.

misterid and Mandark like this.
  34. Northlax3

Northlax3 Initiate (94) Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey

This is what it looks like, for the curious.

35. Mandark

Mandark Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2008 Illinois

Brise-Bonbons tonight was splendid--well carbonated, a little hazy, bitter, the Fantome yeast right out front. No smoke or latex or any other off flavors. Another winner.

36. mntlover

mntlover Poo-Bah (2,365) Jun 30, 2003 Tennessee
    Society

I must be lucky have never had a bad bottle from them. Everything has always been wonderful, knock on wood.

37. RangnaR

Wait, are you saying the fluorescent, ectoplasmic, shampooey ones are the good ones? I can't tell what's considered good or bad by you Fantomologists...

38. RangnaR

I seriously can't tell if you people are joking or not anymore.. Why would anyone want these flavors!? I must be completely (and thankfully) missing the boat on this one. Combining all these posts together, it sounds like some of you want to spend a week in Fantome's musky, smokey, barnyard brassiere while assembling pedo bear ropes for some nefarious forest frolicking.. I'm so confused...

39. fatsnowman22

fatsnowman22 Initiate (142) Feb 2, 2011 Nevada
    Trader

Cool Story

40. RangnaR

Thanks! I worked super hard on it.. You should have seen my first two rough drafts. That was before I decided I just HAVE to include some latex reference somewhere to keep it totally on point!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.