Good Bottles of Recent Fantome?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mandark, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justforrazors

justforrazors Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Missouri
    Deactivated

Reading this thread makes me nervous for the multiples of pissenlit, noel, 5 sciences, hiver, and extra sour dark sitting in my cellar. I already know the regular saison I had in may was horribly smoky with undertones of something really nice.

2. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Ohio

I just picked up bottles of Extra Sour, Boo! and Printemps over the weekend - we shall see how everything shakes out...

3. Jake_Ramrod

Jake_Ramrod Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky

I had an Extra Sour over the weekend and honestly thought about drain-pouring it (something I've never done). The smokiness was overwhelming and I literally could hardly get any sour out of it. Not going to be buying anymore.

4. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

it would absolutely be a shame. for so many here who are "beer experts" to miss the point is, well, i guess, not all that surprising.

everyone wants Miller/Bud quality control from anyone who ever touched yeast in their life and won't put up with anything short of absolute perfection every time.

products of the me generation sounds like

Mandark likes this.
  5. Northlax3

Northlax3 Initiate (94) Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey

Its not about 100% product perfection and QC. Its more about paying (A LOT) for a product that is what you expected and what was the brewers desired result. Sierra Nevada does this well. So does Sam Adams. So do many of the popular craft breweries, and this is also a large reason why they are still in business.

Cheers!

6. beeraroundtown

beeraroundtown Initiate (49) Oct 11, 2008 Oregon

Keep in mind that the price isn't due to the brewer, his beers are marked up a ton on import. Also, using Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams for QC examples is a bit of an odd choice, 2.7 million and around 1 million BBLs per year vs, heck maybe 500 bbls for Fantome?

misterid and Mandark like this.
  7. Mandark

Mandark Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2008 Illinois

I started this thread around the time some other threads complaining about Dany's latest efforts were making the rounds because I wanted those who'd experienced recent examples of his greatness to have a place to rave. It sucks to get a bad bottle of a pricey beer, and I don’t blame those who have been burned for their reactions, but I didn't want those negative experiences to become the accepted norm.

Dany makes some of the best beers I've ever tasted and I'll continue to buy them as I've never had anything quite like them. I've never been fortunate enough to get my hands on any of the one offs or lower bottle count releases (closest I've come is the one bottle of b2 Extra Sour in my basement, lurking menacingly until I decide to open it) but the more common bottles have always been a complex and joyous experience for me. The whole idea of this artist working with primitive means in a remote location to create something unexpected and wonderful seems clichéd and somewhat juvenile, but so far my taste buds tell me there's something to it after all.

Misanthropy_Sipping likes this.
  8. Misanthropy_Sipping

Misanthropy_Sipping Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Nebraska

At the same time, I still get things from brewers that are expected to deliver and have fallen short of hopes on occasion, not do to quality control or so on. But no matter, I understand the disappointment of paying up and not getting what was expected. I suppose I have lived a life of chance and still do in media outside beer, and at times feel jipped or totally lost on spending on something. Records and albums are a good parallel for me in this respect. I've bought tons of music on off-chances or just upon recommendation only. At times it has been incredibly disappointing, yet when you are met with a gem... man, it is great! A lot of the fun is the hunt, I hardly ever download, call me old fashion. And I guess I have similar feelings with Fantome and several other brewers. I love the hunt. And don't get me wrong, I love the reward just as much. I've bought quite a few Fantomes over the last three or so years and have yet to have had a terrible experience. So, overall, I really should be banking all my money on a chance of a bad Fantome bottle than other chance buys I make in other things I enjoy. To some degree I think I would be just as disappointed with a quality brewer and a short expectation, or more so, as I would be with an infected, higher price Fantome.
    I don't see Fantome often, so I'll continue paying up once in a while for them. And if I get a bump, I'll probably continue going, hunting for the gems.

Mandark likes this.
  9. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

straight from the horses mouth... Fantome is a company of 1. And his beers retail for appx 5 euro in and around Belgium.

tough to compare a company of 1

Production output​
    approximately 240 hL (204 barrels)
    The brewery's equipment, much of which was obtained from the original brewhouse of the Brasserie d'Achouffe, is capable of producing only one 750 liter batch at a time,

to Boston Beer Co.

Production output​
    293,369,000 Liters (2,500,000 barrels)
    Revenue​
    [​IMG]US$513.0M (FY 2011)[1]
    [​IMG]US$103.655M (FY 2011)[1]
    [​IMG]US$066.059M (FY 2011)[1]
    [​IMG]US$272.488M (FY 2011)[1]
    [​IMG]US$184.745M (FY 2011)[1]
    Employees​
    840 (FY 2011)[1]

or even Sierra Nevada

Production output​
    780,000 barrels
    The brewery currently employs about 450 people.[12]

Mandark and jampics2 like this.
  10. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (452) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Had a saison that was outstanding a couple weeks ago. Good enough that I ventured on a bottle of Hiver - here's hoping!

Mandark likes this.
  11. jdamaso84

jdamaso84 Initiate (123) Aug 4, 2010 Colorado

Unfortunately I had another Saison drainpour last week. The smokiness was unbearable. :slight_frown:

This is really sad. The Sur Lie batch from a few years ago was absolutely amazing, as was the Magic Ghost, Noel, Chocolat all from 2011/early 2012. I really hope he got his masher issue fixed and we start getting top notch beers once again from Dany.

12. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Initiate (0) May 29, 2012 Illinois

Everything I've had recently was great. I've had 3 bottles of the regular Saison's from 3 different places and they were consistently excellent! The Extra Sour I had though was pretty gross, but I just that that wasn't a great beer altogether as I've only had one bottle.

ChipMurray likes this.
  13. JHE73

JHE73 Initiate (155) Mar 7, 2013 California
    Trader

I had a pretty active bottle of Boo a few weeks ago.

It was tasty once it calmed down.

14. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat Initiate (0) May 20, 2009 Ireland

Just had a bottle of the Saison from what I think is the most recent batch made, and while it had definite iodine (band-aid) overtones, especially on the finish, it was still enjoyable; like a quality saison made with peated malt.
    Given the cost and effort it takes for me to acquire a bottle, however, I cant say I'll be buying another one any time in the near future.

15. shand

shand Meyvn (1,453) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

ISO: Ecto Cooler F/T: Fantome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.