Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Good (not great) breweries

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MetalMountainMastiff, Jan 23, 2013.

1. dortenzio1991

Beer Trader

Brooklyn Brewery

kylelenk likes this.
  2. mecummins

I agree that Domaine DuPage is a great beer (and I'm looking forward to the Long Haul and The Bitter End.) But for every great beer, they seem to have a "eh" one. Dog Days. Ebel's Weiss. Outlaw. Prairie Path. All fine beers, but not WOW beers. I

3. ThirstyFace

Dude, you're talking about the middle of the curve. We can build this list until I carks fall off

4. kylelenk

IMHO, Bell's. They have some quality releases (Black Note/Hopslam/Expy Stout) but most of their portfolio is just decent or ok beers. Oberon's quality has diminished significantly and I'm never seeking out others.

teal likes this.
  5. xanok

Beer Trader

Say what you will, but DFH doesn't make many things that can be classified as better than "good" in my opinion. 60 minute is one of my favorite single IPAs, and I love some Fort and Bitches Brew. Outside of those though, nothing I can think of that blows my mind.

kylelenk likes this.
  6. kylelenk

I'd also like to think that breweries who don't really push the envelope or rotate their portfolio are just "good" breweries. Left Hand, for example, is really conservative with their offerings. Milk Stout is great but it seems they never try anything big and bold. When you have breweries like Firestone Walker, Three Floyds, Founders, etc. that are continually morphing their portfolio with specialty releases, I consider them to be great breweries.

7. UCLABrewN84

Aren't most craft breweries this way?

mjtiernan likes this.
  8. ESeab

I always put Saranac and Long Trail together in this category. I also really enjoy their variety packs for the ease of drinking and switching styles. Solid brew, just not great

9. BB1313

Yep, basically. There's only a handful of breweries I can think of that universally everyone can agree on.

10. Gassygunslinger

Because I love Raspy so much, I was extremely excited to try their Grand Cru. I was extremely disappointed. It was a yeasty mess, reminding me of my first ill-fated attempt at making alcohol. Only with the North Coast brew, I was more certain that I hadn't digested anything potentially deadly.

11. VikingHammer

Hill Farmstead beside the beers named after his family members, philosophy books,a dog, stuff I drink at fancy brunches and juicy! :)

12. Horbar

I would have to say Long Trail is much better than Saranac!!

13. Bouleboubier

Flying Fish isn't even "good"... Exit 16 is a fluke (as are some of their one-offs) and they'll sometimes (once or twice a year) have a fluke batch of one of their flagships that comes out "good".

That said, I haven't had any of their beer since they relocated to their new location. I was (for some reason) curious to see if there would be an improvement in quality and consistency... (rant over)

14. RaulMondesi

Bootleggers.

jgluck likes this.
  15. Ricelikesbeer

River North in Downtown Denver makes a lot of good beers, but nothing great. I'd say Renegade in Denver is better but has a lot of underwhelming beers for every awesome beer they have too. I think it takes an amazing brewer to really wow you with almost everything they do. (Firestone, Deschuttes, Avery, Lost Abbey, ect. )

16. cjoc83

Beer Trader

If it's good, why is it a "fluke"? I've had Exit 16 DIPA and Exit 8 Chestnut Brown Ale both numerous times, and they've been consistent in their quality. I can't really speak to their flagship beers because I don't really buy them.

ESeab likes this.
  17. craigo19

I agree about Arcadia.

18. kingofhop

Bridgeport. Available in my neck of the woods. Nothing "mindblowing" (whatever that means) but good solid beers that are priced decently and never disappoint. I thought Widmer Falconer was pretty above average too.

19. beerwolf

Harpoon
    Full Sail

20. SP23

Beer Trader

Stone
    Lagunitas
    Green Flash
    Ballast Point
    Dogfish Head
    Deschutes
    Bootleggers
    Avery
    Great Divide
    Hangar 24

Many more, all good. Just not great. I don't think I could list 10 breweries that I think are great.

21. Chrisheartsbeer

Shirley you must be joking!

22. Chrisheartsbeer

Harpoon, Flying Dog, Abita, and Heavy Seas.

23. philly224

Beer Trader

I am not a big fan of 60 minute but their Punkin Ale is one of my favorite beers. WWS is a pretty solid beer as well.

I don't think there are any breweries that I like every single beer they make. That's why its great to have so many options!

xanok likes this.
  24. eawolff99

Beer Trader

Surly (x Abrasive and Wet). Otherwise, *yawn*

25. seplo

Beer Trader

Wow, I love Smuttynose. Its definitly my favorite brewery that is always accessible here in CT. I feel like my eyes were raped seeing that comment...CHEERS

smutty33, LOCAL and xanok like this.
  26. TheSSG

I'll give you 5Lizard from 5Rabbit (everything else is mediocre).

I'll also second Deschutes. I used to get their stuff regularly because it NEVER disappointed, but it never blew me away. Full Sail was similar, but WOULD blow me away regularly.

Yuengling is also in this category for me. I love the holy hell out of that amber of theirs, but they don't blow me away. I've no complaints, though.

Also, I feel I need to counter on Two Brothers.
    Cane & Ebel, Revelry, Heavy Handed, Bitter End, Ebel Weiss, Prairie Path, Northwind, and most of their bombers are FANTASTIC (Red Eye Coffee Porter alone is GOLD).
    Did you ever try their "Public Domaine DuPage"? It was a lambic-styled Domaine DuPage.
    Soooo good.

27. RoninTK3

Beer Trader

Sam Adams, Harpoon, Boulder, and Flying Dog come to mind. I'd place smuttynose and longtrail above being just good, but to each his own.

28. JuicesFlowing

I agree. I get the idea that everyone rates every beer they drink "average" yet they keep drinking them. Not happy with anything.

29. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Boulevard
    Summit
    Goose Island
    Rogue

30. RobertColianni

They shouldn't even be considered breweries as they all suck.
    If you think Dark Intrigue is amazing, we need to have a talk. You're right, though, Victory is solid, but they're questionable. I don't think they push the envelope at all on their normal/seasonal/special releases, but some of those kegs I see floating around Philly with their experimental beers are fan-fucking-tastic.

My vote goes to Stone. Jump down my throat all you want; many of their beers are just a one off on another so everything is basically the same. Their IPA's are all basically like Ruination, their stouts are all like their RIS, but with a spin, and their anniversary ales are basically black and tan mixes every year. They flop on big moves, too. They don't knock anything out of the park.
    I would also like to put a vote in for Dogfish Head, as their bomber series has hit absolute rock bottom. They have more shit flooding the market that I personally don't give two shits about than they have quality releases. Plus, they're losing focus on their once great beers like Chicory Stout and Indian Brown. Palo Santo is still great, 90 is a solid staple, and Raison hits the spot fresh, but we barely see them anymore now that this bomber/experimental flood has continued and newly interested drinkers probably don't even know what any of those beers are.
    Rogue also takes a royal dump on the beer scene, these days. It's like when Metallica tried to come back in '03, Green Day released American Idiot, Pearl Jam went political, Dylan started mumbling in the 90's, or Bowie stopped doing drugs and dressing like a chick. Just shut up and ride into the sunset, already. We don't want beard hair or (Moby) Dick in our beer.

cjoc83 likes this.
  31. jcomp21

Dogfish head????? What are you talking about? They are simply amazing.

dbfp210 likes this.
  32. Moose90

Beer Trader

New Belgium

33. Bertester

DFH seems to have the edge w marketing, thus becoming the more familiar craft beer, not necessarily the best/great craft beer.

RobertColianni likes this.
  34. dbfp210

I think 'good' breweries for me are local places that I don't actively seek out but I'm always okay with drinking. Yards (maybe my favorite brewery), Stoudts, PBC definitely.

cjoc83 likes this.
  35. drewone

Subscriber Beer Trader

I hear you but I thought zz hop was pretty phenomenal

MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  36. hopsputin

gotta go with New Belgium

37. GardenWaters

Samuel Adams. Many very "good" beers, very few "great" beers.

38. mdvatab

If you ever get to try fresh Widmer Hefeweizen on draught (don't know how hard that is to do where you live), you might change your mind. I thought it was wonderful fresh. The American ale yeast creates a significantly different flavor compared to a Bavarian Hefeweizen. If that's not your thing, tho, a man's more than welcome to his opinion!

39. BigStein88

Beer Trader

I'm a simple man, if a brewery makes one great beer that I really like, then I am a happy man. Therefore Smuttynose, Dogfish Head and Stone are all great to me.

40. hopfenunmaltz

They brought back an ale yeast from Germany. Uerige.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe