Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Goose 25th Anniversary Pours- Let the Speculation Begin

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by incubuscience, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steebo777

steebo777 Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I think I would've went to the other 25th party instead of this one. Slightly disappointed and way more sober than I should be. With that said, BCS Napa and BCS Blackberry were mind blowing. Add on all the killer sours and it was a great night. Just wish there was a little more something...

eorwar and Lansman like this.
  2. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You still can, plenty of tickets left.

3. steebo777

Tough when I live 5hrs away and have other commitments though.

4. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yeah, that is true. Nothing special at clybourn?

5. thetomG

thetomG Feb 17, 2010 Illinois

Because no beer event is worth it unless you leave shitfaced...?

Not trying to be combative, but I just feel like this event was never intended to be a drunk-a-thon... It was a celebration of 25 years of Goose Island beer. Yes it was a bit expensive, but the food was delicious and plentiful and while some of the beers ran out quicker than we all would've liked I still feel like it was worth it overall. Great night IMO...

6. JPortillo

JPortillo Mar 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Disappointed

CityofBals and Grfilwett like this.
  7. jbland21

jbland21 Jan 21, 2012 Illinois

Sadly, this will probably be the sentiment of a lot of people that went.

JPortillo and Grfilwett like this.
  8. Grfilwett

Grfilwett May 2, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

BCS napa was best one of the night. I also think the tap list for the block party may be better. Plenty of good beers tonight, but for how secretive it was I was expecting Rare or Vanilla on tap. Food was really good though as well. Also wish they bottled the 25th Anniversary ESB to take home.

9. foobula

foobula Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

You can buy a case of it at the Binny's across the street for $34.

I think it's cool that the 25th anniversary ESB is technically a collaboration brew between GI Clybourn, GI Main (ABIOGI) & Greg Hall. Does that make it a collab with Virtue Cider? LOL. It is damn tasty. Had it on cask at the brewpub last night.

10. crushedvol

crushedvol Jan 29, 2008 Illinois

Here's hoping most people agree with you. Hopefully the Chicago Beer environment trends toward drinking great beer, and not ticking obscure whales, bro

harrylee773, PopnLoads, sbxx and 3 others like this.
  11. Grfilwett

Beer Trader

It was really good, but was hoping to grab it tonight while there. Not the end of the world, but thought it was odd the 25th anniversary beer wasn't for sale at this party

12. foobula

Since it technically comes out the 13th IIRC I'm surprised Castle Vav got any cases at all. From Clybourn's POV, wouldn't make sense to bottle it when Fulton is already, and also wouldn't make sense to acquire bottles thru the 3TDS (which I presume could only be consumed on-site.)

13. incubuscience

incubuscience Jul 26, 2012 Illinois

The coolest part of the event was Greg Hall walking around asking people if they were having a good time and enjoying themselves. It was like Mick asking of you thought Sympathy for the Devil sounded okay.

14. jbland21

Definitely the standout. All the sours I had were phenomenal (Boring, Even More Evil, and Flanders), and the big surprises for me were the Brett Barrel Saison and the Pecan and Maple Porter. Interestingly, after waiting around for regular BCBS to be tapped in the back I took my glass straight back to the Pecan and Maple Porter tap to create a mixture that was potentially congestive-heart failure in a glass and required a shot of insulin once I was finished.

Grfilwett likes this.
  15. drgarage

drgarage Aug 19, 2008 California

What's Double Rare?

16. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Overall, the event was very fun based on the company we were around all night. We all came away, however, thinking that it unfortunately wasn't worth the $75 price per person. The fact that there was a line 100 deep at 9:45 just based on the fact that there was a rumor that something other than BCBS was being tapped at 10 PM shows that we weren't alone in this sentiment. That said, the Fulton Street Block Party list for the $25 price put this event in a difficult position based on the fact that this cost 3x the price (with food included) and the Block Party has a number of great things being tapped, whereas here, the best beers lasted a very short period of time and were not replaced.

That said, congrats to GI Clybourn for a terrific 25 years, and the Flanders Red that was for sale at $20 a bottle (limit two per person) is delicious.

17. woodchopper

woodchopper Jul 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

a great idea thanks for the recommendation Delilas
    had a few Pappy Van Winkle rye ;)

18. incubuscience

incubuscience Jul 26, 2012 Illinois

Totally agree. The sours were fantastic. As was the Melon IPA. I don't like fruit beers, but holy cow that melon IPA was FANTASTIC. I rode that keg like a freshman...

Vav likes this.
  19. Grfilwett

Beer Trader

^^^well said.

20. BobCobb

BobCobb Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That doesn't sound right.

21. jermy

jermy Mar 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I thought the event was well worth $75; look at the food pairing alone. $75 for a night out in Chicago isn't shit.

Cheers to 25 years GI

22. foobula

Thinking this event was priced appropriately makes me realize how much of an incredible bargain was the Black Friday event.

23. woodchopper

woodchopper Jul 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Lansman recommended a place to go for great bourbon and wow what a beer list and tap list the Bourbon selection was unbelievable ;)

and yes the people made the event Goose Island 25th anniversary party was just a reason for us all to get together again Had tons of fun and the food was excellent.

some thing else to think about though where can you go in Chicago and have that many different beers and that much different food for less than $75 ahead? all in all good time glad to see everyone again :)

Kwaz and thetomG like this.
  24. thetomG

I guess I can understand where you're coming from if you're simply out to tick rare shit, but if you take this event for what it really was it was I don't see how you can have many issues with it... I mean just going out for dinner and a few beers/drinks can EASILY cost upwards of $50 so when you factor in the huge variety of beers, apps, entrees, deserts, (etc...) available for 5 hours it was well worth it...

Ask yourself this - if they'd simply threw on a keg of Rare/Vanilla/King Henry do you think many people would be complaining? And if that's all you're out for then I think you've missed the point of the event...

harrylee773, mjohnson17, Vav and 3 others like this.
  25. foobula

I wasn't there but it sounds to me like StoutFest + food which I would pay $50-55 for. I'm not wanting to shit on what seems like a good time, I just think GI Clybourn wanted to feed off the awesomeness of the Black Friday event without providing the same quality of whalez + goodies to take home. But I'm sure it was still awesome to be there notwithstanding minor criticism

26. steebo777

Not saying that at all. I am simply saying at the time I posted it, I tried every beer I wanted to and was a lot more sober than expected. I was surprised as this seemed like it was going to have a lot more rare beers , maybe a take home bottle or something special and in the end was not worth $75. Food was amazing and beers were solid but i feel it wasnt worth the price paid, as did many others we spoke to throuhout the night. I'm sure people will give me flack, but look at Revolutions parties and tell me it is still worth it.

JPortillo likes this.
  27. thetomG

Fair enough.

28. thetomG

Right on. I can see where you're coming from... But keep in mind (correct me if I'm wrong) Revs parties aren't all inclusive food AND beer...

Also: I fucking LOVE Rev parties :)

harrylee773 and steebo777 like this.
  29. stxSS07

stxSS07 Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

Nowhere near $75 worth of experience, unless you think hot and sweaty nuts to butts action is schecksy.

Now we all know why they didn't post the tap list ahead of time, because no one would have paid $75 for that lineup. "But stx, the food!" Yeah, I saw the food. I also saw the 45min wait to get said food because they felt like selling the maximum occupancy of the pub in tix form.

This was dogsh#t IMO. Spent $75 on a tight budget expecting Goose to follow through with their claims of an "unprecendented lineup" and ended up cursing and drinking berliner weiss all night. Had a better tap-list at Sheffield's a mile away...

30. thetomG

Not once did I have to wait more than 10 minutes for food (the longest wait of the night was the 25 minutes or so it took to get in after I arrived at 7), and they had numerous servers roaming around all evening with trays full of appetizers. Its fine if you didn't have a good time at the event but no need to exaggerate things just to prove a point... at least be fair about why you didn't enjoy it - too few "rare" and "unprecedented" beers for you to try... Again - I can understand why you're feeling burned, but the fact is they put on an awesome event that just unfortunately wasn't the private whale tasting you were hoping it would be...

Full beer list for those interested:
    1. Cubby Blue
    2. SPF Kolsch
    3. 25th Anniversary ESB (draft)
    4. 25th Anniversary ESB (cask)
    5. 312
    6. Honker's
    7. Dublin Stout
    8. Loftus Road
    9. Kallestrat Road
    10. Golden Goose Pils
    11. Willow St. Wit
    12. Green Line
    13. Kilgubbin Red
    14. Regents Park (draft)
    15. Regents Park (cask)
    16. Hazy Weekend
    17. Daybreak
    18. Hopscotch
    19. IPA
    20. Old Clybourn Porter
    21. Rotweizen
    22. Black Candle
    23. The Mitten (Virtue)
    24. Midway IPA
    25. Sofie (2013)
    26. Sofie Paridisi
    27. Matilda
    28. Branta
    29. Silver Jubilee (draft)
    30. Silver Jubilee (cask)
    31. Aviator Doppelbock
    32. Bourbon Barrel Aged Aviator
    33. Pepe Nero (2013 - bottles)
    34. Sofie (2010 - bottles)
    35. Demolition (2007 - bottles)
    36. Pere Jacques (2013 - bottles)
    37. Pere Jacques (2005 - bottles)
    38. Brett Barrel Saison
    39. Magic Number
    40. Upstream IPA
    41. Lincoln Park Lager
    42. 312 Brett Brux
    43. Boring
    44. Matilda Brett Brux
    45. Even More Evil
    46. Imperial Brown Goose
    47. Lazarus
    48. Napa Bourbon County Stout
    49. Blackberry Rye Bourbon County Stout
    50. Lavender Regents Park
    51. Strawberry Kolsch
    52. Pecan & Maple Porter
    53. Melon IPA
    54. Cherry Vanilla Porter
    55. Baleton Tart Cherry Tripel
    56. Berliner Weisser
    57. Barrel Aged Luciana
    58. Flanders Red
    59. Forager
    60. Cujo
    61. Bourbon County Stout
    Some of the food available:
    • Pig Roast 3 Ways
    • Roasted Leeks w/rmoesco sauce
    • Grilled Asparagus w/ preserved lemon butter
    • Lincoln Log Goat Cheese
    • Marissa Sheep Cheese
    • Bayley Hazen Bleu
    • Pastures Aged Cheddar
    • Wild Mushroom Tartine
    • Lamb Tamale
    • Asparagus Arancini
    • Poached Salmon w/ Ramps
    • Rotisserie Leg of Lamb
    • Roasted Mushrooms & CHard
    • Chicken Liver Mousse w/ Raspberry Gelee
    • Mushroom Consomme w/ Mushroom Dumpling
    • BCS Chocolate Cake
    • Strawberry Shortcake
    • Lemon Meringue Tartlets
    • Malted Graham Cheesecake
    • + Various appetizers brought around by the servers

31. jbland21

Everybody. And then they would complain that they didn't get to have all three at once like at Black Friday. I do think that Goose was somewhat riding the coat-tails of the massive success and popularity of the Black Friday events. But everyone pretty much knew what those were going to be, glorified whale tastings with a glass and bomber to take home. They obviously set the bar extremely high for the 25th party going in and I think most people assumed (beer wise) that the offerings would be on par or somehow better than what was offered for Black Friday.

jplopez21, foobula and thetomG like this.
  32. thetomG

Yeah you're probably right. Obviously everyone (myself included) loves to see a taplist with tons of "rare" offerings, but its simply not what the event was about. IMO its only fair to judge something based upon what it actually is, not based on what you'd (realistically or not) expected it to be. I totally see why people could be disappointed, but I just think some are missing the point a bit...

Anonymous1 likes this.
  33. dvelcich

dvelcich Feb 6, 2008 Illinois

This is true. You have to be able to read between the lines with Goose events. It's a skill I've picked up over the years that kept me from buying a ticket for last night.

When I heard about the 25th Anniversary diner/tasting, it reminded me of the MBA appreciation tastings. I went there expecting something cool, and ended up with a big tap list of stuff I could have bought ten feet away at the bar. Luckily I hadn't paid for anything, so I cut out after about an hour. I guess that doesn't mean it was a bad event, just not what I was looking for.

Whenever they advertise giving back to their loyal customers or start talking about heritage and whatnot, I know to stay away, but when they are going to have awesome beers, they're going to let you know it.

foobula likes this.
  34. wyatt13

wyatt13 Feb 13, 2011 Illinois

Best part of my night: Brett Matilda & Napa County
    Worst part of my night: Taking the El back to Evanston

MegDuf32 likes this.
  35. Treebs

Treebs Apr 18, 2011 Illinois

Matilda w/Brett was my fucking jam last night. I'm glad it lasted as long as it did.

thetomG, cfrances33, kevanb and 2 others like this.
  36. kevanb

kevanb Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The Pig Roast 3 ways with Asparagus was fantastic and worth the 15 minute wait and the Berliner Weisse was by far my favorite of the night. I know a lot of people are going to be upset at the price and what was tapped, especially with the block party being only $25, but I definitely felt like I got my money's worth. The food was good, the atmosphere was pleasant, met a lot of cool people. I enjoyed most of the beer and in this city, to drink as much as I did, eat as much as I did, I'd be spending a LOT more than $75 elsewhere.

mjohnson17, thetomG, Vav and 4 others like this.
  37. Hugonaut13

Hugonaut13 Nov 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Dat roasted pork belly and leeks...

mjohnson17 and kevanb like this.
  38. stouts4me

stouts4me Oct 9, 2011 Illinois

Maple Pecan Porter - hope they bottle it, amazingly delicious. Pork dishes were great, and very generous servings, rabbit appetizer was very tasty, Blackberry Rye BCBS, damn good, got to buy some nice goose glassware, Maple Pecan Porter WAS outstanding, crowd was friendly - met alot of past acquaintences, employees very helpful and friendly, and lastly, the MAPLE PECAN PORTER was fantastic ! Oh, CUJO was pretty tasty,too. ;)

woodchopper, GonkDroid and kevanb like this.
  39. foobula

Were there drink tickets given out?

40. stouts4me

stouts4me Oct 9, 2011 Illinois

Nope, all food and beer included, as much as you want, until a couple taps went dry, but still plenty of others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe