Goose 25th Anniversary Pours- Let the Speculation Begin

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by incubuscience, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcbeerbrew

mcbeerbrew Initiate (90) Feb 9, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

sorry i was farting so much. :flushed:

MarkIntihar and dvelcich like this.
  2. dmsulli

dmsulli Initiate (151) Jan 30, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Anything interesting still on tap today? I'm sure someone with that same thought is there right now...

3. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

I'm assuming that + bottles of Silver Jubilee & Red Flanders

4. Vav

Vav Aspirant (288) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

I could go on at length, but instead,
    Happy birthday to GI, we had a lovely time. I sadly missed the BCS Napa so i'll be sure to hit that first at the Fulton Anniversary Party.

Highlights were 312 w/ Brett, Brett Saison, Melon Upstream, Cherry Vanilla Porter, Brett Matilda, Berliner, Regent's Park w/Lavender, about 2 pounds of pork with extra skin, a little bit o' cheeks (thanks Alex!), adding another face to the name (Markintheharbingerofdoom), and seriously, about 2 pounds of pork with extra skin.

EDIT: And the food line was simple. Grab a 25th anny from the bar, sip that in the line, time it right and your glass is empty by the time you hit the pork, with the SPF Kolsch tapped right next to it.

5. BobCobb

BobCobb Aspirant (299) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

My group had a nice evening and definitely thought I got $75 worth of food and beer.

Having said that, it wasn't worth $75 to me. I'm not even sure I would have paid $50.

steebo777, DLDlulz and JPortillo like this.
  6. billywan

billywan Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2009 Illinois

Life is all about expectations. People got too excited by the silly "free bottle of Rare" rumors. From the get go, this was always going to be a celebration of the last 25 years of brewpub beers with a couple experiments and 25th anny beers thrown in.

I thought it was great. A bit pricey I suppose (mostly because I don't eat meat), but proceeds benefit a good place.

Had a lot of Bourbon County Napa at Dark Lord, so went for Blackberry this time. Great beer. Loved the 25th Anny ESB, Silver Jubilee on Cask, Flanders Red and Boring were both ridiculous.

Great night, and congrats to Goose on 25 years.

thetomG and Hugonaut13 like this.
  7. Tony412

Tony412 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This seems like the most accurate description of the evening.

dvelcich likes this.
  8. mojiboo02

mojiboo02 Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

My favorites were Blackberry Bcbs, 4:1 ratio of the berliner and the melon ipa, and Boring.

thousandfoldthought likes this.
  9. ryanfolty

ryanfolty Aspirant (215) Jul 17, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Wife and I came in from Minnie and had a great time. Just wish I still lived in Chicago, so could visit the brewpub more often.

10. Giantspace

Giantspace Zealot (503) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I would drop the $150 for two of us for that list and the food. I would have even sprung for a hotel nearby. Sounds like it was a great time.

Enjoy

harrylee773 likes this.
  11. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

So because you only had to wait 10 minutes for food, it's now impossible for someone to have waited longer? Here's what I saw: my friend left saying, "I'm going to go get da foods." He came back 45 minutes later with a full plate. From careful analysis of that data, I managed to extrapolate that the food line was 45 minutes long...

I had a great time hanging out with various buds that I only run into at these things, but I was extremely disappointed with the lineup (or how there were only single sixtels of what were sure to be the most popular offerings) and how many freaking tickets they sold. It was packed.

Nowhere did I say that there weren't enough "rare beers" (what was that about exaggerating things to prove a point?). What I DID say is that I expected GI to follow up on their claims of an "unprecedented lineup" (from their own event description, not mine). They didn't IMO, and it's perfectly reasonable for me to voice my displeasure in a thread about the event.

The fact that my opinion may differ from yours doesn't make it any less valid. Cheers bromigo.

dvelcich, eorwar, CityofBals and 2 others like this.
  12. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Devotee (439) Apr 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I agree with a lot of people, I think the $75 was worth the price if you had your expectations in check. Would I have loved to get some KH, Vanilla, or Rare; sure. Would I liked to have walked out with a free bottle of vintage BCBS; sure. I guess going in I was in the camp of hoping for some rare ticks but realistically expected this to be exactly what it was advertised as, a celebration of 25 years, specifically as a brewpub. So with that being said I think the beers on tap were great, some were brewpub beers that haven't been brewed in a while. Plus the vintage bottles at the bar were cool (07 Demolition and 05 Pere were a bit oxidized but still interestingly good). GI might have set BA's expectations a bit too high with their Black Friday events.

For $75 for all you can drink and eat for 5 hours I thought it was a pretty good deal, especially when you consider the food was really good (dat pork 3 ways was carnivore heaven!), and you had unlimited amounts of 60 beers (granted a few like Napa and Blackberry BCBS kicked really quickly and others kicked throughout the night). Even though it was fairly crowed I didn't wait more than 1-2 minutes for a pour of anything and at most 10 minutes for food (it was the pork line, but worth it). Plus after 10PM the place significantly cleared out which resulted in no waits for anything still left on tap (which was over half the list). Big props for the sours, they were all really good (except 312 w/ Brux :confused: It didn't taste good but I respect the hell out of GI for experimenting.)

Some other interesting parts of the night:

- John Hall - such a cool dude. He was mingling with the crowd all night, and I was lucky enough to chat with him for a minute.

- The alderman - Towards the end of the night I saw the alderman steal some empty 25th tasting glasses from a table. Thought that was pretty funny. Nothing personally against him or his politics, I don't even know his name, but just screamed typical Chicago politician. :grinning: My group even called him out on it and he just smiled and shrugged.

- John Hall's granddaughter (or nieces, not sure). Did anyone else notice them? At first I didn't know who they were but thought it was strange for young girls with braces (they looked about 14) to be in a bar. Then I saw one of them drinking and pouring a bottle like 2 Chains pouring Crystal. Entertaining to say the least.

13. thetomG

thetomG Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2010 Illinois

I'll say this again - I can understand why you (and others) might feel burned over the beer list - never said that your opinion wasn't valid. I guess you simply define the phrase "unprecedented" differently than the rest of the world. As far as I know, that lineup of beers has never existed at one event before, thereby making it, quite literally, unprecedented (Adjective: Never done or known before).

While you didn't actually use the word "rare" you certainly made clear that you didn't think the taplist was good enough with statements like "Now we all know why they didn't post the tap list ahead of time, because no one would have paid $75 for that lineup" and "Had a better tap-list at Sheffield's a mile away..." - if you weren't looking for more "rare" offerings than what specifically was missing from the taplist in your opinion? I'm honestly curious... They had just about every style of beer imaginable, Goose classics, variations of classics, one-offs, new offerings, pub exclusives, barrel aged beers, fruited beers, etc...

Interesting that it seems like your in-depth analysis of the food wait didn't actually involve you trying to get food yourself, it was only "friend left to get food, came back 45 minutes later, therefore the food wait was always 45 minutes" - could it be possible that maybe he stopped to talk with some people, grabbed another beer somewhere, used the restroom, etc? I have yet to hear from anyone else who had to wait 45 minutes for food... no one in the group I was with ever had to wait more than 10-15 and we were there all evening. If there are others out there that experienced this 45 minute wait please speak up...

I agree that it was crowded and it sucks how fast some of the really awesome stuff kicked, but this was a beer event and large crowds + good shit running out quickly is something I've just come to expect at nearly ALL beer events/festivals/etc. Not sure why anyone should think it would be much different at this event...

harrylee773, Hugonaut13 and Vav like this.
  14. PopnLoads

PopnLoads Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The world's smallest violin playing just for the beer trolls.

15. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (236) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I waited 45 minutes for food with members of my group which was tempered by the fact that I had others waiting in line with me so we could go get taps while we waited.

Yes, 'rare' beers tap out quickly at these events, but had I known ahead of time that they weren't going to replace what was available, I would not have spent $75 to get repeat pours of BCBS, et al. With nothing getting replaced other than the more 'common' taps, it was no wonder people left around 10 and the place cleared out after the cake/BCBS combination was made available.

Finally, as I stated above, the Fulton Street Block Party list is up and available and it is $25 to attend. The expectation is that all the 'rare' stuff will tap very quickly, and as a result, if someone doesn't get a pour of whatever is available, then they should have gotten in line earlier, no big deal. In this case, $75 bought you an unknown product, and expectations vary from person to person as a result. Lesson learned - one-off events without a tap list posted ahead of time are a risky proposition, and it simply leaves more tickets for others going forward for those of us who came away thinking that the event wasn't worth the cost.

16. foobula

When you start parsing the word "unprecedented" to mean anything other than "superior to what came before", you've lost me. When the organizers put together concepts like "unprecedented lineup", "Goose Island", and "$75 ticket", I think it's asking a bit much of your average BA, not to mention your casual craft beer fan, to expect anything other than Goose Island's Greatest Hits. Which is exactly what we are getting next weekend, at 1/3 the cost. Now you and several others perhaps had the foresight to know exactly what to expect. But even I was thinking there would probably be KH, Rare, etc. there, and might have pulled the trigger myself but for a GI rep who indicated to me that the details of the event were still being worked out well after it was announced.

I'm glad the food was great, and there were some cool beers there. It probably was worth $75, all told. But when details are as scarce as they were, people are going to interpret things differently. Caveat emptor. And on a sidenote it's a bit misleading that the brewpubs are able to keep the GI name while not having access to the same beers. I think there are a couple of reasons they were so cagey about the tap list right up to the event: 1) it hadn't been finalized yet, and 2) they knew full well it wasn't going to exceed anyone's expectations.

CityofBals and thetomG like this.
  17. stxSS07

I'm perfectly fine not agreeing with you on the beer list. Opinions, differing expectations, etc. I was defintitely expecting some more BCBS varieties, maybe King Henry, Hell maybe a barrel of BCBS that didn't get tapped at 10 PM (still don't understand the timing on that one). Sure, there were a TON of new brews that I had never tried, but most were pretty average/underwhelming IMO. On the subject of "rares", was it wrong for me to expect some highly rated/sought after beers to be there after forking over $75?

Food - my friend went there and back. He told me he was in line the entire time. I had a piece of the pig and it was damn tasty, but again not worth 45 minutes of standing around.

Crowds - The event was $75. That's pricey any way you look at it, so I figured mayyybe they wouldn't max out the occupancy and give people some room to actually move.

I thought someone in our group brought up a good point - if FFF had charged $75 for a beer tasting/anny party/whatever and not posted a tap list or given any information until the day of, this thread would be 12 pages of hate. Even more so after it turned out to be their bottled regs and a few pub-only brews that they rotate yearly.

thetomG likes this.
  18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

I have to admit that I was one of the disappointed ones at the event on Saturday. It was probably as much my own doing as the event itself, but whatever. I was at a tasting for a friend's birthday in the suburbs earlier in the day that, in the end, was a much better time than standing on top of people for three hours (I don't do exceptionally well in tight crowds). Most of the beers that I tried were pretty "meh" riffic, with only a couple of exceptions. I love Goose, but after the awesomeness that was the Black Friday event, this was a letdown for me.

I'll post here what I mentioned to a few people on Saturday night: if Three Floyds had put on that event and charged $75 for it, people would be losing their fucking minds on this forum. Just sayin'.

All that said, it was great to see so many familiar faces and to meet some new ones (FINALLY, Vav). That was probably my favorite part of the party. Well that and mcbeerbrew's room-clearing farts. Well done, sir.

19. MarkIntihar

Well at least we posted this at practically the same time...

stxSS07 likes this.
  20. stxSS07

Who's trolling? I posted an honest (albeit a bit drunk and abrasive) opinion of the event after I had left to search out some tastier fare near my hotel.

To get back on topic, what were your thoughts on the event?

21. FlssmrBrewAlum

FlssmrBrewAlum Aspirant (204) Feb 25, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

As a brewpub regular I thought the event was pretty solid now that I've had some time to digest it.

But, I think (even if briefly I thought it myself) expecting Fulton innovation beer after Fulton innovation beer was a bit naive.

Bay01 likes this.
  22. foobula

To take the music analogy further, I feel like y'all went to a "40 years of Springsteen" concert where he didn't play Born in the USA, Born to Run, Glory Days, or Dancing in the Dark -- and some of you hardcore Springsteen fans loved it, because you love everything he does, and legitimately had a good time -- but most people came away disappointed.

dvelcich likes this.
  23. crushedvol

crushedvol Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2008 Illinois

Maybe he was referring to your size? If you weren't so laid back i could picture you clubbing some people in the beer lines

mcbeerbrew, eorwar, stxSS07 and 2 others like this.
  24. MarkIntihar

Or at least throwin' some 'bows.

stxSS07 and crushedvol like this.
  25. PopnLoads

PopnLoads Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I enjoyed it! I think they touched upon several beers that made it anniversary worthy. Through a suggestion from a stranger, I took on the 2005 Pere Jacques and it was absolutely amazing! Did anyone else try this?

I thought the pours were pretty generous, too. Like you, I left pretty drunk with a Flanders, Jubilee, and a Bourbon County glass all in tow.

harrylee773 likes this.
  26. SAEmick

SAEmick Aspirant (264) Jan 16, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

did the same & was definitely glad I listened. was delicious

27. BobCobb

Beer Trader

My fiancee backhandedly accused me of funking up our table area near the bar. Usually, she's right.

mcbeerbrew, you dirty rat bastard.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  28. thetomG

Its easy to see how people's expectations were high in hoping for something similar to the black friday event but this was ALWAYS ging to be a totally different sort of party. Black Friday was a guided tasting of a pre-announced specific lineup of beers where each person got a few ounces per beer. This was an 25th Anniversary party celebrating the pub's history while providing guests with unlimited food & beer.

Count me in with the masses of people who would've LOVED to see some King Henry, Vanilla, Rare, etc, but while I'm bummed they weren't being poured, by no means did their absence ruin the event for me. Being disappointed is totally OK but I simply don't think its fair to imply that the event was a rip off or that that the fine folks at Goose Clybourn somehow misled people and pulled the ol' bait & switch. As in all things, to each their own, it is what it is, etc etc...

Anyhow - not needing to beat this dead horse much more - I appreciate your thoughtful & solid response. As in all things, to each their own, it is what it is, etc etc...

harrylee773 and foobula like this.
  29. BobCobb

Beer Trader

I was less miffed about no Rare/KH/etc. than the absence of some phenomenal Clybourn brews like D-Day.

30. stxSS07

Oh I left stone cold sober, but did imbibe quite a bit after leaving. Found a quaint little spot called the Hidden Shamrock where drunk girls like to scream Toto's "Africa" at the top of their lungs...drank my body weight in Hopdinger and enjoyed the show.

I was lucky if the people working the stations at GI poured me >1oz of anything (even berliner)...my gym shorts and ratty EFS tee must have put off the wrong vibes.

EDIT - I was fully prepared to hate the old-assed Pear Jake, but it was actually not turrible.

mcbeerbrew and MarkIntihar like this.
  31. thetomG

Thanks for chiming in about your wait for the food... crazy that it took so long for some of you as neither myself or any of the other 9-10 people I was there with seemed to have that problem.

Regarding the 'rare' stuff running out early - I haven't been to many events where the limited stuff is continually pouring all night so I don't think its fair to be upset that they didn't just keep replacing the kegs, but maybe those events do exist and I've just missed them...

It seems clear that there were (at least) two groups of people there - those more hoping for a huge lineup of whales/rarities/etc... (which is FINE - we all love getting to indulge in those rare offerings), and those that were content to be there celebrating 25 years of Goose Island with good friends, good food, and some great beer...

(I'm sure there was likely plenty of overlap between those groups as well, so not intending to pigeon-hole anyone into strictly one or the other...)

harrylee773 likes this.
  32. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Devotee (439) Apr 29, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This. I think this is a valid point and potential topic of discussion. We (specifically I) don't know the background or behind the scenes deal between GI/ABInbev and the Brewpub. Because they're separate and I know the Brewpub is typically considered like any bar in Chicago in terms of preference to GI brewery releases that most if not all the beers brewed for the 25th event were probably brewed in-house at the brewpub. Might be speculation, might not be. And ownership rights and the like might have prevented the brewpub from being able to offer so brews. Until I hear from a credible AB/GI or brewpub employee one can only assume that might have played at least a part.

33. pmoney

pmoney Crusader (709) Apr 15, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

stxSS07 likes this.
  34. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I always complain about beer events, but this one was great. Really top notch. This wasn't a private whale ticking, where everyone got to bring a bottle home, and it wasn't advertised as such. It was marketed as a beer dinner/celebration with 60 taps and something for everyone. I think there's really just lots of disappointment because this thing was hyped so much and half the BA's thought they were going home with a Rare, lol.

The longest wait I had all day was the 30 min prior to the doors opening to the event. I easily got 3 pours of Napa BCBS and 2 pours of Blackberry, and my girlfriend was able to get the same. The sours were really great too, multiple pours of Boring, Even more evil, and Sofie Paradisi. Fantastic cheese selections, hors d'oeuvres, and the pork was just really incredible. The line for Pork was probably the longest and it took about 15 minutes, and we had no trouble finding a seat in the downstairs area. We closed the place down, and had as many pours of BCBS '12 as we wanted at the end of the night.

Yeah, it would have been great to see Rare, Vanilla, or Pear BCBS....but once again, these would have just been added bonuses/surprises and not entitlements/expectations. I think a lot depends on your mindset going in to an event like this. I definitely got my $75 worth.

Also at events like this the rare kegs kick first and generally are not replaced. Please let me know the events where BCBS one-offs are replenished, because I want to go.

Treebs, nickwc, harrylee773 and 4 others like this.
  35. JPortillo

JPortillo Initiate (187) Mar 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yes I did have a good time and its always great to see your fellow BA buddies but I too was one who had high hopes. Unfortunately had I seen the beerlist prior to this event me and my buddies I came with would have opted out. Guess I'm guilty of being a whale whore with high hopes. I did have a blast at Stoutfest & the Black Friday event and I'm definitely going to the block party event this Sunday. See you all again on Sunday.

pointyskull, Lansman and CityofBals like this.
  36. stxSS07

MarkIntihar likes this.
  37. foobula

I expect to be granted full VIP access (if such a thing exists) due to the brewer-like manginess of my playoff beard. Perhaps I'll wear my GI tee just to really sell it... "yeah I totally worked here 15 years ago, more Rare plz"

woodchopper likes this.
  38. mcbeerbrew

mcbeerbrew Initiate (90) Feb 9, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Hugonaut13, kevanb, thetomG and 3 others like this.
  39. foobula

Good man for transcribing all of that. I thought about posting an incomplete tap list based on Untappd checkins & menu photos but man that seemed like a lot of work.

40. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz Champion (805) Dec 20, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Hey all, I just got a ticket for this event on Ebay. Can't wait to try these great beers! When is the anniversary party supposed to start?

jordanblaskey and incubuscience like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.