Goose at the Blues Bar

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by JimSmetana, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimSmetana

JimSmetana Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Illinois

Who's going?

[​IMG]

2. nickMB

nickMB Disciple (310) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

Did they only make 1K bombers of cherry rye and put the other 20 BBL's into kegs? Does anyone else find it funny that one of the hardest beers to buy in a bottle in Chicago is probably one of the easiest to get a snifter of?

jplopez21 likes this.
  3. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Initiate (0) May 6, 2012 Illinois

I for 1 am loving the local distribution! I love this beer on tap. Too bad this event is the day before Easter and I will be out of town. Blues Bar had Baudoinia on for what seemed like 2 weeks around Christmas time.

4. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

I bet our favorite person De Kalb is real steamed about this, too!

evoljetta likes this.
  5. nickMB

nickMB Disciple (310) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

But I need bottles for hoarding and trading for DDG :). I spent hours and miles trying to track down one bottle, then with the last few months ivehave had it on tap effortlessly like 5 times.

6. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Aspirant (202) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

I, for one, would much rather have it this way.

A few bottles released allows us to try it at home or in our own environment a couple times and then many tap takeovers, tasting, and gatherings at which the beer is served and enjoyed amongst other beer enthusiasts.

I hope they do this in the future with every BCBS variant, but continue to release a steady amount of regular BCBS in bottles as well.

tinypyramids, Lansman and nickMB like this.
  7. bertram

bertram Aspirant (229) Dec 18, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Taking part in a big tasting on Good Friday with friends, now this so close to home. Hopefully my liver will rise from the dead on Easter Sunday.

8. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (236) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

A reasonable argument devoid of exclamation points.

Who are you and what have you done with the real PlayaPlaya?

9. geimerman

geimerman Initiate (0) May 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was floored at how long Baudoinia lasted at Blues Bar. It was great to go in three weekends in a row and be able to enjoy that beer.

I plan on attending the Goose Takeover as well. If anyone wants to meet up or share a table let me know.

10. DarkMagneto

DarkMagneto Initiate (176) Apr 17, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I live 1 block from Blues Bar....I will definitely be there!

markrmoser likes this.
  11. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

Oh, I completely agree. I wound up trading for a bottle and while kegs and bottles aren't necessarily equivalent, I'm glad to have tried it a couple of times now. No need to ask that omnipresent cellaring question (save it or drink it now/??!?!!!).

12. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Meyvn (1,248) Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was thinking the same thing. They must have put a shitload of cherry rye in kegs!

13. DarkMagneto

Beer Trader

Awesome time yesterday at Blues Bar! I love these "suburban" GI Tap Invasions. They are very mellow and you never have to fight to get a Cherry Rye. Much less of a shit storm than stuff in the city.

arlingtonjoe and foobula like this.
  14. Orlando

Orlando Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Missed out on this yesterday being in Grand Rapids for KBS. Is there still any Cherry or Coffee on? Or did it kick quickly?

15. DarkMagneto

Beer Trader

I left at 8pm and all beers were still going. I bet they still have Coffee. Cherry was pretty popular, so I bet that kicked after I left at 8.

16. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

BallyDoyle Aurora was a shitstorm -- tapped out in 25 mins. Despite sitting at the bar well beforehand, I had to kick and scream to get a pour. Local Option wasn't bad on 3/14 -- that was a 3pm weekday tapping and there was a ton of other good stuff to choose from as well.

Pretty funny that Mt. Prospect got two kegs of Cherry (good for us!) Who would have picked MP as a hotbed of craft beer bars in the NW suburbs?

17. arlingtonjoe

arlingtonjoe Devotee (432) Jan 20, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

went yesterday with my beer bud and had a great time. had cherry,coffee,big john,nightstalker,bcbs,gran gas and golden godess. love the 3 oz. pours. went around 5:00, and we were easily seated. it was just a wonderful easy going event and got to try a lot of goose beers on tap in the northwest burbs.

18. VagabondHops

VagabondHops Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2012 Illinois

Coffee just kicked. My wife and I swung in on our way home from Easter in hopes of getting a glass. We got 1 and 3/4 glass, and it kicked. Sounds like it was a fun event, and awesome for the burbs! They still have all other goose brews on tap...

19. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

Tonight they said (over the phone) that coffee & regular were on. Apparently cherry kicked though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.