Goose Island 312 Urban Block Party - September 21'st

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by burica2020, Jul 22, 2013.

1. burica2020

burica2020 Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

I'm sure a bunch of you know but for those that don't, Goose is throwing another Block Party this year on September 21'st and it looks like tickets are again only available through raffle, sweepstakes, etc. I actually just got an email saying I won so I suppose they are picking a bunch everyday. It is chicago, so enter early and enter often.

https://www.facebook.com/gooseislandbeer/app_518448688210015

thetomG likes this.
  2. moefriedman

moefriedman Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Huzzah!
    Pear BCS here I come!!

3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Anyway to get involved in the raffle/etc without being on Facebook?

4. mdomask

mdomask May 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Last year, they did ticket giveaways at various tap takeover events. The band also ran a contest to give away tix. There were also some Twitter-related things (like, follow us on Twitter and come find us at some random location around Chicago that we just took a picture of).

Edit: The tap takeovers also tended to feature BCBS, the current Fulton & Wood, or both.

5. Chiefilliniwek

Chiefilliniwek Mar 4, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

BUSY, BUSY beer weekend, Sept 21st is one day after Festiv-ale, and the same day as the Logan Square Beer Fest and the city made beer festival in Andersonville

6. foobula

foobula Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

7. burica2020

Everyone of their contests requires you to like download, give access too or like some new thing, all of which I'm sure is data mining but at the end of the day, last years block party had like 5 or six different BCS variants.

8. foobula

My approach is if GI wants me at their party they'll make it easier. It was cool to see them & Virtue take over Pitchfork, and I'm expecting they bring the goods to GTMW like last year. Also looking forward to FoBAB and Belgian Fest. With those plus continued BCS tappings around town there's no shortage of opportunities to drink tasty GI beer. I don't need to enter some goofy drawing. And I do hope they're prepping to release a new BCS variant later this year and just don't want to announce it yet in case there are problems.

9. Grohnke

Grohnke Sep 15, 2009 Illinois

also, the raffle entry thing doesn't work on the ipad, which essentially prevents me from entering. life is hard

10. RobotScott

RobotScott May 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I just randomly got tickets to this in the mail. Anyone else win?

mychalg9 likes this.
  11. jplopez21

jplopez21 Nov 14, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I just won tix as well, but I think I entered 5 different times.

12. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Nov 8, 2011 Illinois

Tickets showed up at my house today too

13. dmsulli

dmsulli Jan 30, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Everyone I know who won, including me, had their "winner" confirmation email in their Spam filters. I'd imagine a lot more of you who entered are going to wind up with tickets in the mail.

14. jdhende

jdhende Sep 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Also won tickets to the block party. Goose also gave me tickets to pitchfork too. I could get used to these contests.

BlastBeats and thetomG like this.
  15. burica2020

16. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

Dang! At that price... no, probably not.

FWIW, there was the following exchange via Twitter last week. I remain skeptical.

17. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

When/where was this contest??

And now 2 for 1???

My butt hurts, I paid the full $25 for one ticket.. : (
    O well, could be worse.

Are they trying to make this a repeat shit show of the first block party this summer??? I would think they would not want to sell out, because when they did for he 25th anni block party everything got out of hand. EDIT: Actually the 25th anni block party did not sell out, but it was still wayyy out of hand

I guess they think they are prepared enough to handle whatever crowd comes their way this time???
    Because for the 25th party, I think if the attendance was cut in half, it still would have been a shit show.

Within the first 5 minutes of that party, I was talking to 3 GI employees who all agreed there was ZERO organization and that it was just complete chaos.

I hope it's different this time, though I am not getting my hopes up.

I love GI, but they seem to be really crappy at organizing events.

18. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Pass out tickets in line for the first X number of people to get a pour of their choice. (Choose from Rare, Bramble, etc.) Only those individuals with a ticket are guaranteed a pour, and can get the pour at any time during the event up until a designated time. If there is any left over after that time (at Goose's choosing), it goes first come, first served until tapped. This requires people to collaborate together to get a taste of what they want, but that might fix the overcrowding problem and the unorganized nature of the last block party. Just a thought.

atomic likes this.
  19. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

Why does it even have to be such a fiasco where we have to come up with some new scientific way of running a "festival" ??

I do not understand why they go from such extremes. How many tickets were sold for the Black Friday tasting at GI Clybourn last winter? A couple hundred, at max, I believe. And it sold out right away. And most importantly it was a professional type event where people were civil and did not have to go running to the barrel aged booth the second the doors open and elbowing everybody to try to get some beer.

2000 tickets were sold/available for the block party at the beginning of this summer... Given that the limit on the tickets for THIS event is 10; its safe to say that no less than 2000 tickets are being sold for this event.
    I realize events like Belgium Fest might be somewhere in between, but why can't you have a super solid event (I heard this years belgium fest was weak) that is more than 200 people, but less than 2,000 ???

I would be fine if I did not land a ticket for such an event, because perhaps next time I could. As opposed to having tickets available to every event because it's completely oversold and saturated with people.

Sell 500 tickets. Have the event in a large enough space, spread each of the rare, barrel, popular beers out as far as possible. One at each corner, then the rest spread out in between. Give out punch cards when people walk in; with 2 or maybe 3 punches per rare beer and another 20 punches for the rest of the beers from other breweries, etc. ...That way, nobody or any one group is hoarding around any one beer. If for some reason they have the new unheard of diamond and 24ct gold BCBS available, each person will only be allowed 2 pours. That way people are not constantly cycling the line.

20. JRBecks

JRBecks Apr 3, 2012 Illinois

I just won tickets as well, am I allowed to show up late to the party or do I have to be there at a certain time to get in?

21. TravisMBinns

TravisMBinns Apr 30, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This is not going to be like the Anniversary party, if it's anything like last year's Block Party. Last year there was plenty of space and opportunity to taste all of the different BCS offerings. Seriously, are we going to compare everything Goose Island does to one bad event? Are you all the same people that get upset when Dark Lord Day sells out in 10seconds and then suggests that they should sell more tickets so more people can go and still have it be a disaster every year? (Note, I thought this years' was run pretty well).
    Look, the Anniversary party was too crowded and not very well organized. Everyone understands that.

moefriedman likes this.
  22. burica2020

ya, people are forgetting last years 312 block party was filled with half st vincent/music fans. Also the crowd was 1/2 that of the block party. Assuming there will be lots of low (whose a pretty big indie for the past 20 years that consistently play near or sell out shows the metro), toyko police club (everybody remembers nature of the experiment) & disappears (huge local band that at one time featured steve shelley of sonic youth) fans, this should be relatively laid back and not jam packed with truck chasin hoardin chicagoans. But who knows, they might have more people then last year and all you fringe BA folks will be pounding on the fences and crowding tables for a sip of flat, past its prime Rare.

moefriedman likes this.
  23. mykey120

mykey120 Aug 13, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Even if rare is flat and past its prime, it is still mighty tasty! lol Something as simple as spreading out the more sought after beers would make a huge difference IMO compared to the anniversary party, they said they addressed issues and I hope they did. Also, having to pay for pours instead of having a punch card will cut attendance I bet

24. sbxx

sbxx Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

Now I might actually go. $25 each simply wasn't worth it.

25. foobula

If anyone wants to go in on the BOGO, shoot me a BM. And by BM I mean Beer Mail, not the other BM.

26. Vav

Vav Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

Aw shit :(

27. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

the thing is though that last year, no one had any idea that the taplist would be as ridiculously good as it was. now you start promoting an event where you prominently feature rare, and you're going to draw a lot more beer hoarding types.

personally, between belgian fest on sunday and local option and zwanze day this weekend, i don't know if i'll have the liver power for another event this month.

28. mychalg9

mychalg9 Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I randomly got tickets today too, and don't even remember signing up for anything.

29. mychalg9

Beer Trader

Also how does this work, do you pay cash for everything?

30. foobula

I guess it isn't even called beer mail anymore, I'm behind the times! (link)

31. burica2020

Last year you bought tokens which then bought beer (cue david cross joke about the token impresario meeting with goose island trying to get rid of all these tokens) . A token was like 5 bucks I think, and you got a decent size pour of rare stuff into plasticy wine glasses, whereas standards were a nice full pint for the token.

mychalg9 likes this.
  32. mychalg9

Beer Trader

Ok thanks, trying to figger out how much money I'll be spending. Sounds like at least $35...

33. burica2020

That's exactly what I spent last year, but I also have friends that work at the radio station sponsoring that gave me a ton of free tokens (last year also had a sizable VIP area in the barrel house) so I probably would've spent like 60 bucks. But more was on tap last year, I think they were just clearing out all sorts of sixlet experiments that were laying around the fulton brewhouse; sour pere jaques, brett 312, coffee & raspberry BCS, ghost pepper BCS, the infamous PEAR BCS (j/k) etc etc.

mychalg9 likes this.
  34. kodt

kodt Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

Wait, so you have to pay for your pours on top of the ticket fee? Not like the anniversary party where you got a punch card?

35. burica2020

I haven't the faintest idea, but that's how it worked last year. I doubt for what is now a 12.50 ticket your getting ten pours but I have no idea. My assumption is that the ticket is for access & music, because no where does it say the ticket includes drinks.

Unless of course you were being funny and I'm beating a dead horse because sarcasm doesn't translate via typed word.

36. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

$25 for admission and music! Who does GI think they are, FFF?

BlastBeats likes this.
  37. kodt

kodt Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

No, not kidding. I went to the anniversary party and it included something like 15 pours, which you could not even possibly drink. Those tickets were $25.

38. moefriedman

moefriedman Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This is a Music Fest that just so happens to have great beers available for sale. If it's anything like last year, spending $30 to get some great beers plus see some bands is more than fair. Haven't you people been to a concert lately? $25 is pretty fair. $12.50 is a downright steal

39. mychalg9

Beer Trader

Well that's fine for a concert for a band I actually like... ;):cool:

40. incubuscience

incubuscience Jul 26, 2012 Illinois

At $12.50 a ticket, it's almost like THEY'RE paying ME to go listen to two cool bands. And drink their fancy beer. Twist my arm, why don't ya?!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe