News Goose Island aims to shake off rough year with new beers

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jaycase, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,161) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Interesting article and interview with Todd Ahsmann, president of Goose Island Beer Co., on topics such as struggles with their main portfolio, their move into the 16oz can trendiness & some others. I'm sure there will be some who fixate on his last couple of quotes in the article though. :wink:

Article:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-food-goose-island-rebound-0404-story.html

A couple excerpts:

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,618) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

“…Goose Island is instead trying to develop “the No. 1 hoppy portfolio” in the nation.”

Sounds like they have been reading the Stone, Sierra Nevada,… playbooks.

I suppose at some point in time the hoppy beer portion of the craft beer segment will reach saturation?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

3. Ryan4120

Ryan4120 Disciple (364) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia

Maybe they should stop putting out largely mediocre beers. Personally, I think their taste has gone down hill since they were bought out.

MonkeyBread, pinyin, Leebo and 11 others like this.
  4. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Crusader (771) May 2, 2010 Ohio

Am I the only one who got the impression that this douchebag has no clue. It' all about the beer you idiot. If you want to get past the stigma that comes from the "craft" beer community about your "national craft beer company", you better start producing a better line of beers. The shit you are pumping out now are mainly shelve turds. Wake up man, wake up.

I won' even bother commenting on his last statement. Sounds like the kind of guy that got his ass beat at school every day.

5. jkrich

jkrich Champion (834) Nov 1, 2001 Florida

I noticed that the only products now available in the Florida panhandle are the IPA and 312 wheat ale. At one time, you could find Honker's ale and most of the seasonal offerings. The IPA should be revamped as it has become very tired and dull.

MonkeyBread and CaptainHate like this.
  6. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (733) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

A bit harsh and (IMO) misinformed. If it's only about the beer, why do you think Blue Moon by itself outsells the majority of craft breweries? Sounds like they are trying some new and different things. Have you tried them? I have not. By the sounds of the Tribune article, this first stab sounds positive.

Like many national breweries catering to the "craft" crowd, they find themselves adrift in innumerable local competitors>>across the country. There is such an intense localvore movement that no shock their national brands have slid. Add to it the In Bev ownership, the Goose Island barrel goof ups and the backlashes from both, they have a long hill to climb. Sounds like the new guy is trying to move the main brewery in a different direction. He headed Blue Point so has at least some knowledge of navigating the national thing.

All that being said, I'm not a big fan of In Bev sellouts--I waved Wicked Weed good bye but wish no ill will on anyone.

#6 surfcaster, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    DrewSnyc667, nc41, bmugan and 5 others like this.
  7. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

I think I speak for everyone when I say BCBS and its variants are the only GI beers worth purchasing. That Cooper Project program is a joke. A BA bock? Are you kidding? That's worse than a BA IPA.

8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,540) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

No, you don't speak for everyone. I spend more on Sofie than I do on BCBS and it's variants. Also, I'm not alone in doing that.

9. JackHorzempa

Premium

I agree about the part of "intense localvore movement". Why do you think that Blue Moon is kicking ass despite this movement? Is there anything that Goose Island can learn from Blue Moon?

Cheers!

10. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Initiate (40) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin

A couple weeks ago they were running a special buy a 6 pack, get one free. I bought a honkers Ale and an IPA for old times sake. After drinking a couple of each I remember why I moved on to other beers. Both lacking in taste and quality but the price was right I guess.....

11. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (733) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

A bet a lot of folks wish they knew. My 2cents was that it "early enough," was marketed well and had a broad appeal to lots of people who weren't interested in "hoppy" beer. On a national and even regional level, the style really didn't evolve and it remains a well recognized "safe." It was "sweet," easy to drink, and folks liked putting that orange slice in it. Almost a 0 IBU NEIPA now that i think about it. :scream: (just kidding)

I think it was in the right place at the right time.

12. zid

zid Champion (867) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Um, according to the article, Goose IPA has had a 29% growth in sales and is currently the fourth biggest selling IPA in the US.

laketang, steveh, jcos and 3 others like this.
  13. zid

From the article:
    :thinking_face:

14. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Zealot (525) Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota
    Premium

I know, right?

PbFarmer, EvenMoreJesus and zid like this.
  15. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,183) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

16. zid

I was wondering if the author meant "one of the first craft beers." Did Matilda have Brett from the very beginning?

17. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (774) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Uhhh... what's wrong with a barrel aged bock? If it's strong enough and suitable for aging then it is a perfect candidate. What are you on? Can I have some?

18. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,383) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

That made me do a double take, but then I thought that maybe they meant one of the first GI beers?

19. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (790) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

I think it did. The story I always heard was that it was heavily inspired by Orval. Don’t remember the source.

Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  20. FBarber

Premium Trader

The same source that says that they've been brewing BCBS since 1992? :wink:

Can_has_beer and JohnnyChicago like this.
  21. zid

Yeah - as far as I know too. I'm now wondering if any US "craft" brewers were intentionally using Brett before 2000 (picking a nice round date here).

FBarber likes this.
  22. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Thier IPA tastes like soap to me (?)

Glad to read about all day IPA passing them. I'm starting to see it pop up everywhere here fresh too! Gotta drink it fast and keep up with the distributor before it gets backed up like Ballast point

23. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (322) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I don't know about bcbs, never tried it, so of course this makes me a heathen unworthy of the most minimal consideration. That said, I never buy goose island beer, sofie is nice but I have access to what i consider better beer. I feel like the same applies for bcbs but i don't know. Their IPA is mediocre as hell unless it has changed it's recipe in the last few years. I'm sure they'll do fine, well financed businesses tend to.
    bad luck to them is all i can say

BigIslandfarmer and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  24. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (152) Oct 6, 2004 California

I'd think the big thing they could do is don't half-ass "craft-y".

Whether they like it or not, with the buy out and the BCS failures they're no longer thought of in the same manner of a Sierra Nevada or Lagunitas by most of the craft community, let alone the level of smaller regional brewers. They're never going to get that credibility back; the market is just too competitive and certainly seems not to favor 'legacy' brewers at the moment. The thing with Blue Moon is that they don't pretend to be anything more than they are. There's no talk of history, no nonsense about building a "hop portfolio". If you're saying things like "hop portfolio" in a press release/interview...you're corporate beer. Own that. Make good, middle-of-the-road corporate beers, and the patrons of "craft-y" establishments will eat that up. Don't waste the time and advertising dollars trying to hold on to the hard-core craft minority. Short of BCS, Sofie, and Matilida, that ship has sailed.

Eddiehop and surfcaster like this.
  25. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,943) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

DoctorZombies and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  26. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,540) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yeah, I thought so too. It's become even more interesting over the last year as the things he got wrong are playing out in ways he didn't anticipate.

DoctorZombies likes this.
  27. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,037) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...tant-beers-ever-food-0222-20170214-story.html

Matilda (Goose Island Beer Co.)

Speaking of Brettanomyces, Goose Island was among the first breweries to mainstream that yeast with the 2005 introduction of Matilda, a tribute to legendary Belgian beer Orval. Goose Island needed more than a year to figure out how to make a beer with Brett. Most of the literature at the time was about how to keep it out of beer. Matilda quickly caught the attention of both customers and fellow brewers, which has helped make Brett an industry staple. (F&W: Not ranked)

DrippingI, denver10, steveh and 5 others like this.
  28. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (407) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I thought they were already doing this. Pretty sure GI put out 2 DIPAs this past year (Naturally Juicy and... I think a WC IPA, something Green). Their Muddy Impy Stout too, but thats more than a couple years old I think.

djtothemoney likes this.
  29. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,553) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

I don't ever see go IPA being the top beer in the us, it is an English IPA and most IPA drinkers here are going to the more American version of the style. I think it is a good beer for the style, but betting most of it's growth is via tap handles located in craft deserts. I have never been a fan of their core lineup, but I love the sister line.

russpowell likes this.
  30. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (596) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Really? as mentioned in the article & a previous post in this forum, GI IPA is the 4th best selling IPA in the US & climbing. I like it, & think it’s a better (& way more consistent) beer now that it’s brewed by ABInbev.

Also keep in mind their IPA is REALLY price competitive too, that’s attractive to many folks.

Spikester and Sweatshirt like this.
  31. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

Did you have the BA bock?

32. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (774) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

It didn't. Was it bad?

33. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,313) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

So, long aging an IPA in wooden vessels would be bad? :thinking_face:
    Must be why the "Aged in the Wood One Year" Ballantine India Pale Ale only lasted on the market for about a century - easily the longest-lived US-brewed IPA - the beer even stuck around for another quarter century or so after Falstaff/Pabst started lowering the aging period in the 1970-90s.
    [​IMG]

JimKal, tzieser, Trojan713 and 5 others like this.
  34. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (87) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania

No, you don't speak for everyone. I wouldn't purchase any Goose Island beer, BCBS included.

35. FBarber

Premium Trader

Are you referring to the blonde doppelbock? I had it and was unimpressed. it wasn't bad, I just didn't care for it. The scotch ale (No. 1), and the porter (No. 3) were both good. Haven't had the most recent Scotch barrel one.

[edit]: seems the scotch barrel is not technically listed under the Cooper Project.

MonkeyBread and BeerPugz like this.
  36. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (137) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

Our local Kroger had 12 oz bottles of Lolita in the pick 6 for $9.99 cooler the other day.

I'm not as against AB-InBev as others on here, but I agree the standard Goose IPA is tired.

37. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (520) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

And you can even get it in 4 packs of sixteen ounce cans these days so that's got to be good for a few extra sales too.

38. jcos

jcos Initiate (194) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

The last time I purposely had a Goose Island IPA was at a concert venue when it was the only option beyond standard AAL style beers. I'm guessing that is how they do a lot of sales in general, at public venues where you don't have that many choices.

39. JackHorzempa

Premium

My guess is that the majority of their sales are off of supermarket (or equivalent) shelves.

Cheers!

Sweatshirt likes this.
  40. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,553) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

I find it a good example of an English IPA, but the current trend on IPA's are citrus tropical bombs. As I said I would imagine a lot of it's growth is due to it's placement