Goose Island Bourbon County 2019 (Great Lakes)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by flat_lander, Jun 8, 2019.

1. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (591) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

2. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (368) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I think its kinda goofy that they sent out very obvious plants this year instead of the more subtle ones.

ktr5010, FBarber, Ferocious and 2 others like this.
  3. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (739) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Don't crush my dreams bro.

FBarber, flat_lander and Gambyt20 like this.
  4. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (190) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

BCDDHBS :joy:

FBarber likes this.
  5. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Crusader (788) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Are they west coast or east coast oysters?! :stuck_out_tongue:

6. flat_lander

Society Trader

This guy gets it!

FBarber and Gambyt20 like this.
  7. lloydboss

lloydboss Aspirant (291) May 9, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

New England style oysters of course

JJR62, Jason1221, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  8. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (191) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Call me a beer purist, but I don’t think oysters should be in beer. Why can’t they just do BBA stout with lactose, nibs, coffee, and maple?

/sarcasm in case anyone read that for real

joedodger, TylerJ, Mickt465 and 5 others like this.
  9. DLDlulz

DLDlulz Initiate (165) Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Current President Todd A ran Blue Point brewery previously and had setup strategic relationships with all the big East Coast Oysteries.

FBarber, Ferocious and Jplachy like this.
  10. Jplachy

Trader

This is a good post.

Ferocious likes this.
  11. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (265) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I'd actually be super into a dry hopped variant if it's anything like Night Stalker. What a fabulous beer that was.

12. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,534) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

What about south coast oysters? That's a moot question anyway because Michigan won't get much of anything regardless of north, south, east or west.

FBarber and Junior like this.
  13. Gunslinger711

Gunslinger711 Initiate (189) Apr 16, 2010 Indiana

As long they aren't Rocky Mountain oysters I'll try it...

14. JoeSpartan22

JoeSpartan22 Initiate (53) Apr 23, 2017 Illinois

Third coast oysters, anyone?

FBarber, Junior and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. flat_lander

Society Trader

16. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (711) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Lol, think those are Zebra Mussels....

17. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (221) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Where the hell is the coffee?

JakerLou and dukeandduke like this.
  18. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (132) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Seems like they are trying to get cute with it. I don't blame them. The current craft beer demand isn't for the same classics. Every one wants something new and weird.

eppie82 and FBarber like this.
  19. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,307) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Phew. I was a bit worried we would not have a BCBS thread containing unfettered speculation and rampant rumors from a Chicagoland perspective. :wink:

20. flat_lander

Society Trader

There's more beers to come if I had to make a guess. Last year we had 8 beers in the line (including Prop and regular). So far we have regular, WW, Double Barrel, and 2 year reserve that are showing bottling labels. We know a Prop is coming. The Reserve Rye is a keg label. Oyster is a keg label (and probably fake), and Dry Hopped is also a keg label (and also another possible plant). Hopefully Coffee returns in all of it's glory in one of those 2-3 slots we're still waiting to hear about. Wish we were getting Barleywine back instead of WW. And I like WW quite a bit.

That said, if Dry Hopped is real, is that basically BA Nightstalker?

21. HouseofWortship

Trader

If it were double dry hopped wouldn't the big selling point be listing the specific hops used on the label? Given that they haven't done that I am skeptical of that variant.

As for coffee, the simplest fix in my mind would be to put a BCBS Coffee label over the BCBS Green Pepper label. If the the coffee turns they can rip the top label off and go "No, it clearly states this is Green Pepper BCBS."

22. Jplachy

Trader

While I'm almost certain that this variant doesn't exist. They do have Dry-Hopped 312 which does not brag about the hop that is used in the dry-hopping.

23. HouseofWortship

Trader

Good point. I'd just think from a marketing stand point from year to year switching up the hops used keeps the hype up and goes with the pattern of rotating fruit, barrels, etc. each year. What would have more hype the 2nd year- pair one "2019 DDH BCBS with Citra and Galaxy and 2020 DDH BCBS with Citra and Galaxy"or pair two "2019 DDH BCBS with Citra and Galaxy and 2020 DDH with Citra and Mosaic?"

24. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,941) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Am I the only one who would actually totally be down for a BCB Oyster stout?

Also, it seems the next phase of BCBS variants will just be branded barrels ... :joy:

GuyFawkes and Gunslinger711 like this.
  25. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (150) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

It's been 6 years since we had coconut. Make BCBS (with) Coconut Again

26. JJ_17

JJ_17 Initiate (186) Apr 22, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

We need signs reading: Make Bourbon County Great Again with a picture of Prop 13

flat_lander, Jinx989, Vitacca and 3 others like this.
  27. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Crusader (788) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Can't we just have an all-stars lineup 2019? Prop 13, 14, & 17 as variants, plus VR, etc.,
    Wishful thinking I know... :wink:

28. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (467) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I find it intriguing that GI is emphasizing single sourced barrels in more variants each year. Such as the Larceny barrel aged Wheatwine.

Just guessing, but I can think of a few reasons why this might be advantageous. Marketing/profit, more targeted flavor of the finished product, and possibly easier to manage for the brewers due to less emphasis on blending of barrels.

Personally I'm intrigued by the new single source barrels for Wheatwine and hope to do a side-by-side.

I wouldn't be surprised if the single source trend continues.

29. ktr5010

ktr5010 Devotee (406) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

I think Reserve has been a big hit and they took note. They get to charge more for them even if the barrels are no more expensive to acquire, then again the single barrels might be more expensive. It might be more of a pain to get enough of a specific type of barrel though and quantity may limit overall production, which again you can charge more.
    Wheatwine coming back is interesting. I thought that it was fine but do miss the regular barleywine. Had a 17 a day ago and it reminded me why I loved it so much.

BuffaloBill12, SeanBond and FBarber like this.
  30. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,433) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Discuss, you fucks.

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  31. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,941) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

The national thread devolves into infection jokes and discussion ad naseum, whereas the GL thread tends to stay more on topic (case in point the general 2019 thread already has 3 pages with tons of infection discussion). GI has Chicago specific events and releases that are of no national concern but are discussed here as well as Prop which is a Chicago land only variant. Its cool that you don't think we need two - feel free to only follow one. I honestly don't know why you'd care that much?

32. flat_lander

Society Trader

Sure thing. First off, Todd's the one who reactivated this thread immediately after I messaged him. So whoever is grumpy about this can stop reporting it as a duplicate.

Because the general thread is annoying AF. I actually 'unwatched' that thread as soon as I made this one. I couldn't even handle 1 day of it. It's people mostly making tired ass infection jokes (not sarcastically), arguing about ABI, making false claims about new infections, and other shit I really don't care to read about incessantly.

From a less personal preference standpoint, there is a lot of BCBS release stuff that is pretty specific to this region, particularly the Chicagoland area (and to a lesser extent IL in general), that is irrelevant to the rest of the country. Trudging through all the aforementioned bullshit on a daily basis would not be fun.

Lastly, we're more fun anyways.

#32 flat_lander, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    JakeT469, eppie82, Junior and 16 others like this.
  33. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,064) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, who wants to talk about BCBS with the non-Chicagoland plebes? :wink:

(In all seriousness, the infection jokes mostly stopped being funny first year, and after that I started feeling physically embarrassed for most of the people making them)

34. flat_lander

Society Trader

Get out of my head.

Right? The worst are the ones who are really angry about it still and use it as a troll to get people into some big philosophical debate. Stop reading the thread and, if you haven't already, stop buying the beer if you're that angry about it.

35. HouseofWortship

Trader

As people pointed out, whether it is Binny's Black Friday, Prop, Prop Day, barrel room/taproom/brewpub events, Chicago has a unique BCBS experience compared to the rest of the country so rather than muck up the national thread with information useful to one area, why not just use our own? All the important national stuff will get transferred to that thread anyway.

36. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (265) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah
    And yet how many likes do the same tired Mikerphone ruined everything jokes get?

BuffaloBill12 and FBarber like this.
  37. HouseofWortship

Trader

Sadly this is a case of Mikerphone ruining Mikerphone ruin jokes...

eppie82, capnmike, jaysker95 and 9 others like this.
  38. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,433) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I have not, and have no interest in, reporting these threads. If you feel it's so important to have multiples for the same release, kewl. :rolling_eyes:

It's not more fun to have dupe threads for the same topic. It's lammmme. Whatevs.

And there's really only a couple of "region" specific things in Chicago for BC (let's face it, I'd still bet a large plurality, if not the majority participating in those events are from out of state).

And, don't most of those events get yet another event specific thread once announced?

If ya can't handle the jackholes talking about infection...I mean, it's a real thing. If they want to use it as a burn, and/or refrain from buying BCBS, let them waste the energy on it/their loss.

Anyway, I'm unfollowing both, SO THERE! :grin:

Oh and Mikerphone does indeed suck.

39. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,064) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I don't even entirely know the origin of those jokes (I don't follow the Miker thread, really; only started again once in a while since he's finally canning), but I always assumed those were somewhat tongue-in-cheek (and also not years old). But the GI infection jokes pop up on half of GI's fucking Twitter posts, too, so at a certain point it's just so, so tiring to read.

With all that being said, fair point.

FBarber likes this.
  40. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,165) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I think you're missing the point. I absolutely do want a thread about the release events local to Chicago, etc. (I know this one is labeled as the entire GL but it will be 90% Chicago in stout season) that doesn't get bogged down with nationwide information. I would think you would not follow this one since you don't live here (unless you were planning to visit Chicago in late November or December).

Will this thread get partially bogged down with discussion about specifics to the beers that are getting distributed nationally (and about existential stuff)? Yes, but not to the extent that it isn't worth it for those of us who live here.