Goose Island Bourbon County 2019

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Lazhal, Jun 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (353) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Gladly would take more vanilla. Any help?

2. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,082) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

They taste nothing like oysters. And I'm not sure if the allergy risk but that might be a real concern

meefmoff and FBarber like this.
  3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Just to clarify one point, you use the words, “making allowances” and seem to have inferred that I’m defending them as BEST, but neither is actually my motivation in trying to sort things out for myself here, instead think “alternative explanations.” Just as part of your professional life seems to be bound up with barrels, part of my professional life is bound up with understanding and preventing failures at both an individual and organizational level. Part of what I have learned from the pros is that in many very complex situations what seems to be “human error” is actually the result of something built into the complexity of the system and constitutes what one author has called “The Revenge of Unintended Consequences” i.e., the result of all several different apparently reasonable decisions and procedures all coming together in an unplanned unexpected way. (For one big example consider Three Mile Island, a failure that was supposed to have a probability of less than 1 in a billion.) Such things even happen when there has been a lot of systems thinking involved. So my starting point is deciding wither the system failed rather than the people in the system.

A different explanation for coffee? No, as I pointed out lots of barrel aging programs wind up having to dump part of what they brewed and then go on to release the rest successfully. So for me a part of the batch being dumped is a red flag which looks bigger and redder after the fact given how often it has happened in barrel aging programs that some percentage has been dumped and the rest released without problems developing later as the result of that bug nobody thought was dangerous. Furthermore even if they had dumped the rest of the Coffee batch that wasn’t the only variant that show infection and that wouldn't have prevented the big problems they had.

Anyway, for example, one of the things that is lacking here is an overall timeline and that could be critical. The Chicago Tribune reporter whose post you link to indicated his tasting took place six weeks before Black Friday. I doubt that tasting took place before bottling, but we don’t know for sure. More importantly do we know for certain that that variant had not already shipped before that tasting? Six weeks is not a very long time when you have to have the beer in the hands of all retailers in the US before a certain date. So as you have pointed out Black Friday probably contributed to the problem. As for a single release day, what is the alternative? Shipping takes time. As soon as some from the first delivery in state X is sold the word will hit social media and then all the retailers in all the US states, who may not even know yet when their shipment will arrive, will start having the phones go wild with calls from potential customers. Sure the Black Friday event creates excitement, but of a very different kind than that first sighting without a Black Friday and is something that saves many of your retailers from having a another BIG headache. (BTW what your underline seems to indicate is that GI was being more cautious than in the past and so far as we know it is now more cautious than barrel aging programs in general have been in the past. That is a good sign, but I doubt that at this stage that level of caution is the norm for barrel aging programs in general.)

daleyke and DonicBoom like this.
  4. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (353) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Same as previous... Gladly take help on vanilla

5. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (285) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Why would they brew a stout that people could potentially be allergic to? That would seriously cut into their market potentially costing them money. I don't see a mega corporation interested in that prospect. I don't buy into that beer at all, not even on a tap-only level.

cmukid87 likes this.
  6. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (385) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

No question BCBS is way more dark fruit tasting than it was pre-2015. I still enjoy it but it was a far better beer then. Now it’s closer to a Black Tuesday, cloyingly sweet, relatively thin, and with prominent raisin notes.

7. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,107) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

:rolling_eyes: don't buy it. Matter of fact, what's the purpose of following a BCBS thread and expending the energy to complain about it?

I haven't really read that over and over again. I think the same people bringing up 2015 like a broken record are instigating this boring discussion that has nothing new to offer.

What's any of that got to do with you, me, the thread or anything else? You're acting like we're the board of directors here. No one here is working there and if you think they're not trying to avoid putting bad tasting beer into a bottle then lulz.

This discussion was over 2-3 years ago good lord if you want to have it again just re-read the past threads.

8. drtth

Well I learned something new this year and from something you said that makes a great deal of sense. So thanks again for that.

9. Sabtos

Society Trader

On the other hand...beer reps aren't held to the same standard as lab techs so I'm taking it with a grain of salt as should you.

I think the further away we get from 2015 the less clarity we'll have on the subject, outside of the fairly openly delivered information they provided when they felt comfortable disseminating what they discovered to the public.

drtth likes this.
  10. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Jeez, t took forever to find some actual numbers.
    About 4% of the population has a food allergy of some sort with the majority of those being Asians and women (https://www.webmd.com/allergies/new...rcent-of-americans-suffer-from-food-allergies).
    (https://draxe.com/shellfish-allergy/)
    Using the max of 2.5% of the population, minus the 13 states GI doesn't distribute to, subtracting people under 21, and subtracting people who don't drink stouts.
    It doesn't look like they'll take much of an economic hit by releasing an oyster stout.

11. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,005) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I did buy it and have for many years, just less and less every year. Just because my opinion may not be the most positive one does not mean I shouldn't express it.

Junior likes this.
  12. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (338) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Ummm how many people are allergic/intolerant to gluten?

13. FatBoyGotSwagger

Society

A quick Google search says 1%. But even in that one percent more then half say they can tolerate gluten. Compared to 2.5% for shellfish.

14. 4truth

4truth Aspirant (237) Jan 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Oh dear, someone can dish it out but can't take it.

Serious question: if you get that I'm "whiteknighting" GI from this post, doesn't it actually say more about your clear obsessive hate for GI and your resulting need to ALWAYS respond to every person in this thread right here who you suspect might like them?

I'll hang up and listen, thanks for taking my call.

Junior likes this.
  15. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

Bourbon County officially jumped the shark in 2018. A rapidly diminishing product for years, last years releases were embarrassing.Bramble rye the final nail in the coffin of bourbon county for me. Regular bcbs still holds up, but $30 for a shoddily made variant when I can go to Finback, Other Half etc and get a much better barrel aged stout for $18 just doesn’t make sense. $70 for a rare in 2015 was the biggest mugging I’ve ever fell victim to.There are still variants sitting on shelves on Long Island as I type this, seems plenty of other people notice the decline in quality too.

meanmutt likes this.
  16. drtth

Thanks for the warning, and I agree with you clarity will disappear in the background noise for most people. But not to worry I always consider the source of information in evaluating it and how it might have gotten distorted over time or though the "grapevine." (We used to play a game called "Chinese Whispers" or "Telephone" or "Whisper down the lane" when I was a kid. :sunglasses:)

Sabtos likes this.
  17. readyski

readyski Defender (602) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

18. Sabtos

Society Trader

Finback!?! :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

Other Half, maybe...sometimes, comes close. The rest of the time they fall extremely short.

19. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,082) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I don't think they are actually an allergy risk. Typically an oyster stout is brewed with the brine from oysters. I don't know how shellfish allergy works but as others have pointed out it is not a common allergy. It's a fairly common style and I've enjoyed all the examples I've had. The best for me was actually a chocolate oyster stout, just to make it a little weirder

KBlodorn likes this.
  20. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (191) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

They don’t taste like oysters or fishy at all. Just a slight saltiness.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  21. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Zealot (551) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Trader

The oyster stout and dry hop stout are not happening.. Just confirmed this with some goose reps.. Wtf is a dry hopped stout anyway

22. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

According to Wikipedia
    So I guess it would be a stout that smells like an IPA?
    A hoppy stout sounds even less appealing than an oyster one.

SierraNevallagash likes this.
  23. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (356) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

https://www.gooseisland.com/archived-beers/night-stalker

...or basically any RIS. A high abv black IPA is in the same neighborhood too.

24. Sabtos

Society Trader

These days, the pastriarchy would consider Hoppin Frog DORIS in that camp too. Or even Great Divide's Yeti series.

Where my HoFro haters at?!?!

Prince_Casual likes this.
  25. FatBoyGotSwagger

Society

Makes sense there would be no reason to barrel age an oyster stout it would diminish the soft edge that is provided by normally just using the shells and some use the whole oyster. I've been jealous of the Brewers who use whole oysters because they get to have a small feast when the boil is over.

Justonemore91 likes this.
  26. Sabtos

Society Trader

8-14 hour (or longer) boiled oyster??? Nah thanks!

27. FatBoyGotSwagger

Society

You could toss em in whenever they don't need to boil the whole time :wink:

28. Sabtos

Society Trader

You could...but, what do they actually do when they actually make this style of beer?

29. FatBoyGotSwagger

Society

Sabtos likes this.
  30. Sabtos

Society Trader

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  31. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,351) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Why don't they just go over the top and make labels with something like "Peanut Butter and Lobster Stout".....

32. Justonemore91

Trader

Because its already been done :grin:

33. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (477) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

BCBS 2017 and 2018 fresh were fantastic. Some of the best no frills BA stouts I've had in a while. I had a 2013 and 2014 BCBS this year and did not like either better than the fresh 2018.

The Bramble I had shortly after the 2018 release didn't impress me at all. Had a bottle about a month ago, which makes it about 9 months old, and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't say this much about BA stouts, but I think Bramble improved. Going to crack another one sometime in the next 3-6 months and I'll know for sure.

cavedave and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  34. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,347) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Chill. I was responding to the comment about infection. And this thread has gone all over the map, so calling me out on straying off topic is ridiculous.

35. Justonemore91

Trader

Nah goose reserve is on another level.. I love finback and other half but goose bourbon reserve is still a wtf stout every year.. Goose has been doing it for much longer and has better barrels.. Give credit where credit is due

36. Sabtos

Society Trader

Beating a dead horse =/= straying off topic. Never even mentioned the word topic.

bbtkd likes this.
  37. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,899) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I've never had Bramble fresh, but did have my first ever about the same time you had yours, and I was totally unimpressed by it. It wasn't bad, but it was just meh. The other varieties I've had from the last release just blew me away.

38. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,546) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I never had 2018 Bramble, but the 2013 Backyard Rye I had last year was still spectacular.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  39. Justonemore91

Trader

Had to crack one open now..[​IMG] Nothing but jammy goodness... A whiskey soaked blackberry that has been dipped in chocolate

thuey, Brehnert, FBarber and 6 others like this.
  40. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Initiate (71) Mar 3, 2016 Illinois

I'll pick up a bottle of any variants I see (usually none), but as usual, I'm good for a case of the regular as usual. I haven't had a ton of different barrel aged stouts, but I love BCBS because its flavor uniquely assertive compared to others available near me, and it is easy to get plenty.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.