Goose Island Bourbon County 2020 (Great Lakes)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Jplachy, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (426) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

2. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (316) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

So as many of us predicted, they really are leaning into the "reserve" angle (although these do not have the "reserve" branding on them, it's essentially what they are).

3. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,376) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

The first label using Eagle Rare barrels states:

"Collaboration with our friends at Buffalo Trace"

but the second using Weller 12 barrels states:

"Collaboration with our friends at Weller"

Does that rub anyone else the wrong way? Makes it seem like there's a fundamental disconnect as to the sourcing.

FBarber, jaysker95, SeanBond and 2 others like this.
  4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (891) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Smart. They have to do that as a way to differentiate it from shelf turding reg. GI's job is to move product, not let it collect dust. Considering it is very difficult to find reserve without going to a release day event this is a great tactic as this product will move.

ChicagoJ and eppie82 like this.
  5. HouseofWortship

Trader

Almost like using AB-Inbev and then GI.

6. Sabtos

Society Trader

Or like saying "Our friends at McDonald's" on one, and then "Our friends at Big Mac" on the other.

7. Jplachy

Trader

I wonder if that wording was requested by Buffalo Trace.

FBarber and ChicagoJ like this.
  8. HouseofWortship

Trader

I wonder if April Fools is a bit early this year...

9. Jplachy

Trader

I've def seen these barrels at the warehouse over the last couple of years.

rmpic82 likes this.
  10. jbecke2

jbecke2 Initiate (162) Oct 22, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

What Anniversary is it?

Hop-Trollop and JFresh21 like this.
  11. miniditka77

miniditka77 Aspirant (240) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought linking the Weller brand with Buffalo Trace would take away some of the Weller mystique. Not that Buffalo Trace is bad or anything, but people seem to regard anything labeled "Weller" as something special.

SeanBond likes this.
  12. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,108) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, I think this is it. For the longest time, Weller was famous for being the best replacement for Pappy, and the hype has been going long enough now that Weller flies off the shelves just based on the strength of the brand (not saying it wasn't always great). To a lot of non-bourbon nerds, BT and Weller are completely different things.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  13. Sabtos

Society Trader

Seems like a poor way to educate your customer base.

Hey guys, we should go to the Weller distillery some time! Buffalo Trace is so last decade.

14. Jplachy

Trader

The bottles of Weller say distilled and bottled by Buffalo Trace.

15. Sabtos

Society Trader

Right. But how many people that drink Weller read the bottle, or own a whole bottle to take the time to read it, as opposed to getting a pour at a bar?

And it seems like I'm also stating the obvious, but when the phrase on the BC label says "at Weller" as if that's as location, that's a misrepresentation or miseducation.

16. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (221) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

ABI isn't really in the business of educating their customers lol, to put it nicely.

17. Jplachy

Trader

The Reserve series is a great example of the education Goose does do around these beers. They say Elijah Craig on the box. But they bring Heaven Hill to Prop Day, they filmed videos at Heaven Hill, etc. They are likely to do the same thing here. I'll light my torch and grab my pitchfork in August if when they announce these they don't correlate the two.

18. kodt

kodt Defender (630) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

4th Anniversary of realizing they didn't actually first brew it in 1992.

19. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (757) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

This thread starting was the pick me up I needed today.

In semi-related news, drank my last Coffee BW the other night. Guess what? It's basically just a barleywine now. And pretry 'meh' at that.

JFresh21, GuyFawkes and Sabtos like this.
  20. HouseofWortship

Trader

So if these are do in 2020 they would have gone in barrels a year ago and 6-9 months ago?

21. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (316) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I know they are running a business but from a consumer's point of view, I love that there is still BCBS regular available in a bunch of places. Often for a great price of $10.

unlikelyspiderperson and Wolvmar like this.
  22. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (150) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

This will be a great year for BCBS hype. Lines at stores will be loooooonger than ever due to social distancing.

So does this look like what they are doing as a "new regular" BCBS? Hopefully the price doesn't swell too much from the fancy names on the labels because I'd like to try 'em but damn is my beer budget shot after being laid off for this damn virus!

23. SeanBond

Trader

Both of these labels say "2 years," so this is basically more along the lines of Rare. It'd be great if these bottles replaced some of the regular collecting dust all over (not that that's a bad thing for us), but I'm sure the will be super limited like the "big" variants always are...despite them showing up at Fulton and Clybourn for like the next decade.

GuyFawkes and Number1Framer like this.
  24. HouseofWortship

Trader

I don't know about you, but I've already started hording masks and gloves in anticipation of getting Prop Day 2020 tickets.

25. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (349) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I'm intrigued as to how the Blanton's barrels will differ from the Eagle Rare, and Weller. Obviously it's aged 6 less months, but I'm referring to the nuances of barrel character in the stout.

Blanton's is one of my go-to bourbons, since it's a nice balance of not overly sweet, and not crazy spicy, but I've been severely underwhelmed with almost all Blanton's BA stouts I've come across.

flat_lander likes this.
  26. HouseofWortship

Trader

They will mainly differ in nuance of the dollar amount....

27. flat_lander

Society Trader

Agree with this 100%. What other beers can people think of that have been billed as Blanton's BA'd?

A few years back (2017?) Transient/Beer Cellar's collab Neckbeard Nectar was aged in Blanton's barrels. I opened my recently and thought it was excellent.

28. Sabtos

Society Trader

Hoppin Frog Blann Ton's Big Blast!!! :grin:

29. Wolvmar

Wolvmar Devotee (466) Jul 2, 2014 Michigan

I doubt I could distinguish the brand of bourbon barrel that an otherwise identical BA beer was aged in. On their own, there are certainly distinguishable differences between BT, Weller, blantons and other bourbons. But when used to age a barleywine or big stout, I think the differences, besides aging time, would be very difficult to detect. But, I’m not a certified beer (or bourbon) judge by any stretch of the imagination.

HouseofWortship and GuyFawkes like this.
  30. rmpic82

rmpic82 Devotee (494) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Society Trader

So, are we expecting all of these labels to be legit? Or are any of these going the way of the Oyster Stout?

31. HouseofWortship

Trader

I think I made a similar comment and Jplachy said he saw barrels marked with these bourbons in the warehouse.

rmpic82 likes this.
  32. Sabtos

Society Trader

Doesn't mean they'll make it to market. Even with labels ready. Even if they get bottled.

33. HouseofWortship

Trader

We could play the game with any label of "Doesn't mean it will make it to market" because who knows when an infection could wipe something out? I'd be willing to bet they do- Reserve is where the money is- it sells out and has black market value whereas adjuncts just crap up the shelves and "evolve" into bigger turds in 2 years, while a nice single bourbon barrel stout should age nicely for up to 5 years.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  34. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Devotee (439) Jun 18, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

This made me laugh out loud.

35. miniditka77

miniditka77 Aspirant (240) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Reserve sells out and has black market value because they don't make nearly as much of it. If they made as much Reserve as they did with Bramble and Mon Cheri, it would be crapping up shelves too.

unlikelyspiderperson and Sabtos like this.
  36. Sabtos

Society Trader

Not to mention, I've found some of the Reserves to be markedly worse than regular

Egotist and jaysker95 like this.
  37. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,612) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I don't know many breweries that do an identical beer in different barrels and release them all at the same time, but there can definitely be pretty noticeable differences between them. Cherry Street brewing has released their 12.12.12 barleywine in 3 or 4 different whiskey barrels for the past two years and I open them all up together at a tasting. It's really interesting to taste the differences and hear everyone's opinions since they definitely vary.

That said, I find that how much I like a bourbon doesn't necessarily translate into how much I'll like a beer aged in the barrel.

38. HouseofWortship

Trader

You are drinking it wrong.

39. flat_lander

Society Trader

It's the drinking part he's got all wrong.

40. SeanBond

Trader

If they made as much Reserve as Bramble and Mon Cheri I'd probably buy no more than a bottle of Reg a year.

HINT HINT GI

miniditka77 and GuyFawkes like this.