Goose Island Bourbon County 2020 (Great Lakes)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Jplachy, Mar 30, 2020.

1. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (233) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Oh massively. I ran out to grab my neckbeard nectar bundle and figured I'd wander over to a couple places to see if I get lucky. No dice on box variants

flat_lander and Nbrock24 like this.
  2. ArchieBunker

ArchieBunker Initiate (17) May 11, 2019 Illinois

Yeah, I'm extremely confident I could leave the house right now and come back with a 2019 regular. They go quicker at bigger name chains like Binnys but they linger around smaller places for a long time. I've grabbed regulars during the summer many a time.

3. PhilBallins

You'll be completely fine finding a regular. There are also a number of places that are putting out some of their leftover 2019 stock that may still be around by then.

Junior and Number1Framer like this.
  4. PhilBallins

"I don't know why people bother to stand in line. I can go get two bottles of regular at jewel whenever I want."

Chris_H_2 and Nbrock24 like this.
  5. LongTaco15

LongTaco15 Aspirant (238) Feb 4, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Everything except for boxed variants available at Woodmans in Volo if anyone in the north burbs are still looking. Just left 5 mins ago. Pallet of regular and a few cases of variants. They did have prop and anniversary this morning.

SWChi and FBarber like this.
  6. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (71) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Well damn. Going to assume I lost. My entry tickets are still in there and no you suck email but also no claim

picked up my classic at binny’s in Rockford. Went inside so didn’t pay until I got there. Went smooth for the most part. Did not travel into the suburbs yet considering Sunday depending on what beer menus says. Got a late start on my trip down to St. Louis so didn’t want to run out of the way a bit.

PhilBallins likes this.
  7. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (271) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Saw in a local FB group that some of the regulars aren’t blended like they normally are and it’s noted on the back of the bottles on the date stamp with either “BT” “WT” or “HH”. For Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey and Heaven Hill. Has that always been the case? Never noticed it before. Not sure how to add pics here but I can post them if anyone can help out there.

#1967 Ckoz, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    ECOBOOSTINST, SWChi, Mcor1 and 9 others like this.
  8. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Initiate (124) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

The one I’m drinking reads

28SEP25 0926BT

That mean Buffalo Trace?

funhog, SWChi, PhilBallins and 3 others like this.
  9. Ckoz

Trader

Yeah that’s it. He did say a friend told him this after learning it from a GI rep. Pretty interesting. And now gives me a reason to hunt down regulars haha.

10. FlaviusG

Trader

Glad I have Buffalo Trace instead of Turkey

ECOBOOSTINST, ChicagoJ and GuyFawkes like this.
  11. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,848) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

This is...kind of awesome?

12. JPick

JPick Initiate (189) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

Interesting. None of my bottles have that? The date is there, but no initials after the date.

13. Ckoz

Trader

Same here. Looks like these are the blended ones.

JPick and GuyFawkes like this.
  14. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Then you have a shitty blended version.*

*It's probably fantastic, but these nonblended versions have me super excited if they really exist.

15. LongTaco15

LongTaco15 Aspirant (238) Feb 4, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Great... now I’m gonna have to hunt down the different regulars.

16. FlaviusG

Trader

My Buddy has one ending in HH

17. Ckoz

Trader

Here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,248) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Haven't seen regular anywhere*

*Haven't looked anywhere yet as I am going to Binnys tomorrow.
    2019 sold out at my local store at the beginning of this month.

#1978 FBarber, Nov 28, 2020
  19. Ckoz

Trader

One that appears to be blended without the initials. Bottled in July whereas the ones not blended were Sept bottling dates.

[​IMG]

20. galos11

galos11 Devotee (451) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

The ones I got from Bolingbrook Binnys have HH
    [​IMG]

funhog, g_1203, PhilBallins and 6 others like this.
  21. Webbbeer

Webbbeer Initiate (37) Jun 17, 2016 Illinois

Looks like my oak brook binnys were blended. Ones I got from mom and pop shop in Lombard are WT

22. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister Initiate (82) Jan 13, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

So now I need to not only buy more Reg to cellar, but also multiples of these Regular barrel variants. Son-of-a-biscuit!

SWChi, Duncan83, Mcor1 and 7 others like this.
  23. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

I really did not think Goose Island could make me give a flying fuck about their program this year outside of Birthday / Anniversary.

However...
    [​IMG]

24. Swcreed013

Swcreed013 Initiate (111) May 14, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Guessing there isn’t a rhyme or reason as to which store got what, but my 3 bottles:

2 bought at Costco - dated 9/29, blended
    1 bought at jewel - dated 9/27, HH

seems odd that they were blending and using single barrel so close on dates if this in fact what the labeling means.

ChicagoJ and GuyFawkes like this.
  25. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Brilliant on the part of Goose Island to have these versions of regular ... assuming that is the case.

g_1203, SWChi, Nbrock24 and 6 others like this.
  26. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (761) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Interesting. All July bottling dates here, 14.6%. All bought downstate, no initials here.

27. bmr29

bmr29 Initiate (56) Apr 30, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Drinking a Fog right now and it is fantastic. The tea really pops on the backend and is not overpowering at all. Thoroughly impressed.

As for the regulars... got 9/29 blended, and one 9/28 BT.

#1987 bmr29, Nov 28, 2020
  28. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (137) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

Fucking GI... making variations (not variants) of regular BCBS and leaving little breadcrumbs for us to discover, or Easter Eggs, or perhaps Deviled Eggs. I've got WT - now I feel the need to get HH and BT, and some blended.
    Screw it - just gonna go buy more Deth's Tar...:flushed::grimacing::astonished:

29. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

@VinHalen54's truck next week:
    [​IMG]

ChiPez66, SWChi, tjdemon and 12 others like this.
  30. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister Initiate (82) Jan 13, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Life is like a box of BCBS...you never know what you're gonna get.

SWChi, Duncan83, TomFoolery_x and 5 others like this.
  31. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (219) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

The weird thing for me is they are gone from my purchases screen and I never got the loser email either.

FBarber likes this.
  32. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,383) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

BCBS is no longer a shelfie. yeahaw. Brilliant move on GI's part if true.

ECOBOOSTINST, SWChi, Duncan83 and 7 others like this.
  33. RpZhivago

RpZhivago Initiate (80) Jan 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Not sure how much of a clearance you’re looking for but in the city and have a Cafe de Olla or two (and maybe even 3) if you want them.

SWChi and FBarber like this.
  34. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (761) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Oh, hey everyone. Let's talk about some GD beer here. No time like the present...

[​IMG]

I primed the palate with a short pour of W12. Fridged Anniversary bottle left sitting on the counter in the box for 20-30 minutes before opening. One thing that definitely caught my eye out of the gate is that this was bottled on June 8, almost 6 months ago. The beer pours and feels thicker than expected for BCBS. Cold it almost had a smokey, soot, licking the inside of a charred barrel feel, with some fig tossed in for good measure. It surprised me and was off putting. I have to say, my first thought was, "WTF?! Let's go look at the trade forum. There's no way I can finish this. Maybe if I cork it it'll be better tomorrow," etc, etc. What have I done with my life and all the other ruminations one goes through after an expensive, and break neck beer buying day.

So I left it and came back later. This beer is excellent, bordering on amazing for me. It has opened up into a very complex, vanilla soaked barrel bomb, leather strapped, with some berries playing in the background. I've spent a good 3.5 hours working through this beer. Give this beer some time to work through once you decide to open it. You won't regret it.

For me, this is the best one I've had of the 2020 line so far. Only Bday, Carmella, and Fog left to try, and the latter is going in the fridge for tomorrow. Cheers!

35. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Devotee (440) Jun 18, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Just checked my two Regs... blended. Dang! What if it comes out that the non-blended Reg variants are rarer than all the others? Power move from GI.

36. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (137) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

"primed the palate"... Nice @flat_lander ! :grin:

Great post above @FBarber - but I laughed out loud at the comment from @Jagrmaister.

So I took a couple of hours to soak in a regular (with WT on the code) and it's really good. But is it worth the $$ compared to others? I'm figuring out if I want more Deth's Tar or more BCBS.

I supposed BCBS is the winner based on history, and that it's in glass vs. a can.
    On price, if GI did 12oz 4pk cans/bottles of 2020 regular BCBS it would be ~$37/4pk and I know I would rather have Deth's Tar at $25/4pk.
    IF they were the same price, I'm not sure what I would do, but realize we are all LUCKY BASTARDS for even contemplating such a first-world issue.
    (could not even be considered a 'problem')

SWChi, flat_lander, Mcor1 and 3 others like this.
  37. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (175) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

I bet they pulled all the honey barrels and bottled them separate with the code then blended the rest into general pop haha.

FBarber and PhilBallins like this.
  38. TomFoolery_x

TomFoolery_x Zealot (515) Oct 4, 2012 Illinois
    Society Trader

C’mon man! Everyone knows you’re not supposed to actually drink the stuff! You’re supposed to come brag on BA and then stare at your extensive BCBS collection in private

FBarber, ECOBOOSTINST and Spartan100 like this.
  39. capnmike

capnmike Initiate (182) Dec 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Heading to River Forest Jewel later. Any place from the north side to there (suggested routes are 94 to 290, or I think Pulaski on down) with overpriced boxed variants remaining?

40. ArchieBunker

ArchieBunker Initiate (17) May 11, 2019 Illinois

That's pretty cool about the barrels for regular. I was planning on grabbing a couple more while grocery shopping today and that gives me something to keep an eye out for. The two regs I already have are both BT.