Goose island bourbon county stout coming to Aus

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Benjo87, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjo87

Benjo87 Initiate (124) Dec 27, 2014 Australia

Friday, 24th of November, Cutty Cellars in Crows Nest is one of 2 bottleshops (Not sure the other) launching the beer. No official price yet, but aplarently no more than $35 For a 500ml bottle. Max 2 per person. Ill be there to see of its worthy of the hype!

2. sinkas

sinkas Initiate (168) Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Trader

the bottles I have had were much better than the $35 BBA Bible belt I had recently

3. Benjo87

Bible belt??

4. sinkas

Trader

its a prairie bomb type variant, it would only appear to neckbeards etcits soupy

5. Gasc0igne

Gasc0igne Disciple (364) Oct 6, 2013 Australia
    Trader

First off I'm going to assume they're bringing in the standard variation (BCBS), which was great the few times I've had it. Then I question the pricing...unless it's actually seeing distribution (absolutely no idea if it is, but that pricing gives a hunch....), why are they not charging at least ~$60/bottle w/ a 1PP limit? I know many locals don't even think about Bourbon County because it's always been thought of as a "never gonna happen" type deal, so maybe they think it wouldn't sell at a gouge-ey price?

Is it the most recent release? Old stock a mate picked up and held on to? The whole thing is very odd.

Side-note: every BCBS I've had has been excellent, not the best in the world but (in my opinion) certainly worth $35 a bottle and better than anything I can think of off the top of my head that's floating around currently.

@Benjo87 If you could find out anything else that'd be pretty swell, not much to go off here.

6. Benjo87

7. danieelol

danieelol Savant (961) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

it was always a really consistent beer, I've had it a few times over the years in the old bottles. I dunno how reliable it has been in the new bottles though, I think I heard of some infection issues...

Gasc0igne likes this.
  8. sinkas

Trader

well Gascoign,
    you certainly are full of surprises,
    advocating for doubling the price....

Gasc0igne likes this.
  9. Gasc0igne

Trader

I love this reply so much :slight_smile:

10. Gasc0igne

Trader

My 2015 bottles (non-Coffee variants) were fine, but many who held on report they haven't held up as well. My 2015 Coffee was out-the-gate getting hints of turning so....

To the rest, please buy a bottle or 4, if you're a stout and/or bourbon lover it will live up to the hype that KBS didn't :wink: If we show crazy support we might get Coffee/other variants distro next go around too!

11. Benjo87

So they just announced it will be $29 for a 500ml bottle. 2017 version. Pretty decent. Cant wait to try it.

12. Gasc0igne

Trader

@Benjo87 A better price than almost all local "limited" stout releases, and certainly worth it. If you're a whisk(e)y lover or a big stout lover, you can't go wrong; if not a big bourbon guy, maybe just get one haha.

$29 is the lowest shops are willing/able to go (in 99.9% of cases). Distro is only to "specialty" shops across AUS. Some that're in the bigger hubs are getting pretty darn big allocations (and passing that through to the customer in the form of higher bottles per person limits.

Grab two at the minimum if y'all can, be good to see if the old infection issue tainted this batch (i.e. how it holds up).

13. Benjo87

Ill defintely grab 2. Big imperial stouts are my favourite style

Gasc0igne likes this.
  14. danieelol

wait so is this beer actually getting distro'd here or is this some sort of Barny's style cuckoldry?

Gasc0igne likes this.
  15. Benjo87

I think its a one off thing. Check out goose islands Facebook page. A few different stores Australia wide. 2 stores in sydney, 2 in Melbourne, 1 in Perth.

#15 Benjo87, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  16. sinkas

Trader

yep there is a launch at DTC on thuirs,
    at 9pm,
    Ill go along any perth crazies wanna meet up there?

17. Gasc0igne

Trader

Simply a market test. Distro to specialty stores (think just under 1000 bottles).

18. Gasc0igne

Trader

In addition, the price is far too reasonable to be a Barny's fuckaround jerkoff stunt. I'm hoping they didn't get allocated any, that would be some sweeeet justice.

19. danieelol

they didn't.

Gasc0igne likes this.
  20. Benjo87

Cutty cellars also has some Cantillon bottles for the first people that get to the store today. $45 for a 750ml bottle of Kriek bio. That same bottle is $55 for 375ml in Barney's...

Gasc0igne likes this.
  21. sinkas

Trader

went to the "launch" which was basically a free 100ml pour at 9pm WA time,
    they didn't have any bottles to sell,
    they said some are going to Vintage cellars in perth. and other shops
    the whole thing was a bit awkward to be honest, I think the 2 reps were ultra hungover or something
    the beer was nice enough,
    but pretty darn sweet I reckon ten fidy BA is better than this years

22. Benjo87

I just picked up 2 bottles this morning. Will report back tonight. I hope it' not too sweet. That was my fear when reading reviews.

23. Gasc0igne

Trader

If it's really fresh Kriek (i.e. less than a few months old), grab a bottle and drink immediately. I'm also glad to see you're seeing the hellhole that is Barny's.

24. Gasc0igne

Trader

It's so odd with all these "it's so sweet" reports; unless my memory really is going....all three years of BCBS I had certainly included sweet elements (as ya do), but were far from sugary or sweet enough to distract. You've had a few bottles before, haven't you sinkas? I hope they haven't fucked another batch.

Super keen to see what you think of it Benjo (please taste it cool and then really dig into it when it's just below room temp, especially with big stouts - things come out to play after it's warmed up a little). I sort of have a feeling people are having it ice cold and not getting anything but caramel sweetness from the bourbon, maybe dismissing it early.

Narkee likes this.
  25. Narkee

Narkee Initiate (142) Jun 20, 2013 Australia
    Trader

It's excellent as usual. Gives you an excellent balance of all the great flavours of a BBA stout. Nice barrel, vanilla and bourbon, roastiness, some sweetness. They all carry through working so well together. Nice bit of warmth at the end but I find that finishes it off nicely.

spicelab and Gasc0igne like this.
  26. Benjo87

I bought the Kriek. It's from April. I've never had a Cantillon beer before. Hopefully it's worth it.

27. Benjo87

Man, it's sooo flavoursome. So rich. It just goes on and on and on and on. Chocolate, vanilla, caramel. Alcohol well hidden. It is sweet, but not over the top at all.it could be a little thicker, but im not complaining. Probably the best imperial stout ive Had, that doesn' have flavours added in. Prarie Bomb is still number 1 for me, but that has heaps of flavours added in. This is defintely worthy of the hype.

Gasc0igne likes this.
  28. Benjo87

The mouthfeel is actually considerably thin. Feels even more thinner as it warms up, but the flavour is absolutely spot on.

29. sinkas

Trader

where did you get your narkee?

30. Narkee

Narkee Initiate (142) Jun 20, 2013 Australia
    Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.