Goose Island Bourbon County Stout question.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Friendlyfire, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,720) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana
    Society

I'd pay $25 for a 4-pack, give or take. Not much more - I still have a fair amount from last year and am far less concerned about the chase. Someday I'll get some varietals, but it is looking unlikely this year.

2. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Disciple (364) Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Trader

I paid $139.10 for a case for BCBS yesterday. Tax included.

3. buzzedup

buzzedup Devotee (454) Dec 21, 2006 Pennsylvania

$25 a 4 pack would be tops

4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,952) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I've been paying $22.50 a 4-pack. I'll go up a few bucks from that, but just may buy fewer of them :wink:.

5. hops202

hops202 Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2013 District of Columbia

Where in NC are you located?

6. Brutalism_X

Brutalism_X Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Maryland

Was this at the Liquor Locker? Those SOB's. I was working in the area a few months ago and stopped by to see what they had. A few singles of BCBS were at about $18.00.

I think the going rate in MD is about $25.00 a 4pk. I'd pay that.

7. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,113) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Oh, hell yes, it's definitely steep; I just tend to be willing to pay prices I otherwise wouldn't consider for my favorite beers. But I can't object to anyone turning down a $40 bomber, because that's a lot of cash for a few glasses of beer, especially that you basically have to drink in one sitting.

8. Himself

Himself Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

It's a hell of a lot better than collecting wine, which I do a bit of. A $40 bomber to age for a few years or a $300 Bordeaux....... it makes the beer choice that much easier.

BigRedDog and SeanBond like this.
  9. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Florida

Yeah it was Liquor Locker. BCBS was only $10 when I was there, but BCBW was $18 a bottle. And yeah, the Backyard Rye...they actually laughed at me when I offered them $60 for both. I guess someone went and bought them...

10. NewGlarusFan

NewGlarusFan Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 Illinois

Margin Matters

11. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (4,006) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

If I can get BCBS for $25/4-pack, how much should I buy? Up to a case? I have never had it before but I'd love to cellar some and also it could be great for trading. Thoughts?

12. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (344) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

$21.99 for regular and barleywine in western Massachusetts.

13. Techichi

Techichi Zealot (529) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

That is f'n ridiculous. Store owners like that should be outed.

14. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

I'd get at least two four packs for yourself if you can. If you are willing to pay, then get a case, but no more, you gotta share the wealth

MgoJohnStamos and Lucular like this.
  15. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (4,006) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

Yeah, I would feel bad about getting too much. I am surprised the store would allow me to get a full case...and also they're not supposed to be selling it until Friday, I thought. That's what the distributor told me anyhow and I know there are other stores in my area that are not releasing it until Friday.

16. MortalKombat14

MortalKombat14 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2012 Michigan

I think for the next 5 years my limit would be 30$ for 4 packs and bombers. For those saying they wouldn't pay anything over the low 20s. We're talking one of the greatest if not "the" greatest BA stouts ever made. The Coffee is rated as the third best active beer on this website, the regular at #19 and the barleywine at #38. This isn't even mentioning the retired ratings from the other variants which would put all of them in the top 40 with Rare and Prop 2013 being in the top 10.

SeanBond likes this.
  17. IPAFrEaK888

IPAFrEaK888 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2014 Virginia

18. GeorgiaBeerGuy

GeorgiaBeerGuy Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 Georgia

Hoping to get any on Friday... very limited in GA from what I've heard.

19. idkspencer

idkspencer Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Florida

I NEED HELP, Im just outside of Charleston WV and looking for somewhere nearby that will have these on sale . . . . closest place I've found is an hour across the Kentucky border
    ANY LOCALS KNOW WHERE?

20. idkspencer

idkspencer Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Florida

check every ABC around you - - last year original and barleywine were $19/4pk

21. leantom

leantom Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2011 Indiana

I'll be getting four of the variants this Friday. Can't wait.

However, I am concerned about the store that's selling it; the owners love to jack up prices when they can. Wouldn't be surprised if I was paying $30.00 for a four-pack.

22. end_27

end_27 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2012 Illinois

Last year I paid $24.99 for a 4pk of BCBS at a neighborhood shop, but it was my first time actually seeing it at a store out on the floor without having to request it from an employee. From what I've heard it's supposed to be about a $5 hike, as I'm sure it'll vary from shop to shop. And friends I have in NC for the people asking, I don't believe they're getting Vanilla. Don't quote me on that, but I believe GI that was least amount of barrels this year.

23. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Go to Max's Taphouse at 8AM on Friday to see for yourself. It is the earliest opening place that you can get BCBS, BCBW, and Coffee on tap at (outside of going around to stores on Thanksgiving). I was like you last year. I had planned on just getting BCBW, but then I kept stumbling across very well priced BCBS (up through January), so much that I bought 4 4-packs. However, prior to any purchases, I had snifter of both BCBS and BCBW at Max's. I wasn't a huge fan of either (too much alcohol burn and bourbon up front), but I preferred the BW. Now, I have a lot of BCBS that I'm sitting on. Better at 1 year, but still waiting for it to hit that sweet spot. Luckily, there is no concern of me going through my stock. I am quite good at not drinking beer.

24. Corn-fed

Corn-fed Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2014 Iowa

IA here, $20 last year, it will sell for $25 this year. We get 60% less allocation then we got last year so it will be even a bigger fight for it this year. Standard and Barley are the only ones coming to my area, we don't even get vanilla of coffee.

25. Corn-fed

You are better off waiting for sure. Had a '12 a few weeks back and it was straight fudge goodness with the bourbon flav at the end, but not the bite.

26. Corn-fed

As a seller I can tell you that the price mark up comes from them, we target the same gross profit from everything. Last year we sold for $20, this year has to be $25 for the same margin. (25%)

27. Corn-fed

$5 price jump from Goose this year, and they made WAY less then last year.

28. Beachrat

Beachrat Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2011 Florida

In florida and was told a $4 increase this year...paid 23.99 for the 4 packs and 24.99 for the vanilla rye and was happy to do so...delish.

29. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (814) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You might want to try out "multi-quote" :wink: Agree with you by the way that it's fudgy as hell right now, in a great way.

Corn-fed likes this.
  30. radams

radams Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2014 New Jersey

Considering the ABV, the rarity and the overall quality, this beer should be more expensive than it is. They could hike the price again next year and it's still good value.

31. CValle1975

CValle1975 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2011 Virginia

A friend of mine bought me a 4 pack at Triangle Wine in Southern Pines last year. I think it was $20 or so. Don't remember exactly.

I'm in Yorktown, VA now and hoping to score another 4 pack tomorrow. We'll see...

32. brywhite

brywhite Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 California

Here is was I received from Bevmo this AM. On "sale" for $26.99 (Save $3)
    [​IMG]

Smidge likes this.
  33. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Initiate (0) May 7, 2014 Florida

Found a disto post about what each store in Orlando will have. Picked some up yesterday for $24

34. Naptown25rs

Naptown25rs Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2009 Indiana

I would expect to pay in the $25-$27 range for 4 packs (depending on variant) and for bombers of vanilla, at least in parts of the Great Lakes region.

35. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Champion (802) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

They actually made more than last year but spread it over a larger area.

DrGonzoDDS likes this.
  36. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

Anyone know where I can find some in Charlotte, NC?? Thanks.

37. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Defender (629) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada
    Trader

At that price it isn't even worth it. Overrated beer to begin with and now getting priced through the roof. The hype train around this average beer is out of control.

38. Rodney221

Rodney221 Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2014 Virginia

When I called Total Wine in Norfolk they said they were only letting customers get 1 bottle of the Barleywine and Coffeestout. Because of that I assumed we were getting bombers but maybe it's just a really shitty situation and we can only get 1 12 oz bottle. Either way it sucks, I wanted a fourpack of each but at least I'll get something. :slight_smile:

39. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Champion (802) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

You're entitled to your opinion, but I've had a huge variety of much rarer bourbon barrel stouts, and BCBS is as good if not better than most.

I'll be the first to say that many hyped beers don't really live up to the legend, but BCBS would never be one that I'd put in that category.

40. Goatdavemac

Goatdavemac Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 North Carolina

I believe that you are wrong about this...2 stores I frequent in Asheville will have releases tomorrow...Brusin Ales and Appalachian Vintners

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.