Goose Island Halia Sour Peach Saison

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by xnicknj, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

Didn't see a thread for this yet...

(Chicago, IL) – Goose Island Beer Co. just shared its inaugural “Ask the Brewer” video. Here is what we learned about a few beers coming in the “next few years.”

Goose Island Halia is a sour peach saison aged in wine barrels with Brettanomyces Claussenii and fifty pounds of peaches per barrel. That one will be bottled but no details available on what markets yet.

A beer formerly known as ‘Grapefruit Sofie’ is another beer to come that has been aging in wine barrels. Goose Island hasn’t revealed the name yet.

A future Fulton and Wood Series release is a “straight Lambic” that is aging in wine barrels with various bugs: Pediococcus, Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces Bruxellensis. Apparently, it is over a year late.

Finally, now-Goose Island alum, Tom Korder, chips in that Goose Island does not use bourbon barrels more than once for Bourbon County Brand Stout.

We have good reason to think this was filmed at least a few months ago as Brian Taylor’s knowledge on the barrel program appears to have expired (you have to watch).

via http://beerpulse.com/2013/04/goose-island-halia-sour-peach-saison-coming-to-bottles-video-162/

2. FlssmrBrewAlum

FlssmrBrewAlum Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2009 Illinois

Halia = Mae.

Grapefruit Sofie = Sofie Paradisi (Grapefruit being the precedent in naming, Paradisi being the label approved).

3. hooliganlife

hooliganlife Meyvn (1,308) Apr 12, 2007 Missouri
    Trader

Ummmmmm, whoa

4. Bay01

Bay01 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

Also note that the guy talking about the BA barleywine mentions that it was indeed aged in Bourbon County barrels.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  5. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (2,845) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana

Need. New. Shorts.

1up, Cvescalante and mpayne5 like this.
  6. Jerriko

Jerriko Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2008 Washington

Good stuff.

7. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

Definitely read that as "Sour Patch saison" and thought the folks at GI were losing their minds.

Geuzedad, kirkse, Cvescalante and 2 others like this.
  8. dsal89

dsal89 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

Sour peach saison.....want.

Piddmeista likes this.
  9. averagjoe3

averagjoe3 Initiate (132) Jul 9, 2012 Connecticut

10. JulianC

JulianC Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois

Can't wait.

11. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Aspirant (233) Feb 26, 2011 Illinois

Goose Island is easily my favorite brewery. Grapefruit Sophie, sign me up. It feels so good to live in Chicago! For you Goose haters, thanks ahead of time for leaving these gems on the shelves.

12. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,595) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Want both the peach and grapefruit. Hope they make it to Colorado.

13. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Meyvn (1,306) Jan 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Cvescalante likes this.
  14. mpayne5

mpayne5 Devotee (427) Aug 18, 2011 Indiana

I need this.

Sofie Paradisi is awesome.

15. stawn

stawn Initiate (163) Sep 16, 2008 California
    Trader

Mae was fantastic

16. atomic

atomic Aspirant (234) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois

Is mae supposed to come back?

17. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

Mae is now known as Halia.

18. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Disciple (325) Dec 24, 2012 Texas

Thread: "Should BAs start staying away from Goose Island?"
    Me: Hell yeah! (LMAO!)
    .... Because I want all of this beer for myself! Halia sounds fantabulismical

Geuzedad and Janeinma like this.
  19. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

Absolutely bonkers. This is what happens when people who know what they're doing are given (essentially) unlimited resources.

time4lunch and BrettHead like this.
  20. crusian

crusian Crusader (788) May 14, 2010 Oregon

So, how big is a barrel? I read a barrel as an actual barrel, and 50 pounds per seems impossible. It would be bigger than the actual barrel.

21. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Initiate (172) Sep 21, 2012 Texas
    Trader

A wine or bourbon barrel is 59 gallons. If you took the stones out of the fruit you would have about five gallons of fruit and juice. If you left the fruit whole you would still fill less than ten gallons of the barrel but I suspect you would not be able to shove whole peaches through a barrel whole.

If they mean 50 pounds per barrel, as in a beer barrel, that is 31 gallons so you're still not talking about more space than 31 gallons of beer. I wouldn't be surprised if they racked the beer and peaches together in a conical fermentor to facilitate their process rather than trying to shove all the fruit in oak barrels.

beerindex likes this.
  22. JoshBrews

JoshBrews Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Missouri

Halia sounds incredible! Can't wait for that to hit the market...never got to try it as Mae. I hear Sofie Paradisi is set to come out (draft only, apparently) any time now. Back on May 9th, it was stated "in a couple weeks"...sooooo.

23. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

When they made Bramble Rye, the fruit went straight into the barrel -- 60lbs. of blackberries and 40lbs. of raspberries per bourbon barrel.

Source:

ETA: But I know a wild ale/saison is rather different than a huge imperial stout. My only point is that they have, in the past, added fruit straight to the barrel.

VonZipper likes this.
  24. smartassboiler

smartassboiler Meyvn (1,473) Apr 9, 2012 Illinois
    Society Trader

The people who call for craft beer drinkers to stay away from Goose Island are ridiculous. Given all the variations of Bourbon County they've come out with recently (Buffalo Trace, Speyside, Templeton Rye, Blackberry), the Sofie Paradisi, and now this, it's obvious to me that they continue to be very creative in their brewing. Plus they're bringing back some form of a King Henry-ish beer later this year. Isn't that what makes craft beer what it is? Creativity leading to innovation? It's also clear that GI isn't ditching their new brewing adventures for cranking out more 312 for the masses.

25. JoshBrews

The way I look at it:

Goose Island owned by Ab/InBev means that there is more capital at Goose Island's disposal, and by taking beers like 312 and Honker's and brewing them at the larger facilities (which is what I heard they are doing) will free up fermenter space for their better (IMO) creations such as the BC series and the Belgian brews (Sofie, etc.).

Just this humble beer nerd's opinion...

26. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (176) Jun 7, 2005 New York

Yeah, Paradisi has been out for close to a month now:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/72615

Seen it around NYC at a few places over the last few weeks.

dar482 likes this.
  27. JoshBrews

Yeah, probably should have specified in the STL area...and I think we started seeing it last week, but don't quote me on that one!! :slight_smile:

28. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (176) Jun 7, 2005 New York

Ah, gotcha. Soon, I'd imagine!

29. gkoz

gkoz Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Arizona

312 is brewed in new york

30. pschul4

pschul4 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois

This bothers me deeply.

31. gkoz

gkoz Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Arizona

if it frees up space for them to mess around on new things i dont see the problem really.

GimmeGumballHead likes this.
  32. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

They added cherries directly to the barrels for Cherry Rye . . . .

The reason the yield was soo low with Cherry Rye was PARTLY because they allowed Binny's employees to help out and somehow they did not do a great job of evenly dispersing the cherries, as a result some had to be tossed.
    This is why I had it in the bottle and could not taste the cherries hardly at all....I then had it on tap and it tasted like I was drinking cherry juice with a little bit of beer added. The overwhelming amount of cherry was not enjoyable.

But yea, I've talked to a couple of the Binny's employees who helped out...They said they were straight up just shoving cherries into the barrels, sounded like it was a pretty good time.

33. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Aspirant (260) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

34. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I wish there were some left on the shelves...I don't even think they make it as far as the shelf here in Minny. I actually wonder how much of this goes home with the employees of the stores.

35. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (2,845) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana

Giggity giggity goo!

Greenplastic615 and SpdKilz like this.
  36. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 New Hampshire

I have achieved erection.

I also read this as "Goose Island Hella sour Peach saison"

mtskier and JxExM like this.
  37. BobConner

BobConner Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 New York

The grapefruit Sophie was/is called Paradisi and was outstanding on draft. Its my understanding that they will be releasing all their tradtional sours/wilds, etc...together in October...with variations. Also, that King Henry is going to be released under the Bourbon County brand...same beer just aged in the same Bbls as BCS. We shall see....

38. fritts211

fritts211 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee

So that's the new bottle we've been hearing about. It's certainly nice looking, wonder what the pricing will be on this one.

39. RRtransvestification

RRtransvestification Aspirant (229) Dec 21, 2012 New York
    Trader

I'm sure this will make it to NY!

VonZipper likes this.
  40. VonZipper

VonZipper Devotee (421) Feb 9, 2011 New York
    Trader

Can't wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.