Goose Island Maple BCS?

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by shawnp, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mctizzz

mctizzz Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 California
    Deactivated

By the time reviews are in it will be too late. You can safely bet your left, right, and third nut that the reviews will be >4.5. I just hope this actually hits distro and isn't just a cool variant to bring to a couple mid-west festivals. Anyone in line yet?

2. mikecharley

mikecharley Devotee (402) Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Can't wait till they reuse those barrels... maple Black Magick anyone?

tommyguz, Zaphog and greg4579 like this.
  3. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (502) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Must be nice.

4. Crispy25

Crispy25 Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2012 California

But you're assessment is based purely on a couple of pictures and speculation. Or do you have an inside scoop on this?

5. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Awesome.....10 months away and we already have a BCBS speculation thread!

I think beer nerds are reading too much into this. Granted, it does appear GI is aging BCBS in Maple Bourbon barrels, BUT, this will most likely NOT be a new BCBS variant coming out on Black Friday, but more likely a limited release for the Fulton & Wood keg series or something. It would take an extremely massive amount of Maple Bourbon barrels to produce enough of this to bottle even a Proprietor's batch for 2015. Maple Bourbon barrels are pretty hard to come by.

6. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Champion (821) Oct 18, 2009 New York
    Trader

This would be awesome, I've always thought a maple version of BCS would be a great fit. Hoping this comes true!

7. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (961) Mar 17, 2009 Washington

Its everywhere along with last year's release still sitting on shelves at some stores in Boston.

8. Coorsy

Coorsy Defender (684) Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is me, letting you know, that i cannot find any bourbon county beer on a shelf within 45 minutes of me. Ive been able to find 2 bottles of regular, and thats it

9. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (407) Feb 19, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Yawn. I wonder what this will taste like.

10. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2013 Nevada

Don't talk about it....that way no one shows up to the release.

11. VDubDJ

VDubDJ Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2011 Arizona

I am happy to take the allotments from all the Goose Island/BCBS haters out there. Load me up. :grinning:

JavaNoire and evilcatfish like this.
  12. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (640) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Just one more variant that the GI Beer Lords will deem my part of the state unfit to sample. So close, yet so far.
    Thanks again!

JavaNoire and evilcatfish like this.
  13. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

[​IMG] check.

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  14. Siggy125

Siggy125 Disciple (354) Nov 10, 2006 California
    Trader

InBev IHOP

MattXT likes this.
  15. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

I assumed it would just be regular bourbon or rye barrels with maple syrup added, not the Blis barrels or anything similar.

16. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (502) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Annoying, ain't it?

17. PaBrewSki

PaBrewSki Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2013 Pennsylvania

I have some of Hill Farmsteads Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup. That stuff is awesome.

MattXT likes this.
  18. PaBrewSki

19. SlovenianMight

SlovenianMight Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2013 Ohio

What really blows is that those barrels came from Ohio, 20 minutes south in chagrin falls, and we won't see that beer in Ohio. Stupid darn ABV laws.

20. PaBrewSki

Interesting information.

When Goose brews the rye barrel BCBS variants they actually add some rye to the malt bill of the base beer. It would be awesome if they got maple in there before in went into the bourbon/maple barrels and then did a little maple blending before the bottle. It seems like the flavor profile of the variations is always pretty robust in terms of the extra ingredients. I can't imagine they would skimp out on maple. Fingers crossed.

21. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

what do you mean? The tweet is MAPLE INNOVATION #BCS. It may be speculation as to what they are doing with it, but I still don't think I'm wrong to say that using maple syrup in beer is not an innovation of any sort.

22. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

#gooseislandinnovation

23. ThrewRedButter

ThrewRedButter Crusader (797) Aug 29, 2012 Massachusetts

...aaaaaannnnndddd people in Chicago are already demanding 1:4 KBBS, DBH, Ann, and BA Abrax

kylelenk likes this.
  24. primrose54

primrose54 Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2009 Ohio

After having Jackie O's Black Maple I am excited to try this beer! (if I am lucky enough!)

25. Crispy25

Sure, using maple syrup in beer is not innovative. But you, like everyone else outside of that brewery, don't know what they have planned. Do you really think Goose Island would tout themselves as innovative because they're using Maple syrup? Or they plan to age in maple syrup barrels? They've been around the block a few times and deserve a little more credit than that. IMO

SeanBond and PaBrewSki like this.
  26. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (555) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

Canadian County Breakfast Stout, just to stick it to Founders :wink:

27. aantonio

aantonio Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2014 New York

Nice. I can't wait!

28. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

I forsee the hype will be strong with this one

29. tkdchampxi

You're right. I don't know what they have planned.

But do I think Goose Island would tout themselves as innovative because they are using Maple Syrup? Yes. Yes, I do.

30. WreckedPalate

WreckedPalate Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Wisconsin

If goose makes it, I could care less, just a bunch of sell outs if you ask me. They're making fine products, sure, but I can't stand by a product owned by Busch.

31. Bdubbsyall

Bdubbsyall Initiate (67) Aug 13, 2014 Illinois

I think they are having too much success with the coconut in the Prop to steer away from that. I heard that 2014 was the last year that they would do Vanilla since its too much of a pain in the ass..perhaps the Maple replaces that in bombers this year? Either way, I'll be hunting this unicorn down.

VDubDJ likes this.
  32. Crispy25

I don't think you do. You're just trying to not look silly. :sunglasses:

33. tkdchampxi

Well, Goose Island is heavily influenced/ controlled by AB-InBev, who is the same group responsible for Shock Top, after all. I happen to recall Shock Top's head brewmaster once boasting that they've probably brewed with everything:

"If you can ferment it, or throw it in a kettle, we've probably brewed it."
    - Our incredible mad scientist of a brewmaster, Jill Vaughn.
    April 7, 2014

34. Crispy25

Now you're reaching.

35. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (619) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Everybody needs to chill. There has been no indication (to my knowledge) that this will even be bottled, or see any sort of distribution. Would it be tasty? No doubt, but lets not get all crazy over a picture. (then again, this is BA and nobody will listen)

36. Respirologist

Respirologist Initiate (175) Feb 26, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I bet Maple will be the next variant and here is why. Vanilla took a month or two with Vanilla beans added? They are likely testing out how BCBS Maple will taste and experimenting with how they want it to taste. Gives them plenty of time to change recipe etc.

37. PaBrewSki

Not sure what you mean by a month or two. Most of the lineup spends the better part of a year in barrels. I believe the Vanilla was mostly blended in before bottling and not actually in the barrels anyway.

38. Respirologist

Trader

BCS spends idk how long 6-12 months? In Barrels and whatever is added is added towards the end. For example I've seen pics of the vanilla beans actually added to the barrel and inside the barrel but the vanilla wasn't added towards the end of barrel aging, like a month or two before bottling. So vanilla is actually added to the barrel so it's possible they could add maple to the barrels before bottling.

39. Respirologist

Trader

also:
    Vanilla Rye
    • Rye instead of bourbon barrels and rye spice was added to the mash so the recipe itself is unique.
    • 70/30 Madagascar and Mexican vanilla split. Mexican more flavors and Madagascan more aromatics.
    • Hand slice every vanilla bean before adding to the barrel. 8 Brewers 8 hours to 2 pounds . 470 pounds total were used. Do the math but…
    • A buffalo chopper was used to save time.
    • Rye barrels had vanilla for 2-3 months after normal fermentation. Vanilla wasn’t ready so holding tank got 70 more pounds of vanilla. 8-14 hours of recirculating to finish the beer up on schedule.
    • Yields of 2014 higher than 2010 vanilla. Vanilla did still have some challenges with filtering, circulation and dumping of barrels.

40. uuudar

uuudar Initiate (100) Oct 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

*calls something other breweries have done for years "innovation"*

lmao

BoneyardBrewer and tkdchampxi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.