Grand Rapids in April.

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ThirstT, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThirstT

ThirstT Initiate (0) May 5, 2012 Illinois

Looking to be in the Grand Rapids area in early April. I have no idea on what availability is like on beers like Perrin No Rules or some of the oddside releases (Hazel/hipster...) . Would anyone know if it's worth putting in efforts to research getting these types of beers or if they are brewery only releases that have already been sold for the year etc?

2. core42

core42 Zealot (556) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

No chance, neither one sees distro but I would look to set up some IP trades if you are interested in finding them

3. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

I hear RUMORS of No Rules being released again sometime in April, but nothing official from Perrin yet on that so don't hold your breath. Hazel's and Hipster will need to be traded for as they both sold out at OddSide the day of release. If you've got some good local limited releases to trade you'll have no problem getting some. Good luck and enjoy the trip!

4. ThirstT

Thanks folks. It's good to know so that I don't get my hopes up. I'll just hope for some good taps being available at some of the breweries then. Maybe I'll bring some local beers up to try to swap a little. I was hoping to avoid having to scheduling trades in a city that I've never been, but it is a good way to meet good people anyways.

5. Robdiesel21

Robdiesel21 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan

@TravisT did a similar trip last fall and used insight from the locals, maybe he can forward you to his thread. Good luck! and enjoy some of the smaller places as well as the large ones!

6. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

Echoing the others, most of your list would have to be traded for (Unless something was rereleased, and at that point nopne of us really know what could be).

Set up a few IP trades for sure. Most BAs would be happy to meet you at a brewery :slight_smile: Last time I went to Chicago I sent up an IP trade and it was so easy and we both got something we couldn't otherwise obtain.

Another option is to find a GR person now, and set up kind of a futures trade with them. List what kind of beers you'd want, have them do the same, and pick up your regional releases to match. We have some breweries like Shorts (even though they will be out of state soon) that release a new beer pretty much every week, and they disappear fast, so the only way would be to have someone snagging them for you.

ThirstT likes this.
  7. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

It can't hurt to see what Odd Side has on tap while you are here. While its 40 minutes, or so, from Grand Rapids they may have some of their BBA stuff on tap, and have a crowler machine.

core42 likes this.
  8. ThirstT

40 minutes, that's a surprise. I'll have to plan differently than originally expected. I'm glad for all of this feedback. Thanks again all!

9. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

I'd definitely put up an IP trade like a few others have suggested; quite a few BA's in West Michigan who have all of the beers you mentioned (and a willingness to trade them for some IL goodies). The drive usually takes around 40 minutes due to Spring Lake / Grand Haven speed limits (see: slow as shit).

I'd definitely recommend stopping in to Odd Side Ales, as they seem to always have some great options available on draft. Unlike a lot of breweries that refuse specialty (BA beers) crowler/growler fills, Odd Side Ales will fill just about anything that you see on the menu (I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule). Not only that, but it's a pretty laid back atmosphere.

10. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

THIS is what makes me so excited to hit them up this Summer. Crowlers for the beach and bike are a no brainer.

bassfishingguy likes this.
  11. raymo55

raymo55 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2011 Michigan

Many locals have hoarded those particular beers (No Rule, Hipster, Hazels)...so setting up a trade with a local should be fairly easy

12. Crazykole5

Crazykole5 Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Maryland

Go during Founders' Black Party. You're welcome. You'll get to drink some of the best beers Founders kicks out all year and are not seen anywhere else. Best party of the year.

13. ThirstT

I would very much like to attend the Black Party, but my schedule dictates otherwise. I also have a follow question. What was the original price and limits on hipster or hazel?

14. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

$120 for a case of Hazels, 5 case limit. No limit on Hipster and $100/case. Both sold out day of release (with limits like that are you surprised?)
    Hazel's was the real shit show where a lot of people left empty handed (like the back half the line). Check out the Hazel's Nuts release thread for more. Also, bummer on missing the Black Party. Always great beer to be had and I'm certain that they'll have CBS on tap for it.

Robdiesel21 likes this.
  15. Robdiesel21

Robdiesel21 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan

hipster no limts and $100 a case, and hazels had a 5 case limit at $120 a case

16. Crazykole5

They were $5 and $6 a bottles though unless you bought in bulk, just FYI. It is also OTD pricing.

17. chitowntink

chitowntink Initiate (106) Jun 22, 2015 Illinois

Have they posted a date yet for the black party?

18. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Zealot (505) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

April 16

chitowntink likes this.
  19. TravisT

TravisT Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Alabama

@Robdiesel21 thanks for looping me in. My wife and I came up in August. Here is a link to the thread with some good advice. It was an incredible trip.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/michigan-beer-trip.339128/#post-4158984

ThirstT and Robdiesel21 like this.
  20. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,653) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

A little thread-bump here, as I'm going to be spending ... quite possibly more time in Grand Rapids over the next month (April) than I have in my entire life. I'm originally from Kalamazoo, although I've only been back for holidays/visits, so it's not like I'm entirely unfamiliar with things. However, in the past I've pretty much stuck exclusively with visits to Founders. Hopefully this trip I'll be branching out and trying new and familiar places around town. Taking all suggestions with an open mind, because that's the spirit of things. Salud!

21. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,560) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

After Founders, only two other breweries tend to stand out from the others in town for their beers, Brewery Vivant and Perrin. I think Grand Rapids Brewing is close to that stand-out group. All the rest of the breweries have good beer so I won't say anything negative about them, other than Schmohz beers have never impressed me when I tried them (but I have not had anything from them for a few years now).

I haven't been to Kitzingen Brewing in Wyoming yet, but they are on the top of my list to visit the next time i'm in town.

Robdiesel21 likes this.
  22. Crazykole5

^This. Depending on how far you're willing to drive. The trip out to Odd Side Ales, Unruly, and Pigeon Hill is worth it as well. I would argue that Pike 51 is definitely worth a visit, and while you are there, White Flame is only a couple of blocks away. They're also on the way out to the lake shore. Cedar Springs is also worth checking out - they're newer and finding their place, but their German inspired beers are well done...the food is also fantastic (get the sprouts).

23. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

You may want to reconsider trading for 2015 Hipster or Hazels Nuts (B1) as some of the "flavors may have changed" (according to the brewery). Or if you ask anyone that has tried them recently, they may well tell you that some of them are infected.

ThirstT likes this.
  24. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,900) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

They need to dial the German beers in. My Dunkel looked and tasted like a Mätzen. The Oktoberfest/Mätzen the wife ordered had banana notes. Banana I that style is a serious flaw. Sorry, that is what we experienced. The Pretzel was good!

25. rings

rings Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Michigan

"Märzen" (no 't') is amber and a separate year-round beer than the Dunkel, which is a winter seasonal and dark red.

If you found "banana," wife may have had the Original Weissbier, which is also amber colored and has expected estery notes, but never noted esters/fruits/bananas in the actual Märzen, which has always been clean and caramel-ly IME.

Rockford & Cellar also worth the drive in the northern area, although neither serves food yet.

26. hopfenunmaltz

Society

My spelling in Deutsch is not the best, but it looks like either I spelled it wrong both times fat fingering the t next to the r.

The wife ordered a Märzen. I ordered a Dunkel. Either they served us both the wrong beers, or they need to dial those in. If it was the Weißbier where were the wheat and clove notes? The Dunkel I had was dark red, but lacked the character of Dunkels (dark bready character, high in the Maillard reactions that give that flavor and aroma). I just didn't hit the flavor and aroma of the ones I drank a lot of in Franconia, the Oberpfalz, and Niederbayern last Nov. and December.

Been to both Rockford and Celler.

27. hopfenunmaltz

Society

I will say the Breze was prety good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.