1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Grape soda taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JJSmash, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJSmash

JJSmash Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2011 Connecticut

About a year or so ago I had gone to the Redhook Brewery in N.H. and it seemed to me that any beer I tried seemed to have this grape soda taste to it. I thought maybe it was just me ,but a few days ago I had Harpoon I.P.A. on tap and it too had this grape soda taste. Has anyone else had this experience or is it just me?

2. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

It's pretty common to describe certain yeast/malt flavors in certain BSDAs as grape soda-like.

3. Reagan1984

Reagan1984 Poo-Bah (2,091) May 15, 2008 Massachusetts

Bitburger = Grape..

4. Dools9

Dools9 Zealot (546) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Molson, lotsa grape soda

5. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,435) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

I'm having a Le Merle now, I pick up on some sour grape..but grape soda...hmmmm. Must buy some grape soda to taste :wink:

6. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,773) Mar 18, 2010 California

To me a lot of beers have a distinct white grape juice flavor in them. They seem to be mainly certain pilsener/lager beers.

7. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

I think you just fell pretty close to the tree. My first guess (and I know what the OP's referring to) was the yeast profile.

8. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Disciple (379) Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock. And it's delicious.

4balance likes this.
  9. FriarTuckInLuck

FriarTuckInLuck Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2011 Arizona

Last beer I tasted that had white grape flavors was a Flying Dog In Heat Wheat.

10. TripleDigitIBUs

TripleDigitIBUs Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2011 California

I sometimes find that flavor in older strong dark Belgian ales. As others have already said, it probably has to do with the yeast.

11. mfrigon

mfrigon Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 New Hampshire

Redhook's beers have this distinct similar taste/flavor, maybe the yeast, which is typical of a lot of breweries so maybe you just don't like Redhook's flavor. Side note: Redhook beers seem to give massive hangovers for what ever reason.

12. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (485) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

This was on an episode of "House" a while back. It's an early indicator of a rare, but fatal disease. Sorry.

Rekrule and TheBoog013 like this.
  13. tolar111

tolar111 Disciple (356) Aug 17, 2008 New York

This is odd, occasionally on my way to my favorite Biergarten in Albany, NY I'll stop at the place around the corner that features super friendly barmaids. While there I'll drink Bud and or Molson. Typically the first beer at the Biergarten will have a grape soda taste. I always figured this was just God's way of punishing me for drinking crappy beer.

14. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

There is one beer, which I cannot recall at the moment, that has a similar quality: it reminds me of a dry, powdery grape flavor, sort of what I remember grape Now-And-Laters to taste like, and is slightly tactile.

15. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (430) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

Old Stock.

16. dangelop

dangelop Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2006 New York

st. bernardus every single time

17. kleo

kleo Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2009 Massachusetts

heady Topper when I cut it with Kool-aid to de hop it a bit.

18. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

Odell Shenanigans reminded me of strawberry soda.

19. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

unacceptable.

20. kleo

kleo Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2009 Massachusetts

i KNOW. i SHOULD USE COUNTRY TIME LEMONADE AND MAKE A SHANDY BUT Koolaid is just more affordable.

21. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

i havent had grape soda in such a long time that i don't even have a clue what it tastes like

22. Puttenham

Puttenham Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2008 Massachusetts

I bought a six pack of Shipyard Prelude last winter and all I could taste was Fanta Grape soda. Ick. So, you are not alone.

I find this flavor from time to time in some ales. I call it "The Grape of Death" and I hate it. One could also call it "Barney." A random bottle will have that awful Purple Feeling. Then the next batch will be okay. Very hit or miss. That whole Prelude six pack was a complete loss though.

Maybe Redhook and Shipyard are getting their water shipped in from the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant?

My best guess is some wacky esters are to blame. Poorly handled yeast mayhaps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.