News Great American Beer Festival (GABF) 2013 Winners

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmich176

hmich176 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2013 Pennsylvania

Should there be a 9 just because there were 89? Giving one a higher mark than it deserves challenges the validity of the award.

2. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,113) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Love this shirt, wore it to the hop farm last night as we finalized some really wonderful things, and got some great compliments for it, though I didn't realize that Boundary Bay had won. Peekskill and Captain Lawrence taking medals was discussed, though.

Speaking of Santa, I heard he may be accompanying our three man brew team to Peekskill today to help us celebrate, but that is just a rumor.:)

beertunes likes this.
  3. smakawhat

smakawhat Poo-Bah (5,838) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

Woah, Port City Brewing in Alexandria VA really cleaned up a bit..

ZachKelly and e30todamax like this.
  4. plaid75

plaid75 Poo-Bah (3,784) Jan 13, 2005 New York
    Beer Trader

Natty Ice, Old Style, Ranier? Cream Ale? The value of a GABF Gold just took a hit in my opinion. I'll chuckle to myself from now on when I see a brewer advertise a GABF medal.

Hendrick24 and UncleJimbo like this.
  5. kudos

kudos Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2013 Florida

Heh, I had Cigar City poblano when it was still in the tanks. I said then that it was something special. Great beer.

LoganStegman likes this.
  6. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,456) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Too much variation and rushed batches. There's (obviously) something there, but each and every time I get a sampler at least 2 of the 6 beers are butter. Hopefully this medal is a sign they're pointed in the right direction and the days of diacetyl are slipping into the past!

7. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

I haven't scrolled through the other comments, but I would think that if no gold was awarded, perhaps they felt that though the submissions were good, nothing presented warranted a gold medal. Silver, yes. Bronze, yes. Gold, not this year.

That might be the same reasoning for a Gold and Silver presentation and the Bronze is missing. Perhaps there is a big gap between the scoring for Silver and whatever is next is too broad to warrant a Bronze medal. I haven't noticed a Gold and Bronze with the Silver missing, but I suppose that could happen.

I am just going on logic.

8. ontherocks

Hmmm. In Category 69, Terrapin Brewing Co., Athens, GA has a Maggie's Farmhouse Ale

The Bronze was awarded to Maggie's Farmhouse Ale, Crossroads Brewing, Athens, NY. Is this some sort of type or...? Just curious.

9. Bogforce

Bogforce Disciple (332) Sep 2, 2010 Ohio

I have been there over 3 times and every beer I have seems to be great. If process is the problem then they may have figured it out.

10. ontherocks

"typo"... I noticed that Crossroads has a Maggie's Farm Ale,...

11. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,525) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

That one absolutely blew my mind. Canoe Paddler...a Kölsch? Holy bonkers.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  12. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,833) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

I ran into similar situations judging at the local level, but this is the big gig -- don't you think they'd have some judges with better experience?

Saying with full respect to the fact that I don't know which beers were in the category or who was judging, but I tried the Canoe Paddler with great expectations this year and was completely underwhelmed.

Hendrick24 likes this.
  13. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,525) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

To correct myself, I meant to add any of the following adjectives or qualifiers to "Kölsch": good; authentic; gold medal award winning. They call it a Kölsch, so I'm not disputing the category entirely; just whether or not it's any good.

14. herrburgess

herrburgess Savant (999) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

I think it's a bit of a double-edged sword. In Eric Warner's Koelsch, he talks about not being able to find *any* entrants in such competitions that are truly deserving of medals.

Looks like you need to have semi-clueless judges if you want medals; and if you have fully-informed judges you might end with no beers receiving medals!

15. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (705) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Natty Ice. Yup, these awards mean nothing.

16. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (3,375) Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

And they don't show the other beers that competed so there is no way to know why 3 American Adjunct Lagers won as American-style Cream Ales. Ales.

Hendrick24, alexipa and hoppytobehere like this.
  17. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,223) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

The GABF is judged by industry professionals. Brewers, owners, writers and such (BJCP not worth much). You would think there would be authentic Koelsch and Alt in every breweries portfolio, no?

18. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Zealot (506) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Happy to see Troegs adding a few more medals, including a well deserved Gold for Troegenator.

regularjohn, hmich176 and Doogflaggat like this.
  19. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,030) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Nice to see Grimm Brothers win bronze for their Fearless Youth. Great beer and maybe the beer most responsible for opening me back up to lager styled beers.

20. steveh

Every? Doubtful in the USA. But of course the ones that are out there also have to be entered -- I've talked with a lot of brewers who just don't want to take the time and expense to get their beer to Denver. They're happier pleasing their local customers.

rlcoffey likes this.
  21. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,030) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Why would you think this? Just curious because I never would have thought that.

Here in America, I would be more expecting of every brewery having an IPA, a stout, maybe a wheat beer. But an alt and kolsch? I would expect a place not to have either style before expecting them to have them.

rlcoffey and westcoastbeerlvr like this.
  22. hopfenunmaltz

Yes, the GABF is up to the Brewer and owner to decide if it is worth the time and $ to enter.

My point on the Koelsch Alt was that there are few brewed in the US, and even fewer great ones. How many Brewers make it to Germany? Some studied there, some may go sometimes for professional reasons. Many I know would love to go, but the cost is prohibitive for them.

23. hopfenunmaltz

It was an obtuse reference to having all judges being expert and good judges of Koelsch.

Hey, there are many that think Alt should be all Munich base malt. Some are, many are not.

I also think the judges know IPA, Stout, Sours and whatever else they are making in their breweries. Agreed on that.

24. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Meyvn (1,471) Aug 14, 2005 Colorado

Was excited to see City Star (Berthoud CO) come away with two medals. They are really doing a great job.

25. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 New York

First off major props to FIRESTONE WALKER
    2nd way to go Jack's Abby
    3rd and 4th Fat Heads and Troegs !!

regularjohn and hmich176 like this.
  26. Kua808

Kua808 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2013 California

I have never had Hop Juju from Fat Heads, but Permanent Funeral is the best damn IIPA I have ever had.

ISO Hop Juju

srs.

27. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,113) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Not hardly.l Folks just starting to realize the talent we have here, feel kinda blessed by it lately. Here is how I have it.

Gold: Liopard Oir Farmhouse Saison, Lavery Brewing Co., Erie, PA
    Silver: Urban Farmhouse Ale, The Commons Brewery, Portland, OR
    Bronze: Maggie’s Farmhouse Ale, Crossroads Brewing Co., Athens, NY

Hutch at Crossroads is doing some phenomenal stuff that is just kinda solid excellent and almost taken for granted round here. Haven't had Maggie's Farm yet, now I really can't wait. But if it's Hutch's beer they serve at Maggie's Farm, I bet Dylan would change his mind;)

MSandahl23 likes this.
  28. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Virginia

Virginia had a nice year! Devil's Backbone took best small Brewery for the 2nd straight year! Good time to be within an hour or two to just about all of the VA Breweries.

ncaudle likes this.
  29. steveh

While I understand your point, I don't believe brewers (or judges) necessarily need to travel to Köln in order to understand how a good Kölsch ought to taste. I think it all boils down to Scott's answer, via Eric Warner, that the entrants into the category just didn't stack up.

Kind of dilutes any big significance to garnering a GABF award.

hopfenunmaltz and herrburgess like this.
  30. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,869) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

It makes a great deal of sense if you think about it from a slightly different perspective. All it takes to enter this competition is that you put down your money and provide your beer. In otherwords, unlike, say the Olympics, there is no prior competition or pre-selection to establish the worth of an entrant except the willingness to pay a fee and enter (thereby favoring the folks with lots of money and the ability to "buy" a medal). Thus it is quite possible that there could be only three entries, each of them quite poor. That would make the gold medal in a competitive category with several high quality entries less meaningful than the gold in a 3 entry category.

So the judges have some established standards that beer is intended to meet.
    1) Is it above threshold?
    2) Is it worth a gold, medal?
    3) Is it worth a silver medal?
    4) Is it worth a bronze medal?
    5) Are there two entries worth a gold medal? If so which one will get it and which will get the silver.

This is actually a quite common problem in judging entries in a wide vareity of competitions ranging from pie baking contests at State Fairs, on up to the GABF.

TongoRad and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  31. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,869) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Remember you want to prevent someone with money from being able to just "buy" a medal. So yes, a general rule of the competition is that to get a medal an entry has to be above a certain quality/threshold level before it can qualify for a medal. Giving medals just for the sake of giving medals would dilute the value of medals for others.

32. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

Don't know. I can't seem to find a complete list of entrants. But it does say that there were 37 entries. I'm gonna go ahead and bet that at least one of those was a better Cream Ale than Natty Ice

UncleJimbo likes this.
  33. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

never heard of half them breweries, lol

djl9701 likes this.
  34. TDavEdMac

TDavEdMac Initiate (94) May 6, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Yeah you guys have made good points and it's been discussed. The awarding criteria can be found here:

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/about-the-beer-competition/

Here's the criteria for awarding a silver:

Silver An excellent beer that may vary slightly from style parameters while maintaining close adherence to the style and displaying excellent taste, aroma and appearance.

Category 54 (Red ales) did not award a silver, and there were 89 entries. So, again, my point is that it's hard to believe that, out of 89 entries of Red Ales, not 4 entries of some random style, there wasn't one that was "An excellent beer that may vary slightly from style parameters while maintaining close adherence to the style and displaying excellent taste, aroma and appearance." But obviously they didn't find one that was excellent, and the one that got bronze wasn't "excellent" but it was "a fine example" which is the criteria for a bronze. I'm not saying to dilute the validity of the judging process whatsoever. Point being the breweries need to step up their game for reds and imperial reds I guess cause apparently 98% of them aren't excellent and there's a couple medals waiting for a good home.

35. raveskdr

raveskdr Disciple (374) Oct 10, 2009 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Devils Backbone is continuing to kick ass and take names. This is 3 UNREAL runs at GABF in the last 4 years. Steve, Jason and Hayes are amazing people and deserve every award they get. And clearly, they get a lot ;-)

NOW CAN METRO BERLINER, DAMNIT! :D

Rhettroactive, ncaudle and ZachKelly like this.
  36. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (713) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Very excited for Smartmouth! I was there yesterday with our gang of misfits for our monthly tasting. I've enjoyed their Notch 9 since they started. To win bronze, less than a year in business, is saying something. Congrats!

Ysgard and ZachKelly like this.
  37. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,181) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Those guys did rack up a pretty amazing number of medals. Clearly they're doing something very, very right over there.

ncaudle and ZachKelly like this.
  38. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Devotee (497) Mar 13, 2011 Illinois
    Subscriber

If we can bring Perennial across the Mississippi River, then moving New Glarus and 3Floyds a handful of miles across couple of mere dotted (state) lines on a map ought to be a snap ...and Illinois just became the center of the beer universe!

JoEBoBpr likes this.
  39. DrunkethWizard

DrunkethWizard Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

Natty Ice Cream Ale 4 Lyfe! :cool:

40. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (246) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

That makes me seriously question the sanity and taste of the judges...

SalukiAlum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe