Great Beer available in Ohio

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by DanglerDave16, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanglerDave16

DanglerDave16 Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2017 Pennsylvania

i have a work trip today to upper east side of Ohio near Lake Erie - I live on east coast north DE-
    I want to pick up some great beer not available out my way.
    Any suggestions?
    First thing on my list is 3 Floyds!
    What else should I look for?
    Thanks in advance
    Cheers!

2. pest

pest Disciple (372) Sep 2, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Brew kettle white rajah
    Columbus IPA / Bodhi
    Jackie O's mystic mama, any stouts or BA wares
    Mad tree high series (citra, galaxy, etc)
    Willoughby peanut butter porter

Wolfs ridge and hoof Hearted do good stuff but I don't think you'll find any up there.

Looks like revolution, crooked stave, and Perrin would be out of your distro.

3. JulianC

JulianC Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois

Read the Ohio thread below. You'll get all the tips on new things you should want.

4. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (479) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

If Perrin is out of your distro, pick up some 17 No Rules. I hear it sits on shelves in Ohio.

djtothemoney likes this.
  5. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

Can confirm, shelfie here.

meanmutt and Elkevjoe like this.
  6. Gibspeed

Gibspeed Initiate (95) Feb 9, 2017 Ohio

What city are you staying in and for how long?

7. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

Should be easy to find Floyds... been collecting dust around town again. Can confirm No Rules is a shelf sitter, too.

Head to Willoughby for Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter.

Elkevjoe likes this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,728) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It's been a long time since I've traveled in that area, but NE Ohio near Lake Erie makes me think there will not be any good stores to answer your needs. If you are driving, then stops along your intended route may be advisable. A little more info about where you'll be might get you better recommendations.

9. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio

Where? I haven't seen any for 17 my way in the Toledo area? I have seen 16 still laying around, but not any of the 17 bowling ball.

10. Gibspeed

For everyone touting No Rules, yes it's good and yes it's still on shelves... BUT personally I would grab the Nicklebrook BA stouts shelf turding. As far as i know they're only distro outside of Canada is Ohio, Michigan and maybe PA? And they are world class BA Stouts.

OP if you're gonna be somewhere near Mentor/Willoughby are, there's some good bottle shops out that way that will net you a lot of great stuff.

Keffa likes this.
  11. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

They aren't the only Canadian brewery turding it up. The Cameron Where The Buffalo Roam is a fantastic BA barleywine, and is less than 5 bucks for a pint can.

Gibspeed likes this.
  12. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,276) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

What beers are you referring to? I've only had one nickelbrook beer and it was such an abomination that I've look right past every one I've seen sitting on shelves since.

But your post made me pull up their beer ratings just now to see what potential gems I may have been overlooking... but they're mostly rated poor to mediocre at best.

RyanMcFly1985 and djtothemoney like this.
  13. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

For the price they charge for their BA offerings, I disagree with their ratings. I think a lot of the hype around them is the fact that there isn't much in Canada that can compete. Very mediocre in my opinion.

14. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,276) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Agreed. They're rated poor but cost a lot.

djtothemoney likes this.
  15. Gibspeed

Kentucky Bastard, Cafe del Bastardo specifically. 14% BA stouts at $14-16 for a 750ml, which is a great value.

16. ChittyChambers

ChittyChambers Aspirant (277) Jan 12, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

I'll be in Akron this weekend traveling from Baltimore, any good shops to hit up to grab similar beers as the OP?

Gibspeed likes this.
  17. Gibspeed

Mustard Seed Market in Highland Square for a bottle shop then R Shea and Hoppin Frog for great taprooms!

ChittyChambers and ODYSEYY like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.