Great IPAs in Jacksonville

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Krice99, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krice99

Krice99 Initiate (132) Nov 1, 2014 Illinois

I will be headed to Jacksonville in a week and I would like to try something local. Please let me know what to look for.

2. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Aspirant (238) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Not my corner of the state so I'm sure I'm missing some but I dig Intuition's I-10 IPA and Aardwolf's Nonchalant Session IPA was a gem for me at the recent Florida Brewers Guild Fest. Cheers!

ufmj likes this.
  3. HopDawg03

HopDawg03 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2015 Georgia

I'm a ways away as well and sure the Jax locals will be of more help, but from my trips there I've had good ipas at Aardwolf and Intuition. Also really like double overhead dipa at green room. Pablo beach pale ale would be my post surf/skate sesh beer if I lived there.

4. ryhouse

ryhouse Initiate (189) Oct 28, 2010 Florida
    Trader

These guys named a couple of the local beers that I probably drink the most (I-10 & Nonchalant). Here's what I'd look for as far as local PA/IPA/IIPAs.

Intuition Ale Works - I-10 IPA
    Aardwolf Brewing - Nonchalant (they have a few other IPAs that are good just depends what's on tap)
    Engine 15 Brewing - Double Drop, Three Seas
    Green Room Brewing - Double Overhead IIPA, Pablo Beach Pale Ale
    Veterans United Brewing - Hop Banshee, Imperial Grunch IIPA

The I-10, Hop Banshee & Pablo Beach are available in cans at most grocery stores if you're looking for stuff to take home. The rest you should be able to find on tap around town or go straight to the source.

5. solo103

solo103 Disciple (330) Apr 8, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Definitely make the trip to Aardwolf. Nonchalant is a great beer and Im pretty sure they also have How Heavy This Hop or Insert Hop Pun Here on wich are both really good

6. BurningSpear

BurningSpear Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Florida

How Heavy This Hop hasn't been on tap in a good while. They do, however, have Hop Up The Wolves IIPA on right now and it's just lovely.

7. beer30jax

beer30jax Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2012 Florida

Heads up, Intuition changed the way they dry hopped I-10 starting with any can dated March 1st. They started using a hop gun and it does taste more dry hopped, in my opinion. Which is a good thing.

danetaylor likes this.
  8. solo103

Trader

thanks for clearing that up. Guess it was Insert Hop Pun Here I seen last night. Hop Up The Wolves is a awesome beer as well. I think Aardwolf is producing the best beer in Jacksonville right now.

9. CRon_T

CRon_T Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2014 Florida

All the above info is true and I would just add that if you are getting cans to go, make sure to check the date on the bottom. I've seen some stale IPA's sitting around the stores.

10. flag8r

flag8r Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Florida

Cigar City is sorta' local...while I agree with the above, you have to try some fresh Jai Alai while you're here.

11. ashleylake

ashleylake Initiate (0) May 6, 2011 Florida

Engine 15-Double Drop and Three Seas
    Green Room-Double Overhead
    AArdwolf-Nonchalant
    Intuition-I-10
    Veterans-Hop Banshee
    Pinglehead-Pinglehead (not an IPA but tasty Red ale)
    Zeta-American Garage

its a fun city...dont forget to UBER if you are drinking lots..and if you are going to be here this weekend you can check out a bunch of Local beer at the Locals Only beer festival Saturday 3/28 downtown!

12. gator79

gator79 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2008 Florida

Aardwolf is one of the best breweries in Jacksonville, everything they brew has been great. Also check out Pinglehead/ Brewers Pizza, Intuition, and out at the beach Green Room, Engine 15 and a brand new brewery Zeta. All of the breweries listed have very good IPA's.

13. buckslayer50

buckslayer50 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2015 Florida

Definitely grab some Hop Banshee from Veteren's United, I-10 is a really solid one to. I plan to make the short trip from St. Augustine to Jax soon and go to Aardwolf which I hear is awesome.

14. flskydiver

flskydiver Initiate (83) Apr 27, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Aardwolf makes a great belgian pale as well
    Green Room rocks, they always have some very interesting beers as well as the "regular" varities. I had a beer there recently called surf wax that was fantastic. It tasted just like the name implies, in a good way.
    I-10 IPA is super solid..I like it better out of the can for some odd reason. A lot of publix grocery stores should have it pretty fresh so if you see it more than 4-6 weeks old keep looking.

15. TBCE

TBCE Aspirant (208) Mar 24, 2015 Florida

I hope you enjoy your stay in Jacksonville. Intuition makes the best IPA around here, in my opinion. That said, if you have a little time, check out Veterans United. Their Imperial Grunch is a pretty solid brew and they offer tours on Saturday and Sunday every couple hours. For less than 10$ you get a glass, tour, and samples of their beers. It's a really good time.

16. solo103

Trader

I know its been said about they're Nonchalant but you should really hit Aardwolf for all they're other offerings as well. They are producing, across the board, some if not the best beer in Jacksonville

TBCE likes this.
  17. Krice99

Krice99 Initiate (132) Nov 1, 2014 Illinois

Thank you for your replies. Headed out there today and will seek these out! I did have Jai-Alai when I was in Orlando and it was terrific. I am now looking forward to trying your recommendations!

18. Bobby904

Bobby904 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 Florida

I live in Jax and agree with what most are saying above. Aardwolf is a MUST visit. Best brewery in Jax by far IMO.

19. will_eye_e

will_eye_e Aspirant (256) Jul 29, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Necromancing this Jax IPA thread.

Is Hop Banshee still readily available in grocery stores (Publix, Whole Foods, etc.) in the area? If so, are there specific stores that carry it or do all/majority of stores have it?

20. ryhouse

ryhouse Initiate (189) Oct 28, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Shouldn't be hard to find. I'm pretty sure Publix, Winn Dixie, ABC, Total Wine and any bottle shops will have it.

21. buckslayer50

buckslayer50 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2015 Florida

I still see it Publix in St. Augustine and I think Winn Dixie too.

22. flskydiver

Trader

Yeah it's everywhere, just make sure you look for the price tag on the can carrier that will say when it was canned. I don't think it moves as well as I-10 and it is very good when fresh. That beer has come a long way since I first had it IMO. Also I'm gonna go ahead and say that Aardwolf Insert Hop Pun Here is now my favorite IPA in Jax. Blows I-10 out of the water. Super dank brew.

23. will_eye_e

will_eye_e Aspirant (256) Jul 29, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Ah, good looking out. Does Aardwolf package any of their beers?

24. flskydiver

Trader

Other than a couple of limited special release bottles, not yet. If they have the Brandy Barrel Aged El Mariachi bottles still available, I highly recommend that. They do growler fills however (quart,growler,gallon)and the prices on those aren't too bad. Try the Nonchalant, Hop Pun, and Phantom of the Hopera..all three are quality brews. Everything they do is pretty solid actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.