Great Lakes Brewing Co. introduces new year-round Hazy IPA: Hazecraft IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,120) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

GREAT LAKES BREWING CO. INTRODUCES NEW YEAR-ROUND HAZECRAFT IPA

New Hazy IPA Launches in Cans August 31

CLEVELAND, Jul 28, 2020—Great Lakes Brewing Company (GLBC) announces the release of Hazecraft IPA, a new Hazy IPA joining the brewery’s year-round portfolio in 6-Pack 12 oz. Cans and 16 oz. Cans beginning August 31.

Engineered on GLBC’s 2-barrel pilot system, Hazecraft IPA is a smooth-drinking Hazy IPA brewed with a blend of Azacca, Lemondrop, and Simcoe hops for loads of juicy and tropical aromas. Hazecraft IPA’s label, designed by artist Sam Hadley, features a cloudy, melon-hued retro space scene.

Hazecraft IPA joins GLBC’s hop-forward year-round offerings Great Lakes IPA, Commodore Perry IPA, Burning River Pale Ale, and award-winning classics Dortmunder Gold Lager and Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. Hazecraft IPA is GLBC’s first year-round beer to be offered exclusively in cans.

About Hazecraft IPA:
    Perhaps inspired by Ohio’s surprisingly deep roster of trailblazing astronauts, our brewers launched Hazecraft IPA on our 2-barrel Pilot System. Their bold quest for an infinitely tasty Hazy IPA led them to discover the perfectly vibrant constellation of Simcoe, Azacca, and Lemondrop hops. That’s one giant leap for your palate!
    • ABV: 6.7%
    • IBU: 40
    • Pairs with: Grilled vegetables, citrus marinades, and stargazing
    • Flavor: Blast into orbit through a hazy galaxy of otherworldly tropical fruit aromas.
    • Packaging: 6-Pack 12 oz. Cans, 16 oz. Cans, Draft
    • Availability: Year-Round throughout GLBC’s entire distribution footprint, beginning August 31
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/498435/

https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com

###

Raime and Blogjackets like this.
  2. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (144) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

3. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (314) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Hooray another IPA! The market definitely needs this because it is hard to find IPAs.

4. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,384) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

Most likely the necessity to stay relevant with the trend

5. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,975) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Oh so that's what the IG tease was. The initial IG tease looked very similar to Bottle Logic's barrel aged label art. I was very confused at first. Now I see the actual can's label is a bit different and closer to other recent GLBC labels.

GOBLIN likes this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,609) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Definitely agree with this sentiment with the caveat of "Juicy/Hazy IPA". I am getting pretty bored with these sorts of beers since many of them taste just the same for my palate: Tropical fruit with some citrus and low/moderate bitterness.

I wish that some breweries would brew some 'old school' IPAs which feature non-tropical fruits/citrus flavors and have a notable bitterness.

Yesterday I purchased a six-pack of Victory Dirt Wolf since that beer is sorta an anti-Juicy/Hazy hoppy beer.

Cheers!

7. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (236) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

I thought it was a redux of Spacewalker

[​IMG]

#7 mambossa, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    bluejacket74 likes this.
  8. mambossa

They’re always 7 steps behind, though. There’s a lot of resting on fading laurels and extremely conservative, cautious decisions being made there. Hence the 7 steps behind..

Zaphog and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  9. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,215) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

No, not you, Great Lakes....

10. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,050) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Sounds like my kinda brewery...

11. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,424) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

They'd be in the lead if they stuck to their own parade instead of jumping ship

12. gyorgymarlowe

gyorgymarlowe Initiate (46) Aug 24, 2019 Colorado
    Trader

Great Lakes has so many good beers in their portfolio that have been around for a long time. This one is just a fart in the wind.

13. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,166) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I traded for Great Lakes back in 2013, bought their stuff while on the road, and I have also ordered their stuff from France44. They have a solid line up and are just steady like Sierra Nevada. Wish they distro’d here, and I wish my trade for Chill Wave back in 2014 didn’t get messed up like it did. Cheers.

Blogjackets, kuhndog and Hoos78 like this.
  14. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,489) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

The death throes of one of the best breweries in America.

SABERG and Stignacious like this.
  15. mambossa

I guess I should have mentioned that I still do like a lot of their beers, they deserve a ton of respect for what they’ve achieved for my city and state, & craft beer as a whole, and they have very good reasons for the way they do things and why. :relieved:

16. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,727) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Great Lakes is one of my favorite breweries. I always pick some up when I visit the family up in Illinois (they don't distribute to Texas unfortunately). Edmund Fitzgerald, Eliot Ness, Gold, Turntable Pils are all excellent. I will always get those when I have the chance...this I'll pass on if/when I see it.

17. mambossa

You mean if they’d just stuck to their core beers and classic seasonals? I don’t think those numbers and bottom lines would add up to “the lead”. And I think that few breweries of their age and size could eat off solely their core lineup without new seasonals and one-offs boosting up the revenue.

18. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,489) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I believe you used to work for GL, right? They could certainly thrive off their core lineup with the reoccurring seasonal thrown in they are that solid.

The problem is with their reliance on distributors who are overwhelmed with numbers and Great Lakes short term best buy dates. The distributors couldn't get it out in a timely fashion and this led to stores not reordering GL beers.

mambossa likes this.
  19. champ103

Society

Yeah, I agree with that. I just had late lunch at Saint Arnold earlier today. I would put them in the same category as Great Lakes (at least around here). Old school brewery that has been around with core lineup and seasonals before anything else was around. They have added at least one "juicy" IPA to their year round line up recently. Its selling very well, but I'm still buying their original Amber and Lawnmower. If the juicy hazy stuff sells more power to them, just don't take away any the beers I want to drink. Though they have unofficially done that with 5 O'Clock Pils...shrug.

20. mambossa

I did, and I loved every minute I worked for them. I’m not denying that they have a solid and consistent core lineup, it’s just a hard sell with the congested shelf space.

Stores not reordering leads to their distributors buying less beer from them the following year. It’s such a difficult time for a lot of regional breweries in the past handful of years. Shelf space is practically as valuable as gold, and tried-and-true doesn’t sell as reliably as it used to...

21. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,429) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Another hazy 40ish ibu hazy ipa, yea. There’s 1000 on the shelf as it is, I’m about over with these.

22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,609) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

For me this situation is more than a shrug. I get that breweries need to chase money (e.g., Juicy/Hazy IPAs) but when they decide to cancel other well brewed beers from their portfolio this just sucks. I mean, how many Juicy/Hazy IPAs are really needed on beer retailers' shelves?:grimacing:

Cheers!

23. champ103

Society

I agree for sure. I guess my shrug is more acceptance, that I can't really change much. I buy what I like, which isn't these "juicy" AND "hazy" (just in case unsuspecting buyer needed extra buzz words) IPA's, and I don't have much more power than that.

24. beersampler6

beersampler6 Poo-Bah (1,844) Apr 4, 2018 Michigan
    Society Trader

I enjoy a nice hazy IPA as much as the next person, but sometimes too many of these in a row overwhelm my palate and I'll need to switch to a more bitter West Coast style IPA...or a stout.

JackHorzempa, champ103 and nc41 like this.
  25. nc41

Society Trader

Exactly, I’ve stopped buying them, a six would last me two weeks, it grates on my palate. I might buy an odd fresh can every now and then, but your right, when I see hazy, juicy it’s code word for pass. If Stone brought back the original Ruination they’d make a killing.

champ103 likes this.
  26. purephase

purephase Initiate (149) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

I'll definitely try this. I thought the hazy IPA they bottled as a seasonal earlier this year was solid (I preferred it to their existing year-round American IPA), and this one looks to be the same ABV/IBU with Simcoe swapped in for Citra.

27. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I just don't see a lot of evidence that the solution for these aging craft brands is to jump on a fad late. I suppose they probably have a debt load that makes accepting lower volume and a smaller footprint acceptable. Good luck to them and I'll still pick up their stuff when visiting family on Michigan

28. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (314) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

This is me with old-school IPAs. Any hoppier beers really but I find that hazy/juicy is easier on my palate.

nc41 likes this.
  29. nc41

Society Trader

You would think that to be the case, but I find it tends to burn the back of my throat, feels very acidic to me. Not all of them obviously, but enough that I just steer clear. If I want a good ipa I look for Stone or Two Hearted Ale.

champ103, HorseheadsHophead and ESHBG like this.
  30. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (146) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

You just described Surly Brewing to a "T"....How I miss the original beers like Bender, Wet, Cynic, etc:slight_frown:!!

nc41 likes this.
  31. nc41

Society Trader

Old Abrasive, or Furious.

32. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (638) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Same here, except yesterdays protest IPA purchase for me was Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  33. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (215) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Go back and have a Sierra Nevada Torpedo or Bells Two Hearted. You'll remember why you fell in love with IPAs to begin with.

HorseheadsHophead, Jaycase and nc41 like this.
  34. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Initiate (174) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois

Well, SN hit a grand slam (many times over) with Hazy Little Thing, and while I don't have any concrete sales numbers, I can tell you that Bell's Official is a staple in many of my friends' refrigerators.
    The challenge for GLBC is that they are not nearly as ubiquitous as Bell's & SN. I can pretty much go to any store that sells beer and find Hazy LIttle and Official. GLBC is in significantly fewer stores, especially a lot of the grocery chains where my friends buy most of their beer. I certainly can't blame 'em for wanting to emulate the success of these other beers, and I hope it works out for them because I like having easy access to Eliot Ness, Edmund Fitzgerald, and a crap ton of their seasonals (especially Okto, Blackout Stout, & Nosferatu). They have a good enough track record for me to give this a try.

35. ChazBoner

ChazBoner Initiate (113) Jun 29, 2014 Tennessee

omg another IPA!!!!1111 yes!!!!

Two Hearted is shit

36. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I do recall seeing some postings about hlt doing really well, I imagine its a compelling argument that you need to have one modern IPA in your lineup. I'm not convinced but I do hope it works for glbc, like you said they make lots of great beers and I am always happy to find them stocked in my dads beer fridge when I visit

37. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,328) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

Meh, I'll grab a single.

Oh that's right. No stores around here do that anymore :confused:

38. jonphisher

jonphisher Aspirant (286) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I know you’re in PA if you ever make it to South Jersey go to tonewood. They brew so many styles well. They just canned headspace their west coast ipa for the 3rd or 4th time I think. It’s an awesome beer. I give them so much respect for continue to stay true to themselves. They brew what they want and of course that does include a few hazy ipas from time to time. But we people say breweries have to for income source I point to tonewood. I’d say more than half of what they brew isn’t juicy ipa. Anyway rant over give headspace I try if you can. Very well made beer. Only catch is the price (13$ a four pack) but I’ll buy it to support them continuing to brew good beer close to home

JackHorzempa likes this.
  39. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (231) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

40. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (189) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Was the 5 O’Clock available on tap at the brewery/restaurant?