Great Lakes Brewing Co. Names Steven Pauwels as COO

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,632) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

CLEVELAND – March 24, 2022 – Great Lakes® Brewing Company (GLBC) is pleased to announce that Steven Pauwels has joined the GLBC team as Chief Operations Officer.

During his 22 years at Boulevard Brewing Company (Missouri), Pauwels has overseen all aspects of brewing, packaging, and quality control as the regional craft brewer’s sales have more than quadrupled. Pauwels is also responsible for more than a dozen additions to Boulevard’s brand lineup, including the critically acclaimed Smokestack Series line of artisanal beers and Quirk Hard Seltzers.

Pauwels grew up steeped in the brewing industry. His first stint in the business came with summer work at his hometown brewery, Eeklo’s Brouwerij Krüger, where his father was employed. After receiving degrees in Biochemical Engineering from KaHo Sint-Lieven and in Business Administration from Mercator, both in Ghent, Belgium, he held positions at the Domus brewpub in Louvain and at RIVA brewery in Dentergem.

Pauwels has been a beer judge at the Great American Beer Festival® (GABF), at the World Beer Cup® since 2006, and at several other international competitions. Pauwels has presented several technical talks at the Craft Brewers Conference and Master Brewers of America meetings. The acclaimed brewmaster has received international recognition for his work, including multiple medals at the World Beer Cup and GABF. Pauwels won the Russell Schehrer Award for Innovation in Craft Brewing in 2021.

Pauwels joins the storied regional craft brewery at a pivotal time, as GLBC heads into its 34th year celebrating unprecedented growth resulting from recent brand innovations like Crushworthy Lo-Cal Citrus Wheat, TropiCoastal Tropical IPA, Imperial IPA Series, and its first foray into beyond beer with Agave Twist Ranch Water Hard Seltzer (Black Cherry, Lemon Lime, Blackberry, and Pineapple).

About Great Lakes® Brewing Co.: Great Lakes Brewing Co. (GLBC) is Ohio’s original craft brewery, founded in 1988 by brothers Patrick and Daniel Conway in Cleveland, Ohio. Independent and employee-owned, GLBC serves 14 states and Washington, D.C. with its award-winning portfolio of fresh, flavorful, and innovative craft beers including Dortmunder Gold® Lager, Hazecraft® IPA, Crushworthy® Lo-Cal Citrus Wheat, and a robust selection of seasonal and limited release offerings. Learn more at greatlakesbrewing.com.

###

ChicagoJ and FonyBones like this.
  2. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,037) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Seems like a solid pick. Good pedigree that seems to fit GLBC. Definitely miss some of their beers

3. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,386) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

I have really missed their beers since I moved to Florida.

ChicagoJ, Squire and champ103 like this.
  4. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (664) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Hopefully they can expand their distribution footprint to New England. I’d buy their beers often. Eddie Fitz Porter & Dortmunder Lager would be a staple in my fridge.

5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,735) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

It's been years since I've had any and still remember them.

ChicagoJ, SunDevilBeer and CBlack85 like this.
  6. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (659) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Congratulations... now please make more Blackout

7. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (521) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Good to see the love from above and a great addition to GLBC. I've always been a fan as they were one of the first locals I was introduced to in the early 90's.
    Their core line up I've had so much over the years that I primarily buy their seasonal (minus Xmas Ale :nauseated_face:) and quarterly Imp IPA series.
    But the core lineup is no slouch Dortmunder Gold, Edmund Fitzgerald, Elliot Ness & Burning River are all solid.
    So glad they started the Imp IPA series as the Commodore Perry and the Great Lakes IPA are decent but rarely had me seeking them out, my seasonal faves are still what I return for...Blackout Stout, Chillwave, Dank Demon, Lake Erie Monster, Tidal Fury & Conway's Irish Ale.
    They had some retired beers that I'd love to see back on the street as seasonals like Big Black Smoke, Rye of the Tiger and Glockenspiel Weizenbock.

ChicagoJ, Redrover and Chaz like this.
  8. AlfromPA

AlfromPA Initiate (44) Dec 9, 2021 Pennsylvania

Great Lakes's variety pack (with Dortmunder Gold, Eliot Ness, Edmund Fitzgerald) was about the best around in terms of quality. Haven't seen one here in the Philly area in a while. I have seen an innovative ale or two, but I've passed on it...

Squire and ChicagoJ like this.
  9. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,735) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

During my working career I traveled a good bit and when in an area where Dortmunder Gold and Eliot Ness were sold made an effort to get them.