Great Lakes - Christmas (ale) in July

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeerVikingSailor, Jul 21, 2021.

1. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,009) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Seems to be a fairly localized thing - but I see other Christmas ales locally come out in July too (Fatheads and Thirsty Dog, to name a few)

https://greatlakesbrewing.com/christmasaleinjuly2021

First time that Great Lakes will be making their Christmas ale available at the Indian's stadium at a home game Thursday July 22.....and I have seen the bombers of BA XMas ale in local grocery stores too....

[​IMG]

Blogjackets, zid, beergoot and 3 others like this.
  2. Providence

Providence Crusader (748) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Whack.

beergoot likes this.
  3. jonphisher

jonphisher Zealot (565) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I think that’s a cool idea, a one day thing at a stadium when Christmas in July is a thing. If I was an Indians fan and had time I’d probably go for it. But only if they play Christmas vacation clips during inning breaks :slight_smile:

4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,026) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Heavy, 7.5 beer flowing freely to sports fans in a sun-struck stadium. :thinking_face:

At least it's open air. I guess. :grin:

5. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Sez you.....Christmas in July beers in NE Ohio have been a "thing" for quite some time

beergoot and jonphisher like this.
  6. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Sun struck? We are talking Cleveland - we don't see much of that commodity around these parts! :stuck_out_tongue:
    Seriously though, the forecast for Thursday evening and the game actually sounds pretty nice - upper 70's and sunny - will be cooler by the lake tomorrow evening - if I were there @ the game, I would probably go for one! Cheers.....

7. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,026) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

:grin: sorry, I just think sun when I think baseball -- old memories.

"Hit the ball, and touch 'em all,
    A moment in the sun!"

BeerVikingSailor likes this.
  8. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,334) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Christmas beers in the summer is definitely a thing in NE Ohio.. Thirsty Dog does the same thing and even gives it a summer packaging so that you know it's fresh and not from the previous year.. I love both Christmas beers, but not in the summer.. it's like watching Christmas movies and listening to Christmas music in July.. no thanks! Christmas beers, movies and music hit the hardest during December.. I personally have never been a fan of the "Christmas in July" thing.. part of what makes the Christmas season great is that it comes once a year.. to each their own though lol it's not that serious.. that being said, Great Lakes Christmas Ale is a certified classic beer and is awesome stuff..

9. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Yep - just saw these a while ago on my lunch break - you know - beer shopping

[​IMG]

the GLBC barrel aged Christmas too - in pricey bombers

[​IMG]

10. Providence

Providence Crusader (748) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I can't get behind Christmas beers in July, but I can definitely get behind beer shopping on a lunch break.

Blogjackets, keithmurray and beergoot like this.
  11. jasonmason

jasonmason Devotee (484) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Society Trader

Alesmith did this for a while with Yulesmith. The summer one was a west coast dipa whereas the winter one was more of a double red ipa. Both were great.

Man, every time I thin about Alesmith I miss having easier access to their beers. Such a great brewery.

BruChef and BeerVikingSailor like this.
  12. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,533) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Christmas came early and Santa brought beer.

Blogjackets and BeerVikingSailor like this.
  13. BeerVikingSailor

Trader

Why, yes.....I will - thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. defunksta

defunksta Meyvn (1,099) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

The title of the post had me horrified because I thought they were jumping the gun on the Christmas season early (which would probably be a record). After the reading the post, I think this is a nice and unique idea. Fresh Christmas beer in the summer, but only for a limited time. The Christmas beer season is too short anyway.
    This sounds better than when I see Oktoberfest beers on the shelves on a 100 degree Summer day in August. Too early.
    The short "Christmas in July" seems pleasant and Frank Underwood would approve (S1E1)