Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Great Lakes Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by riemster, Mar 23, 2013.

1. riemster

Beer Trader

Has any one tried Great Lakes ice cream? I finished my last pint I saved since January recently. I'm not a huge Great Lakes fan despite living in Ohio, but I do like their Blackout Stout, EF Porter, and Christmas Ale. The ice cream is made by Mitchell's in Cleveland. The EF Porter Chocolate Chunk is amazing. The beer flavor really comes through and is only elevated by the chocolate in the ice cream. The Christmas Ale Ginger Snap is good too, but the ginger cookies over power the flavor of the beer a little bit.

Overall, I am so glad I bought a couple pints of both flavors. Ice cream and beer can be a great combination when done right. I strongly suggest finding their ice cream next holiday season! In past posts on BA, I saw Ommegang made a Three Philosophers ice cream and Three Floyds made a Dark Lord ice cream, but they were only available on site I think.

[​IMG]

This is my first thread, so I hope it was good! Are there any other beer ice creams made available for retail?

2. beercanman

I've had the Xmas ice cream. Haven't tried any of the other though.

3. jcreegan

Subscriber Beer Trader

Funny- I was unaware of this but already planned on making a blackout stout ice cream this evening. Will see how it goes.

4. riemster

Beer Trader

o wow. Can you post a picture of it or at least post about it? hahaha.

I hope it turns out good.

5. JebediahScooter

ISO: Edmund Fitzergerald Chocolate Chunk. Anybody ever try to ship ice cream with dry ice?

BRZvice likes this.
  6. kuhndog

Never seen the actual ice cream. But I did have chocolate ice cream, paired with edmund fitzergerald, and it was great :).

7. BRZvice

ISO: FFF DL Ice Cream

8. gzaIPArza

It amuses me that by itself, DL is mediocre, but as soon as things like vanilla beans, bourbon or ice cream are added, it turns into something magical. I want them to make DL taste better, but I'm afraid that it will make all of the other wonderful things it creates taste worse.

BRZvice likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe