Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Great Lakes Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by riemster, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riemster

riemster Devotee (458) Mar 17, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Has any one tried Great Lakes ice cream? I finished my last pint I saved since January recently. I'm not a huge Great Lakes fan despite living in Ohio, but I do like their Blackout Stout, EF Porter, and Christmas Ale. The ice cream is made by Mitchell's in Cleveland. The EF Porter Chocolate Chunk is amazing. The beer flavor really comes through and is only elevated by the chocolate in the ice cream. The Christmas Ale Ginger Snap is good too, but the ginger cookies over power the flavor of the beer a little bit.

Overall, I am so glad I bought a couple pints of both flavors. Ice cream and beer can be a great combination when done right. I strongly suggest finding their ice cream next holiday season! In past posts on BA, I saw Ommegang made a Three Philosophers ice cream and Three Floyds made a Dark Lord ice cream, but they were only available on site I think.

[​IMG]

This is my first thread, so I hope it was good! Are there any other beer ice creams made available for retail?

2. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

I've had the Xmas ice cream. Haven't tried any of the other though.

3. jcreegan

jcreegan Disciple (301) Aug 12, 2010 Florida
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Funny- I was unaware of this but already planned on making a blackout stout ice cream this evening. Will see how it goes.

4. riemster

riemster Devotee (458) Mar 17, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

o wow. Can you post a picture of it or at least post about it? hahaha.

I hope it turns out good.

5. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

ISO: Edmund Fitzergerald Chocolate Chunk. Anybody ever try to ship ice cream with dry ice?

BRZvice likes this.
  6. kuhndog

kuhndog Disciple (330) Sep 6, 2011 New York

Never seen the actual ice cream. But I did have chocolate ice cream, paired with edmund fitzergerald, and it was great :slight_smile:.

7. BRZvice

BRZvice Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2012 Michigan

ISO: FFF DL Ice Cream

8. gzaIPArza

gzaIPArza Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2013 Indiana

It amuses me that by itself, DL is mediocre, but as soon as things like vanilla beans, bourbon or ice cream are added, it turns into something magical. I want them to make DL taste better, but I'm afraid that it will make all of the other wonderful things it creates taste worse.

BRZvice likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.