Great Maryland Blue Crabs and Craft.. Where?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Chinon01, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chinon01

Chinon01 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

I'm looking for great Chesapeake food hush puppies, crab cakes and of course crabs outdoors great view and quality craft. What you got?

alysmith4 likes this.
  2. Beerisheaven

Beerisheaven Devotee (463) Dec 5, 2007 Pennsylvania

The combination you speak of is mutually exclusive. There is no reason to have craft with blue claws. A simple lager or pils I'll do.

RichardMNixon likes this.
  3. Chinon01

It doesn't exist?! No!

4. Beerisheaven

Not where I have been down in Baltimore and surrounding area. One place for crab cakes near Inner Harbor is Hull Street Blues Cafe. Some decent bottles there time to time. Where you been for crabs?

5. smakawhat

smakawhat Poo-Bah (5,928) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

Flying Dog Atlantic Lager....

Cantler's...

6. Schultz

Schultz Aspirant (258) Jan 19, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber Beer Trader

No such thing as a great Chesapeake hush puppies.
    Maryland crabs are not running yet, everything from LA or Texas.
    Brewers cask has nice beer selection and steamed crabs, not sure if they have them this early in season.
    Bo Brooks has Heavy Seas and Sam Adams and crabs
    Same with Ships cafe
    Nicks at Cross Street Market has nice beer selection and steamed crabs

7. JandJMD

JandJMD Zealot (521) Feb 23, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Head toward Annapolis or the Bay Bridge/Kent Island and find a spot with crabs and Natty Boh. If you are picking crabs with Old Bay, there is no need for craft beer. Drink the good beer later.

skivtjerry likes this.
  8. JandJMD

JandJMD Zealot (521) Feb 23, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Ask for the Baltimore Margarita - Natty Boh in a pint glass rimmed with Old Bay.

Titans77 likes this.
  9. smakawhat

Subscriber

Actually I totally forgot... a place that has a really good beer selection and true crab is Ocean Odyssey just outside Cambridge Maryland.

This is Maryland baby.. WE KNOW CRAB!!

10. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,250) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Depending on where you are going/from/travelling to the Red Roost in Whitehaven is chock full of atmosphere and well worth the trip. Plus, they have everything from Coors lite to local Evolution beers...

11. Skabiski

Skabiski Aspirant (230) Feb 2, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Plenty of Maryland crabs in Crisfield. Good beer in Crisfield, well that's a different story.

lackenhauser likes this.
  12. Ammertime

Ammertime Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2011 Virginia

Cantler's has no craft, tap, or bottled beer but is great for the food half of your request. I think craft beer and real crabs are mutually exclusive.

13. Carrman

Carrman Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2012 Maryland

This place actually had a few decent craft selections the last time i was there, and the seafood and views are great. It's in southern MD though, near Solomon's Island.

http://clrestaurant.com/

14. Chinon01

None of you guys really seem to mind that restaurants serving crabs w/ craft aren't that common. Would it be a hit you think or no?

15. Titans77

Titans77 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Maryland

Im sure people that frequent this site would think it is a great idea. But the normal crab picking individual just wants a simple drink with crabs... something to keep the bill low since crabs aren't cheap.

Chinon01 likes this.
  16. cj8311

cj8311 Aspirant (232) Nov 12, 2008 Maryland

Crabs are eaten with BMC swill. Just a fact.

17. smakawhat

Subscriber

most places dont, however Ocean Odyssey does. But you wont find exactly hopslam there if you know what I mean.

18. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (522) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Baltimore Inner Harbor. Crabs & Natty Bo. It's good. Do this in the afternoon, then hit up a couple of the many great craft beer spots in Baltimore later.

MontpelierArtie likes this.
  19. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,496) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Most of the crab shacks I've been to will at least have Yuengling on tap or bottle. That doesn't qualify as good craft beer in my book, but for some folks it might.

Just my two cents on this, but I'm not sure how well a good DIPA, IPA, saison or RIS would go with an order of steamed crabs smothered in Old Bay. Crab meat flavor is fairly delicate, and I think it would be overpowered by a lot of craft offerings. I also happen to think that old bay spice would clash with a lot craft beer styles. I tihnk you could do a decent helles lager, pils, wit or pale ale, but for whatever reason, you just don't see a lot of that at most crab houses in Baltimore.

20. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (3,366) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I like crabs and I like craft, but I can't think of too many beers that I'd pair with crabs and old bay. The only thing I think that could work is maybe a wit? A nice crisp, hoppy German pils (Wurzburger) would do the trick too, but that would be more of an excellent palate cleanser rather than a true pairing IMO.

21. Beerisheaven

John has spoken so thread is complete.

Just another thing and to state the obvious. Crabs are conversation food meant to be enjoyed over a long period. So, I think you are looking for a beer that allows you to be in for the long haul as opposed to some higher ABV that defeats the purpose and puts you down too quick. I hate to say it but I sometimes even have lite beer with crabs.

I do an annual Crab Fest at our beach house, called Pickin and Lickin. Here is this year's menu-

Crab nuts and pretzels
    Crab dip
    Chilled Crab Fingers
    Crab Stuffed mushrooms
    Mini crab bites

Tomatoes and olive oil and cracked black pepper

Batch 1 - Dirty crabs smothered in my seasoning - cracked black pepper, kosher sea salt (2:1 salt to pepper) with old bay added
    Batch 2 - Garlic crabs
    Batch 3 - Dirty garlic crabs

Watermelon

Frozen York peppermint patties - this won't make sense but an old place that was our crab Mecca served these (gabler's for those that remember it)

Our house is a shrine to crabs that day with crab lights, balloons, TP, soap, hats, and everything you can possibly think if related to crabs.

wise456, dhartogs and lackenhauser like this.
  22. Chinon01

I totally hear you guys on the price factor and folks therefore being ok w/ cheaper AAL at crab joints. But I'm certainly not buying that crabs can't pair w/ many styles. Having said that yes IS, DIPA, tripels wouldn't be a good idea due to abv and protracted nature of crab eating. But lighter styles and lighter versions of pale ales, saisons and beers w/ higher drinkability would work for sure.

23. smakawhat

Subscriber

It's just hard to find the combo together Ocean Odyssey comes close, I was rather shocked to see such a diverse beer list when I went in there. Unfortunately the beer menu is not up online.

As for trying other styles, sure you can, and it's neat to mix em up, but I love a solid simple lager (like Full Sail Session or Flying Dog Atlantic) to go with them. I did out of irony try old DFHs Indian Brown Ale simply cause I like that beer and hadn't had it in ages, with the crab and it was not ideal, but hey you gotta live.

[​IMG]
    Crabs with Full Sail Session Lager by imbibehour, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    Crabs with Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale by imbibehour, on Flickr

Crabs is just such as mess, and while I am not born and bred Marylander I am probably going to be a heathen for also mentioning I prefer my crab not spiced (ie. No Old Bay - or no J.O.s). The meat is so sweet and delicious it needs nothing, that's the way I like it, and I do like Old Bay but just not in those quantities of being coated and smothered in it, which is the appeal for some.

Pickin up crabs from time to time and getting out the newspaper and friends over is a treat. Fish markets and certain places it's even just better to that. Go to a place that sells them buy a good amount then you can take them home and have whatever beer you want.

24. smakawhat

Subscriber

Actually I just notice on the home page they showed a few beers on the home page.

Saison Dupont and crab... pfft what's not to love about that! :)

Chinon01 likes this.
  25. oglmcdgl

oglmcdgl Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2007 Pennsylvania

Crabs and a gose.

26. Titans77

Titans77 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Maryland

I still think that Flying Dog should experiment with brewing with Old Bay. I think it would make sense with a Saison or even a Rauchbier if done correctly. Could be a perfect compliment to steamed crabs. The Bohrita you can get everywhere in Maryland is decent enough with crabs, but how about a dedicated beer made for crabs. Has any brewery used Old Bay at all?

27. Chinon01

Maybe if the crabs weren't season then an Old Bay brewed beers would work but otherwise things would get lost. I'd wanna clean or balance the palate.

28. smakawhat

Subscriber

29. oglmcdgl

oglmcdgl Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2007 Pennsylvania

They did an old bay gose

30. notjustgc

notjustgc Initiate (154) Nov 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Step 1: Get a sack of 2doz crabs, to go.
    Step 2: Get some bottles of a great wit/saison/hefe/gose or other appropriate pairing, to go.
    Step 3: Go home.
    Step 4: ????
    Step 5: Profit!

31. Chinon01

What if my home has a shitty view?

32. notjustgc

notjustgc Initiate (154) Nov 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Go to a mountain top or perhaps steal a yacht.

33. kenatbeerswap

kenatbeerswap Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2010 Pennsylvania

How about some Ghost Face Killah with you crabs? :)

34. leeds376

leeds376 Initiate (161) Sep 27, 2005 Pennsylvania

pffft to this talk of Old Bay. It's JOs or bust.

And Maryland crabs are out there now, they just aren't running heavy yet.

lackenhauser likes this.
  35. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (954) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm in the crowd that doesn't need craft beer to go with crabs. Any solid lager or whatever floats your boat. My personal best crab and beer combo is with Carib Lager and Crabs. It's a messy good time!

36. joeboe2001

joeboe2001 Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2008 Maryland

In the shadow of the Eastern end of the Bay Bridge is a place called the Crab Shack. They serve finest kind crabs, and have a few picnic tables overlooking the Bay and the Bridge that you can eat them on. They have beer, but probably nothing better than Corona (though that does go well with crabs!) but you could certainly pack in your own.

A few miles up the road is Kentmor Marina and Restaurant--also good crabs, also nice view. I am not sure they still serve it, but last year they had Red Hook on tap.

37. dhartogs

dhartogs Disciple (362) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

The Crab Shack rules, their beers is BMC. I stop here frequently. Their old bay wings and old bay fried pickles are awesome. Awesome Soft Shell sandwich too. I could go on. Sherry and Bob right a great little operation.

38. dhartogs

dhartogs Disciple (362) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

For my family cab feasts this is my go to beer, as light as any BMC while supporting the local guys. we have a place in DE buy live crabs steam and season ourselves, bucket of boardwalk fries and a few growlers of the responders ale. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20688/68312

Chinon01 likes this.
  39. Chinon01

Nice choice. I think Goose Island Honkers Ale could work w/ the crab old bay spice too. Light but w/ a good dab of malt sweetness.

40. tommyguz

tommyguz Meyvn (1,009) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.