Great Notion 2019

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by weaverr, Jan 11, 2019.

1. derftron

derftron Disciple (329) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Think Ill pay 1/2 as much for a better beer in Ft. George Matryoshka :slight_smile:

2. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (152) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

[​IMG]

imposterzilla likes this.
  3. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,303) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Society Trader

I'm with you on this, but they only have 425 bottles left, so I'm sure they'll have no problem unloading them all, along with the beanies and glassware.

JasonJYoung and imposterzilla like this.
  4. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (87) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

They are rare in that these are all extremely highly regarded breweries whose beer doesn't make up to Portland very often. I have zero problem with Great Notion hyping that taplist up even if I wasn't a huge fan of the beers themselves. Again I am not a Great Notion fan, but criticizing them for hyping the new facility taplist is pretty low on my list of issues.

kemoarps and sirkulation like this.
  5. drone

drone Disciple (370) Jun 17, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Curiosity got the best of me, I grabbed a BBDS ticket. I really enjoy DS when it's dialed in, but the beer seems to have crazy quality sway.

Not having to fight whalehunterz and waste time in line is a huge net positive. Online sales rule. Additional props for banning proxies!

6. John_M

Society Trader

In what I would describe as a shocking development, Great Notion actually sent out their weekly Friday update before the end of my work day.

YOOOOOOOOOOO What is up y’all cool craft beer drinkers out there on this super gorgeous Portland Friday?!?! It is slated to be in the 60’s and sunny the next few days so we are ecstatic! Well, it could be the weather or it could be the Pineapple Juice Invader, not entirely sure :wink: 3 Notions coming in hard like a lion, out like a lamb:

[​IMG]

Patio-Drinking Weather!

If you’re trying to drink a beer outside this weekend, we GOTCHU!!! Alberta's beer garden will 100% definitely be poppin’, so pls roll on by there! As for NW, we are working hard and fast at finishing the NW patio as we type this to have it open for happy hour today and through the weekend! The carpenters are killing it; it should be gorgeous for you and so whichever location you choose, you def deserve a beer on a patio this weekend.

[​IMG]

New Alberta Beers

In the next 2 weeks we will be dropping some rad new beers at our Alberta taproom only, including Guava Coconut Mochi, fan-fave Super Over Ripe, a yet to be named hazy IPA with mixed berries (for Brews for New Avenues) and Mister Fahrenheit, an imperial stout with chocolate, vanilla, and both ancho and habanero chilies!

[​IMG]

Saturday Can Release

This Saturday, 3-16-19 at Great Notion Brewing NW (2444 NW 28th Ave.) from 9am - 11am we will be dropping the following 2 new beers, along with coffee/breakfast from 7am-11am:

1. BABY BLUE - Baby Blue is the 6% love child of Blueberry Muffin and Juice Jr; a Mosaic-forward hazy IPA fermented on blueberry and vanilla. $20/4-pack.
    2. PINEAPPLE JUICE INVADER - Pineapple Juice Invader is a hazy IPA dry-hopped with extraordinary amounts of Galaxy hops from Australia and fermented on an otherworldly amount of juicy pineapple! $20/4-pack.

imposterzilla and JasonJYoung like this.
  7. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,028) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

That Pineapple Juice Invader sounds awesome. Cmon Chuck’s, bring some up...

MatthewWalters likes this.
  8. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Devotee (460) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Society

I actually enjoyed the few Great Notion beers I've tried, and I consider myself pretty openminded to various voices in writing, including some that would rub most as absurd, but the bro-speak in these announcements is so fucking cringeworthy. If they went a little farther, it would pass for tongue-in-cheek, but alas ...

9. John_M

Society Trader

I feel the same way, and sometimes I'll try to clean up portions of these announcements. However, sometimes that's just not possible, without pulling out some of the more useful information. Also, sometimes I'm so busy at work, all I have time for, is to just cut and paste everything.

I know what you mean though.

66jzmstr and vurt like this.
  10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,800) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Yeah, often spoken slang doesn't transfer well to the written page.

66jzmstr and vurt like this.
  11. Jsimansk

Jsimansk Initiate (126) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

If I'm reading the announcements correctly, sales of Saturday can releases are cut off at 11am (despite the taproom ostensibly selling other cans), so when I visit this coming weekend I'll be SOL for whatever is new. How long have other recent releases typically been available? I'm not that excited for Baby Blue or Pineapple Juice Invader, but wouldn't mind grabbing other stuff from the past couple weeks. Or am I better off heading to Alberta and hoping for some interesting crowlers?

12. John_M

Society Trader

I suspect the same questions have occurred to many of us.

I'm going to try to make it over to the new taproom/restaurant today to see what the story is. I was under the impression that just like the Alberta street pub, they're selling cans and crowlers at the new place. So a cut off time of 11:00 makes no sense to me. It's not as if the restaurant closes down at 11 AM (in fact, it opens at 11:00), so why would they suddenly stop selling cans of the new beer then? Do they have to walk over the remaining cans to some other part of the facility?

To answer the rest of your question, it depends on the beer. Some releases are available for days and weeks later, while others sell out quickly. For some beers there's a purchase limit restriction, for others there isn't. To the best of my knowledge, the only way to find out for sure is to contact the brewery and ask.

To be honest, I just assumed once the new production facility opened, they would likely dispense with these Saturday morning release events. At the very least, I thought they'd do away with the old, rolling cut off time (once there's no longer a line, sales come to an end). The old system made sense, just because the facility wasn't actually open yet. Now that is, I don't understand why there's still a cut off time for new release sales.

66jzmstr and Jsimansk like this.
  13. Jsimansk

Trader

Thanks for the input - if you find out anything more I’d be curious to know!

My assumption about the restricted releases is that they’re creating some artificial scarcity. Being generous, putting a cap on sales so they can assess and allocate stock to distribution. I realize these guys do things in their own quirky (often frustrating) way, but I do like a lot of their beer and enjoy spending time at the bar when I’m in town and taking what I can home.

beertunes likes this.
  14. John_M

Society Trader

OK. So here's the story.

Todays release will become available for sale at both locations at a later date. The bartender couldn't say just when, but mentioned that the can and crowler selection for both places is updated via instagram. My understanding is that they try to only have so many different beers for sale at either location at any one time. So when they feel they need to replenish the current can selection at either location, that's when the current release will eventually show up. If I understood the commentary (and reading between the lines a bit), if they're feeling especially inundated with cans from previous releases, that's when some place like Chucks might see a delivery. Some of the hemming and hawing I heard today, sounded like some of the current release might see some distribution. IMHO, the pineapple space invader is really, really good. Alas, the current orange creamsicle isn't one their better efforts, and moon pie and keep the fire are almost undrinkably sweet.

15. John_M

Society Trader

The new facility is pretty nice and seems every bit as popular as the pub on Alberta street. Place is pretty much packed at 2: 45, including some of the lads from casa agria today. Good place to hang out with a beer or three.

ChugChugPass, vurt and sharpski like this.
  16. imposterzilla

imposterzilla Initiate (81) Jan 23, 2019 Washington

I have had a few of their brews. I do enjoy their hazys.

17. taadiskoool

taadiskoool Initiate (17) Feb 27, 2019 Hawaii
    Trader

Paul is from Philly and really really really wants you to know about it and if you ever meet him you get the feeling he wouldn't survive a half mile walk in that city acting like he does.

drone, dirtylou and DefenCorps like this.
  18. John_M

Society Trader

The Friday update (I know, more like the Saturday update):

What’s up everyone? Hope you had a nice week and are maybe doing something fun next week in a Spring Breaky sorta way?!?
    3 Notions for ya:

[​IMG]

Can Release

This Saturday, 3-23-19 at Great Notion Brewing NW (2444 NW 28th Ave.) from 9am - 11am we will be dropping the following 2 new beers, along with coffee/breakfast from 7am-11am:

1. Keep the Fire: KTF was brewed with Beechwood smoked malt, chocolate rye, and dehydrated marshmallows. This Imperial Campfire Stout (11.5%) has a touch of smoke and notes of toasted marshmallow & melted chocolate. Cheers to camping and safe fires!
    2. Puppy Love: Puppy Love is the little Brother to Full Grown DIPA. We brewed this 5.4% ABV beer to be an easy drinking beer with a bold hop character. "You say it's Puppy Love, we say it's Full Grown."

More info here

[​IMG]

Guava Coconut Mochi & Hawaii 503

2 super rad new beers just made their appearance at our @greatnotionalberta pub this weekend. Guava Coconut Mochi is the newest member of our Mochi IPA beer series, brewed with milk sugar and toasted rice, then fermented on guava puree and conditioned with vanilla and hand-toasted coconut. Hawaii 503 was brewed with Rik and Summer who made a generous donation to @Brews4NewAvenues. an event showcasing the social consciousness of the craft beer community. Rik and Summer joined us to brew an IPA fruited with Pineapple and Marion berries. Thank you for your support!

More info here

[​IMG]

Food Specials

At @greatnotionnw, we have a Chicago Style Hot Italian Beef with au ju gravy, Tillamook white cheddar and giardiniera relish and also a BBQ Turkey Sandwich with arugula, pickles, red onion, Tillamook white cheddar, and red-eye aioli house-made hazy bbq sauce. At @greatnotionalberta, we have a Hand Dipped Corn Dog: a Hebrew National all beef frank battered and fried, drizzled with yellow mustard and served with waffle fries or salad, as well as a Turkey Melt made with smoked turkey, extra sharp Tillamook cheddar, bosc golden pear and honey on toasted sourdough bread served with waffle fries or salad and some amazing German Potato Salad made with Russet potatoes, yellow onion, celery, crumbled beef brisket and scallions in a creamy mustard dressing.

19. Jsimansk

Trader

Stopped in at Alberta last night. Enjoyed my share of draft pours as always and was pleasantly surprised to see yesterday’s releases already available as to-go options - IMO, just as it should be.

66jzmstr and kemoarps like this.
  20. John_M

Society Trader

Agreed. Now that the new facility is open, it really makes no sense to cut off sales at 11:00. If there's beer available, and someone wants to buy some, why would you tell them they can't have any? Anyway, glad to hear that at least for now, they seem to have suspended their policy of not selling any release day beer after 11:00 on Saturday (at least until at some later date).

21. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,009) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Hmm. I am interested.

Dang.

Oh well, I just might go give it a try, seeing as how I'm already out putting miles on the bike.

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  22. John_M

Society Trader

IMHO, the smokey quality to this beer is the best thing it has going for it. Otherwise, it's another completely over the top sugar bomb. The sweetness is nearly nauseating. IMHO of course.

beertunes, vurt and kemoarps like this.
  23. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,009) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Thank you, John. I appreciate the input.

It would've been a bit of a jaunt anyway, since I'm over at Threshold now (off Stark a few blocks from Roscoe's).

24. John_M

Society Trader

The weekly Friday update:

Happy Friday, y’all...especially all you Superstars out there! We’re pretty excited because we just found out that this Sunday is National Beer Day according to the people that make up national holidays, so we can get down with that…

Here are 3 Notions to help you celebrate:

[​IMG]

Can Release

1. SuMoMo: The bigger, badder version of Momo, Sumomo is a Southern Hemisphere Double IPA dry-hopped with Motueka and a touch of Galaxy hops. Be careful, this beer may push you out of bounds! $20/4-pack

2. Superstar: A juicy, hazy dedication to all the amazing females in the world, this beer was dry-hopped with Mosaic, Simcoe, Galaxy and Vic Secret hops. The late, great MCA said it best: "We want to say a little something that's long overdue, the disrespect to women has got to be through. To all the mothers and the sisters and the wives and friends, we want to offer our love and respect to the end!” $18/4-pack

More info here

[​IMG]

Catch a Flight with Pauly

Recently we’ve dropped new episodes with chef/owner Rick from Lardo/Grassa as well as GNB beertender turned NW GM, Tom. Next week we will have special guest GNB illustrator-extraordinaire Chad Eaton! Subscribe now / view our Catch a Flight with Pauly Youtube episodes here!

25. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Meyvn (1,131) Apr 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Just mixed Blueberry Muffin and Double Stack. Pretty damn great
    [​IMG]

imposterzilla and MatthewWalters like this.
  26. Wheat_Thicc

Wheat_Thicc Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2019

Hey ya'll. I'm from Northern California and my girlfriend is making a trip up to Portland and is nice enough to bring some beers home for me from Great Notion. Is it a better use of her time to just go to the Alberta location for cans/crowlers or will the new location have the same kind of variety/availability. Thanks!

27. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (121) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Was just at the NW location today. They had a bunch of Superstar cans. One other variety too. Alberta likely has similar. Basically, both should have cans available. Probably best just to call each to see what’s on hand.

28. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,170) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

I prefer going to the Alberta Pub. Smaller, the original, and a more charming place, and they (now) always have plenty to go. Plus, it's right next door to Pine State Biscuits, and down the street from Salt & Straw and plenty of other musts for a quick tourist checklist of spots to hit. Having said that, can't go wrong either way.

Cheers.

29. John_M

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Can Release

This Saturday’s can release is going to be Over the top and Double the fun!

Over Ripe
    Over Ripe is an experimental IPA brewed with a unique blend of hops and tropical fruit. This beer is saturated with flavors of over ripe fruit like cantaloupe, guava, pineapple and papaya. $20/4pack

Double Stack
    Double Stack is our Imperial Breakfast Stout fermented with an irresponsible amount of maple syrup and aged on whole bean Sumatra from our friends at Clutch Coffee. $22/4pack

See you at GNB NW at 9am (or earlier for coffee, grub and some more Superstar!)

[​IMG]

New Beers: Both Locations

Making its debut at NW is Second Pressing: Pinot Noir

Our budding barrel program’s latest spin-off, this golden sour aged in oak barrels for 12 months, spending the last 5 months conditioning on second-use pinot noir grapes (the first use will drop in bottles soon in Sorcerer’s Apprentice: Pinot Noir). It was then blended with a barrel of brett saison to balance acidity and add a subtle layer of brett flavors and aromatics. It’s light and tart and you’re gonna want seconds!

Then, at Alberta we have some new IPAs debuting along with our Finback Brewing collab!

Boto IPA: Fun fact- Boto is the name given to the super cool pink river dolphin native to the Amazon. Boto is also the name given to this super tasty double IPA with Cryo Citra, Mosaic & Vic Secret hops.

Cryptozoologist: Here in the Pacific Northwest, everyone's trying to get a glimpse of Bigfoot and while you're on the hunt, keep an eye out for a Gumberoo, Colossal Claude, or maybe even a PNW Tree Octopus! Whatever you're looking for, whomever you find, we made this beer to keep you refreshed and kept the ABV low so when the sighting happens, you can believe your eyes.

Rainbow Cookie is our pastry stout collab with Finback Brewing in NY. This heavenly libation is loaded with blackberry, almond, and vanilla.

Have a great weekend ya’ll!

GNB Fam

[​IMG]

Collabs

Speaking of collabs, New York area peeps be on the lookout for us all over the city!

Sand City:
    Pockets of Fog, a hazy double IPA and
    Lava Dome, a 15% (yeah that’s right) lava cake Imperial Stout.

Other Half: Prom Night, a follow up to our Homecoming collab

Finback Brewing: Rainbow Cookie Imperial stout

30. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (34) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Any thoughts on this last batch of double stack? Have some on the way from a bud. Recently had it at a beerfest back in February and thought it tasted like taste like straight syrup. Kind of let down as I remember having it in 2018 and it was top notch. Giving it another go...

31. John_M

Society Trader

Haven't tried the current batch, but I'm surprised by your experience. While there is some slight batch variation from batch to batch, I've never encountered the sort of disparity you're referring to.

Last time I had it was a bit over a week ago on tap at the NE Alberta pub. Felt it might have been a bit sweeter than normal, but otherwise pretty typical double stack.

jamshard2mash likes this.
  32. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,028) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I've always thought that Double Stack tasted like straight syrup (with a hint of butter)...

jakecattleco likes this.
  33. dphi

dphi Initiate (108) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

I've seen crazy batch variation over the years, the last one I had was pretty roasty and light on the maple, and of course I've had some pours that were straight syrup as well as some in between the two.

34. imposterzilla

imposterzilla Initiate (81) Jan 23, 2019 Washington

Guava Coconut Mochi & Hawaii 503 just sounds epic.

distantmantra likes this.
  35. John_M

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Can Release

Luminous 04: Luminous is our series of Sour IPA's and each batch is uniquely different. Luminous 04 was fermented with Lactobacillus, house yeast, and milk sugar. We conditioned this unique beverage on Meyer Lemon, Vanilla Bean, and toasted Coconut. $20/4pack

DDH Ripe: What happens when you double the hops in one of your favorite IPA's? You get DDH RIPE! We got crazy and added over 7 lbs of hops per barrel to this batch!! Start your day off right....with a glass of Fresh Squeezed RIPE. $20/4pack

Bonus: There’s also still cans of Double Stack and Superstar that will be available on Saturday!

[​IMG]

Grubhub

Speaking of munchies, did you know Great Notion NW is available on Grubhub?! Now you can get our dope philly cheesesteaks and crunchwraps delivered to your door!

Available Monday-Thursday 11am-5pm.

36. Sorithin

Sorithin Initiate (48) Jan 7, 2016 Ohio

Hey guys! I'm heading out to Portland in a few weeks and will get there on a Tuesday afternoon. Do cans from Saturday releases usually last into the week or do they sell out on release days?

37. John_M

Society Trader

It's extremely rare for Saturday release bees to sell out on release day. That being said, there's no guarantee that the Saturday release beers will be available for sale on Tuesday. GN will almost certainly have something for sale, and it's possible that the recently released beers will be available, but if there's a particular beer you're hoping to obtain, I would call both the NE Alberta St. pub and the new production facility pub first before heading over.

Good luck.

Sorithin likes this.
  38. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (34) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

FWIW....1st can out of the 4 pack was straight maple syrup. Only 1 tasting note. Syrup. 2nd Can was much more balanced with a good kick of coffee and less maple syrup.

kemoarps likes this.