Great Notion Opens Much-Anticipated Second Location in Northwest Portland

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (16,536) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

StoutElk_92 and Domingo like this.
  2. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,935) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Society Trader

Just went to their Soft Opening last night and it's looking Great in there! Very happy for their self-made success. Though I'm partial to the Alberta pub (especially cuz I live down the street), I'll be happy to pop my head in at this beautiful new spot and look forward to taking some friends. Congrats @paulypringles and crew.

Cheers!

#2 Lingenbrau, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,683) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

That's really cool. One of those places that seems like all hype until you experience it for yourself. Even the food is fantastic.

Isn't Breakside near there?

Lingenbrau likes this.
  4. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

Yup. Within walking distance.

Domingo likes this.
  5. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

Haha. Back pack foldy chair recommended.

jakecattleco and beertunes like this.
  6. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,683) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Gotta put in some miles so you don't pile on the pounds from their pastry stouts and dessert beers. My wife and I cleared 3-4 miles a day while there. GN is one of the few places we had to Lyft to get to.

Lingenbrau likes this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,542) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My wife and I had an extended visit to Portland last June as part of attending HomebrewCon. We found the public transpiration system (especially the streetcar system) to be helpful on our combination tourist touring & pub crawling. We did use Uber a few times as well.

Cheers!

beertunes likes this.
  8. Brewhead55

Brewhead55 Initiate (185) Apr 21, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

GN is a great place! Love that city and love what they have added to an already-thriving beer scene. :slight_smile:

Lingenbrau likes this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Society

10. Brewhead55

Trader

unhyped likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

Not quite. Producing a good product but not pricing it properly and not marketing it well will not achieve success.

Cheers!

rodbeermunch likes this.
  12. Brewhead55

Trader

The breweries they listed were not producing products that are up to today's standards or following current craft beer trends.

"Marketing" is a very broad term, so that's really an entirely different discussion altogether. You could get into advertising, distribution footprints, branding, positioning, etc. but we wouldn't have time for that.

At the end of the day- breweries like GN are surviving because they are making beers that people are interested in because they are in-line with today's craft beer trends and demands.

Cheers!

A_Drunken_Production likes this.
  13. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,638) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

For whatever it's worth, I agree with the points you made and I think you about nailed it.

GN was one of the first breweries in PDX to make hazy IPA's and pastry stouts, and while a lot of different breweries out here have followed suit, they're still very highly regarded when it comes to those style beers (sours as well). Many people (myself included) have complained about GN's pricing, which is generally on the high side for the area. However, GN has been able to thrive despite this general perception, because many fans feel they're delivering a fairly unique product and quality is perceived as very high. So folks are willing to pay the premium GN charges, and demand for their beers remains quite high.

It probably doesn't hurt that what's perceived as pretty expensive in PDX, is seen as the industry norm for these style beers in many other parts of the country.

14. Brewhead55

Trader

Well said and definitely in agreement with you...

15. Lingenbrau

Society Trader

I'll also chime in on the Portland Breweries recent crashings in a fiery death. As a consumer and fan of all three of the breweries that have (and are) recently closed/closing, it's true... they have not been doing anything exciting in a while. Relatively complacent in fact. Black Bear XX stout and Hop Czar were pioneer beers that I, and many others will miss. Truth is, in a city with over 100 breweries and growing, the old guys aren't keeping up interest, especially as some of the new guys are just so friggin good and/or unique.

Also, Burnside just happens to be in prime real estate area that I can almost assure you will be sold and turned into another mega apartment building, not to mention the alleged bad business practices (not paying rent).

Brewhead55 likes this.
  16. jlharman

jlharman Initiate (57) Apr 5, 2015 Washington

Great Notion does some very limited distribution to Seattle. While the pricing on Juice Jr. is in line with local offerings, I paid $30 for a four pack of 16 oz. cans of Double Stack. That's less per ounce than some of the local barrel aged stouts but still pretty steep. I'm not complaining because DS is excellent and it's cheaper than a trip to PDX.

17. A_Drunken_Production

A_Drunken_Production Initiate (191) Aug 14, 2017 Oregon
    Society Trader

The only beef I had was trying to find parking. I blew off work on Tuesday and rolled in around 2 PM. Other than that, the food was great and I had a spiritual experience getting an Unbalanced Breakfast.

18. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,301) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

May have to cancel my trip to San Diego - but the rainy weather.

19. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,307) Sep 24, 2007 Mayotte
    Society Trader

It only rains 461 days a year.

Or, you could roll like a local, and wear your Gore-tex.......

66jzmstr and Lingenbrau like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.