Great Notion

Discussion in 'US - West' started by maltmaster420, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulypringles

paulypringles Initiate (19) Dec 11, 2014 Oregon
    Society

Thanks again everyone for all your feedback and inspiration! Our new IPA, Grape Lotion goes on tap when we open today at 12 noon. We made Grape Lotion for the Willamette Week Pro-Am competition with Dan S. and as a shout out to you guys for all your love (and other feels) you've provided to us over the past year and a half or more. Grape Lotion was fermented with 85 pounds of Oregon Chenin Blanc grapes and dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy hops. We unfortunately are headed out of town for GABF for the next few days, but would love to hear what you think and also meet you if you stop in today or one day next week when we're back. Thanks again NW Forum BA brothers and sisters!

2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,202) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Funny, that was the same conclusion I came to.

What struck me as odd though, is that this was his first post in four months, and he came onto BA just to make a comment like that.

While his comment struck me as much ado about nothing, you do have to wonder what kind of a "shitty day at the office" someone must be having to post something like that.

3. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Good to know that at least the folks over at GN have a sense of humor about all this.

It's going to be a busy weekend, but hopefully I can get over to the brewery to sample it (as it sounds intriguing).

And good luck at GABF this year!!!

4. paulypringles

Society

Thanks so much John! We also just put on tap another hazy IPA more on the tropical spectrum...we collaborated with Weldwerks out of Colorado on this one and fermented it with guava, passion fruit and pineapple...it's called Juicy Fruit!

5. paulypringles

Society

SO SORRY GUYS!!! Scratch the tapping of Grape Lotion for now..we unfortunately are not allowed to tap the beer until the Willamette Week Pro/Am competition...that means it won't go on tap until 10/14. We look forward to toasting Grape Lotion with you guys in a week and a half. We will most likely release Crowlers of it that day also!

6. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (375) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Well, shit, I was hoping to try it this weekend.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  7. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

Was it a little late to tap or already blown by 1:30? I happened to be in the neighborhood when I saw the FB post so stopped by and didn't see it on tap or in crowlers.

I settled for a crowler of FH Juice Jr instead.

Edit: Apparently this was answered 30 minutes ago.

8. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2017 Washington

That sounds delicious; my 3 month long project is going "code complete" on the 16th.. so that's either going to be a possible nice way to celebrate (since theoretically I'll be done on Friday the 13th) or a really bad decision for me to make if I decide to drive down with work still to be done lol.

edit: scratch that, Dark Star variants come out that morning.. bad decisions will certainly happen but not involving a drive to portland!

stevesbeer likes this.
  9. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

From a recent email (it's actually several weeks old, but I just now had a chance to read it).

New Facility: Still trucking along on our new 30 bbl production brewery and brewpub. We have the backwall all sheetrocked up now and the grain room built. The floor is sloped, hoping to coat it in the next 2 weeks and move some equipment in after Halloween. We are on track right now to start brewing and canning beer by year end with the new brewpub/restaurant slated for Spring 2018.

The email also confirms that they did enter several different beers into the medal competition, but were unsuccessful in obtaining any medals this year.

10. paulypringles

Society

Hey everyone, hope you're doing well. Quick question - Did any of you guys come in to try Grape Lotion? What'd you think? Nobody has introduced themselves yet from this forum, so not sure if you guys ever even came in to try the beer we dedicated to you or not...stop in and say hi sometime to me (Paul), James or Andy if you get the chance. Take care and enjoy the Autumn weather kicking in hard...we're about to release the new batch of Double Stack soon and the return of Peanut Brother to celebrate.

11. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 California

Will do, tell Chad he's the man!

12. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I received the notification about the tapping of Grape Lotion in the email you sent out, but not till roughly 2 weeks after you sent it (as I was in France till 10/29). I confess I just assumed it would be long gone by now, which saddened me, as I really wanted to try it.

If you think it will still be on tap this Saturday, then hell yes I'll come by to try a glass. Also, I'm not the least bit shy about introducing myself, or about expressing my opinion of the beer. :sunglasses:

Very glad to hear about the new batch of Double Stack as well. The last batch you made... just my opinion of course, but I thought it the best version you've made yet. Do you think you'll provide any crowlers for sale this time around? I have a trading partner/buddy from back in the Philly area who has an expressed an interest in trying it, and would like to grab a can for him if any are available this time around.

Cheers!

13. South2NW

South2NW Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Oregon

I thought grape lotion was pretty tasty. Grape character came through nicely, but didn't kick out the hops. I need over ripe in my life more often. It can stay on tap permanently. excited about new double stack and peanut brother too.

Ps

U-Pick is fantastic.

14. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm sure I don't need to even mention this to @ElijahSF, but GN is now sending out (fairly regularly) Friday "GNB 3" email bullet newsletters that provides current updates at GN (recent and upcoming tappings, progress on the brewpub, merchandise additions, etc.).

Anyway, for those who love all things GN, it might be worthwhile to go online and sign up for the weekly email alerts.

15. paulypringles

Society

@John_M thanks for pointing out our newsletter to everyone and also the note about you really digging our last batch of Double Stack. The new batch should come out very early next week with crowlers also. Grape Lotion should last through the weekend as well to early next week.

@South2NW thanks for the note about Over Ripe and U-Pick!

ballardbeer, John_M, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  16. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Excellent news indeed.

Thanks for the post.

17. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Trying a glass of GL right now. Very, very tasty. The grape flavor isn't overdone, and it blends in very well with the tropical fruit and low level of bitterness. Very impressive.

18. drone

drone Disciple (386) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

I'll be in PDX this weekend and dropping by. I hadn't kept up with the news and saw Grape Lotion on the taplist, have any of the brewers actually acknowledged where the name came from? Hilarious either way.

19. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (312) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

20. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Good time to drop by. Lot of interesting things on the taplist right now, in addition to GL. Current double stack is tasty, and the peanut brother is interesting as well. They may even still have some crowlers for sale, should that interest you.

21. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,194) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Does Double Stack still taste like fake butter and Mrs. Buttersworths? Such a weird beer.

vurt likes this.
  22. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Hard to answer that, as I've never thought it tasted like that. Some batches were overly sweet I thought, and the smoke flavor a bit much, but recent batches were redolent of dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla and maple syrup. YMMV.

I liked it, but I could see were it might not be for everyone

BeerandLoathing likes this.
  23. BeerandLoathing

BeerandLoathing Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Oregon

See, I've always thought it tasted like French Toast Crunch. If you're not familiar with that cereal, essentially for a brief and ill-advised period of time in the 90's General Mills decided Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal wasn't sugary enough for kids, so they decided make the cereal look like toast and drizzle them in maple syrup....

[​IMG]

Personally, as much as I love Great Notion, Double Stack is a monstrosity to me. I once spilled some on my hand and couldn't get the maple syrup smell out for like a day haha. But to each their own. If you want a massive adjunct stout and aren't a diabetic, then give this beer a spin for sure. Perhaps as I get older I'm losing my alcoholic sweet tooth.

24. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,808) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I gotta admit, I love me some French Toast.
    However! That looks like a strong candidate for worst cereal ever.

66jzmstr, vurt and BeerandLoathing like this.
  25. BeerandLoathing

The 90's were a simpler time :joy:

stevesbeer, 66jzmstr, vurt and 2 others like this.
  26. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (375) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

That cereal has been back for a while! It’s one of those that removes the skin from the roof of your mouth.

27. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Latest news about the new facility:

Good news and bad news. Good news: Electric and gas will be brought to the building next week. We are finally on the schedule to get water into the building as well in the next few weeks. The boiler arrived and is ready for install as well! Bad news: Things in general are moving along slower then expected due to the city of PDX being super swamped with all the other new construction going on these days. We are still hoping to brew our first beer in there by year end but it's looking like it may be January now. Also unfortunately it's sounding like the new restaurant/brewpub won't be ready until the Summer of 2018 now. That's just the way construction projects go more often then not.

28. BeerGroz

BeerGroz Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2010 Washington

Any date yet for Biscuits and Hazy?

29. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Today is Friday, and so of course here is today's beer news:

Beer News: This week was fun with a lot of customers getting to take home both Peanut Brother and Space Invader crowlers. #hopbae went on tap this week and crowlers are popping off. New batch of Juice Box goes on tap next week as well as an awesome new kettle sour called I Love it When You Call Me Big Papaya! Our collabo with Ruse Brewing may also go on tap soon: a black IPA with toasted coconut and kaffir lime leaves. Lastly, we brewed a super rad beer earlier this week with our next door neighbors, Pine State Biscuits called Biscuits & Hazy! This beer will obviously be a hazy IPA with what else but Pine State Biscuits in it! And to make it even more fun, some local Marionberry jam!

NW 28th News: We finally have gas and electric in the building! Concrete slab being poured next week out front for our glycol chiller and CO2 tanks.

I like to try new things, but personally, I'm not sure how excited I am to try the Biscuits and Hazy IPA.

BeerandLoathing likes this.
  30. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

anyone know if 3 bullet fridays are going out today still? visiting the tap room tomorrow and stoked to see what i can get.

31. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (135) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

double dry-hopped juice box is a phenomenal hazy IPA. nails that bitter/juice ratio perfectly.

32. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,668) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Woah i ike French toast and make it every Sunday..how did that become involved in sugar-acopolypse?
    I have no sugar or syrup on mine

33. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

Here's a great notion
    for you: How about you take
    this to the right place?:slight_smile:

34. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,683) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Did you report it?
    Haiku is great but nothing
    Beats direct action.

:grin:

35. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

Reporting helps, but
    only haiku can confer
    everlasting shame.:slight_smile:

36. BeerandLoathing

How do you make and consume French Toast without sugar or Syrup? Are we going to split hairs here? :joy:

37. NWer

NWer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I just wasted 15 seconds of my life reading your post.

38. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,808) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Sugar and syrup are the adjuncts of the French Toast world. Properly made, they're just extras. Not needed, but possibly enjoyable.

Some Straw/Rasp/Blackberries, however.......

BeerandLoathing and vurt like this.
  39. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Initiate (135) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

this is the moment
    when the beer site evolved to
    french toast advocate

40. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,274) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

French Toast Advocate! Bring it on! I've been a french toast advocate since my dad cooked it regularly on Sunday mornings.

Mornings are too early for beer (there, there's a beer reference, moderators). But I'm a great fan of fruit toppings ... like @beertunes ... but not only strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries, but also peaches, apricots, or marionberries.

My grandsons, on the other hand, have learned to hit me up for French Toast with Nutella!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.