Green Flash Distributing Alpine Bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Initiate (165) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

We have been getting Alpine in Spokane, WA for about 9 months now. I'm not usually one to bash contracted beer but the Duet, Birthday, and Nelson we have got doesn't hold a candle to the stuff I have had at the brewery itself. Bummer, cause Nelson was my favorite IPA.

2. BradStokley

BradStokley Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland

This is what I'm afraid of. Bottles just started showing up around the DC area and I have pretty low expectations compared to what you'd find in San Diego...

3. slavall

slavall Aspirant (247) May 27, 2012 Wisconsin

Duet and Hoppy Birthday are on tap in central WI....

4. HoptimusMax1mus

HoptimusMax1mus Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2012 Arizona

No bottles here yet. Can't wait to see some.

5. the_ipa_hunter

the_ipa_hunter Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 California
    Deactivated

Where at? I live in East Bay. Is there a site the good stores use around here?

6. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2013 California

I bought Nelson and Hoppy Bday yesterday, had the Nelson last night and I thought it was just as good as it has always been.

7. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (286) Feb 13, 2015 California

i know for sure that they're at a couple places on the peninsula (i.e. beltramo's, ale arsenal, probably K&L)...not sure about east bay though. i use beermenus.com and follow social media accounts for certain places.

8. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Interesting reading all the posts from around the country. Out here in San Diego we are shedding beer tears that it is officially the end of a once great era. Knowing that I will never be able to drive the 8 and get the best IPA I have ever had, while fighting the parking, and resisting the temptation to wait an hour to get some food makes me sad. At least there were good times.

Trojan713, saliro5 and BeerBeast like this.
  9. ClavisAurea

ClavisAurea Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008 New York

Any word on if they will be distributing in upstate NY? I would love to try some of their brews.

10. costanzo_mike

costanzo_mike Meyvn (1,214) Jul 17, 2014 Massachusetts

If these make their way to MA I'd pick them up to compare how they stand up to what I've been used to from Alpine in the past

11. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,999) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

$7.49 in Denver. The Nelson is not nearly as good as what I've had at O'Brien's or at the brewery in Alpine but what do you expect from Green Flash?

West Coast IPA has gone down the tubes. :slight_frown:

jakecattleco and raynmoon like this.
  12. fatsnowman22

fatsnowman22 Initiate (123) Feb 2, 2011 Nevada

Had Hoppy Birthday the other day on draft and well I wont be searching for it anymore. Not even close to the same. Once my favorite brewery now a great memory.

13. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

probably old kegs. I was at brew crawl in august and they an alpine tent, saw the kegs... labeled "February" ...

14. dre412

dre412 Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2015 California

I got some bottles. Big etched Green Flash glass label.

15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,542) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

So, a beer that is highly sought is permitted to sit around for months.

This makes zero sense to me.

Cheers!

16. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I'll be one happy MFer if this gets SC distro

alucard6679 and tillmac62 like this.
  17. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (575) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

If this most recent batch of kegs and bottles is any indication, then I'm gonna be drinking a lot more Nelson soon. I think it tastes just as good now as it used to before they got bought out. Hoppy Birthday and Duet are both tasting way better too, but the aroma is still not quite what it used to be. Then again, the bottles made at Alpine weren't exactly consistently great to begin with...

18. JackHorzempa

Society

That has been my experience with draft Hoppy Birthday and Duet over the past few months. Two of the pints of Duet had zero hop aroma and I do mean zero!

There seems to be something seriously 'off' here. I don't get it.:angry:

Cheers!

19. waitwhatamidrinking

waitwhatamidrinking Initiate (148) Aug 17, 2014 Illinois

Anyone see bottles in Chi yet? Not seeing anything on Beer Menus.

20. NizzleEGizzle

NizzleEGizzle Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2015 New York

@RobNewton GF Alpine bottles have been hitting NYC? Know of any shops that have been carrying?

And on a related note (and please excuse ignorance), but does that mean the Alpine kegs that hit NYC in July/August were contract brewed by GF? And anyone who had those draft pours and then the batch of GF/Alpine that are hitting NYC this time around confirm if quality has improved, because I was pretty nicely underwhelmed by Hoppy Birthday on tap at ABC Beer in August.

21. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW I was very much underwhelmed by a draft Hoppy Birthday I had last weekend in the Philly area. I suppose that keg could have been an August keg. FWIW, it is my understanding that Green Flash has been producing draft Alpine beer since 2013. I can see 'start up' issues occurring in 2013. If after two years they can't get the production of these beers 'right' then Green Flash has some real production issues.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/green-flash-to-start-brewing-alpine-beer-too.103668/

Cheers!

macesq and NizzleEGizzle like this.
  22. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,756) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

That's an unfair jest.

23. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (353) May 17, 2013 Illinois

My OH buddy said a bar near him in Cleveland sat on a keg of Enjoy By, thinking the date meant that's when they should tap it. Oops.

24. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (735) Mar 28, 2009 California

Why not? Unless something changes Alpine still brews Alpine. What else are they going to do with the brewery in Alpine and all the equipment? Part of the reason for the change is so Alpine can offer more to their employees. I don't see them changing people at the brewery.

25. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, that is not a too egregious thing. If they tapped on the date that beer is only about a month old.

@raynmoon posted about an Alpine keg which had a February date on the keg and it was tapped in August. That is about 6 months!!:grimacing:

Cheers!

26. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (735) Mar 28, 2009 California

The new Green Flash Alpine bottles have a 6 month enjoy by date :confused::astonished::grimacing:

jakecattleco, jrnyc and JackHorzempa like this.
  27. WillQC4Beer

WillQC4Beer Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

It's been in Albany so I am assuming soon.

28. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,603) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society Trader

I have no problem with a brewer making money off a beer that is "rare" as long as the brewer continues to manufacture that brew at the same high quality and flavor.

So I love the slogan, but I believe the problem is that some folks don't believe these Alpine beers taste the same when brewed by Green Flash. I haven't had the opportunity to make that judgment myself.

29. JackHorzempa

Society

That has certainly been my experience over multiple drinking experiences (varying dates, varying venues) with the draft beers (Hoppy Birthday, Duet). It has the appearance that some folks are opining that more recent batches and bottled version vs. draft has 'improved quality'. I have not tasted a bottled version but the recent draft experiences have been very underwhelming. I came to the conclusion after multiple tries that the Alpine beers I drank were not worth what I was charged.

Cheers!

Edit: My most recent drinking experience was a 13 ounce glass of Hoppy Birthday for $6.50.

30. WillQC4Beer

WillQC4Beer Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

13oz for 6.50 ouch!

31. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Well it was their Alpine Ale, which i believe is an english pale ale. Not sure why they were sent 6 month old kegs for the event. It was weird.

32. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

Dont think this was posted yet. Little long but a pretty cool review side by side of Alpine brewed Nelson and Green Flash brewed Nelson

gatornation and JackHorzempa like this.
  33. blindtiger24

blindtiger24 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2010 Colorado

So I'm planning a trip to San Diego next year, need to get a sense of whether I should make the pilgrimage to Alpine or rather just go to Green Flash. Has anything fundamentally changed at the Alpine source that would make me reconsider the trip?

34. JackHorzempa

Society

Yup, and no lube was provided.:slight_frown:

Cheers!

35. the_ipa_hunter

the_ipa_hunter Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 California
    Deactivated

Does Ale Arsenal allow bottle takeout? It surprises me how many places are out of touch. You would think RRBC accounts would at least have heard of, but no.

36. JackHorzempa

Society

@NJNYC732, thank you so much for posting that video review.

I have not had Alpine Nelson but my drinking experiences with draft Alpine Hoppy Birthday and Alpine Duet (which were brewed at Green Flash) was akin to what the reviewer stated concerning the Green Flash brewed Alpine Nelson. The beers I drank tasted ‘old’ which is something that the reviewer mentioned when drinking his freshly brewed Green Flash produced Alpine Nelson.

I am even more convinced than ever that Green Flash is experiencing production issues when brewing Alpine beers.

I think the reviewer made a poignant comment concerning this at the very end of the video: it’s been almost two years and it’s still not right.

A very disappointing situation that Green Flash can’t get it right.:slight_frown:

Cheers!

WillQC4Beer and HeyLady like this.
  37. nickmantia

nickmantia Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Massachusetts

I've had Duet, Nelson and Hoppy Birthday at Alpine Brewiing as well as other places in CA when we went out to San Diego last year. I've had Duet and Hoppy Birthday a few times in Boston area since January as well - had a glass of Hoppy Birthday two weeks ago in Malden.

Very hopeful that bottles will be distributed to MA at some point soon.

38. nickmantia

nickmantia Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Go to the source if you can - there's an excellent BBQ place two doors down that serves their beer and the food is amazing.

39. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,143) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Had some on draft last night & it seemed a shadow of the bottles I tried years ago ( actually from Alpine ). They will probably sell well here though not much completion IMHO....

40. Professor_Yeesh

Professor_Yeesh Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2014 California

Just picked up a Nelson and Hoppy Birthday. As others have said, Alpine labels and Green Flash bottles. Will try to judge for myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.