Green Flash Rebrands with Return of West Coast IPA and Launch of 2019 Lineup

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,633) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

SAN DIEGO, CA, January 28, 2019– Green Flash Brewing Company is kicking off 2019 with a new logo identity and packaging refresh, as well as a new lineup for the year ahead. The 2019 Green Flash portfolio features the highly anticipated return of the original 7.0 percent ABV West Coast IPA alongside new beers, returning fan favorites and special releases. As the craft-beer landscape evolves, Green Flash remains focused on innovating its beers and packaging to meet the diverse and changing expectations of craft-beer drinkers.
    [​IMG]
    The new branding is intended to reconnect Green Flash with its San Diego origins. The packaging prominently features custom artwork by illustrator Matthew Jay Fleming, whose illustrations depict the vibrant San Diego lifestyle. A Toast from the Coast manifesto speaks to the inspirational story behind the brand’s name and describes why a Green Flash beer is a perfect end to an extraordinary day and the start of an epic night on the horizon.

An innovative lineup of core beers – West Coast IPA, Tropical DNA (hazy IPA), Soul Style IPA, GFB Blonde Ale – will be the focus for Green Flash in 2019, with a strong roster of rotating special release beers. Additionally, all core beers will now be offered in 12-ounce cans to meet the growing demand for cans by consumers.

“Our new visual identity represents a dramatic shift for the Green Flash brand and reinforces its origin as one of the original San Diego craft beers,” states Green Flash Brewing Co. VP of Marketing Ben Widseth. “Regarding West Coast IPA, over the years we have been listening to our loyal drinkers who reminisced about the original recipe. So we’re excited to bring it back for them to enjoy, along with a portfolio of other fan favorites and new beer releases to come.”

Product images can be viewed at www.greenflashbrew.com/2019. Additional details will be shared at www.greenflashbrew.com and on Green Flash’s social media channels as more information becomes available.

About Green Flash Brewing Company
    Green Flash is an award-winning, independently owned and operated craft brewery founded in 2002 to bring fresh ideas and a sense of adventure to craft beer. Today, Brewmaster Erik Jensen leads brewing operations with unconventional ingredients and an obsession over every detail of the brewing process. Green Flash brews an eclectic lineup of specialty craft beers and distributes them throughout California and certain Southwestern U.S. markets. Headquartered in San Diego, Green Flash produces and sells the Green Flash and Alpine portfolio of beers. For more information, please visit www.greenflashbrew.com.

###

2. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,783) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Glad to hear they are 'back'. Will definitely have to visit the taproom when I'm back in Diego. Wish Cellar 3 was still open :slight_frown:

IPA_Lush and tobelerone like this.
  3. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (521) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

That is certainly more appealing than those silly looking corporate board room cans.

4. bgold86

bgold86 Savant (912) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

I don't know about "highly anticipated return" since this stuff sits and sits and sits, that was the issue to begin with...

5. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (571) Dec 12, 2014 California

Quality of the beer aside (which is up for debate), I really like the taproom.

Tdizzle, RobNewton and dvmin98 like this.
  6. jcos

jcos Aspirant (202) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

Apparently Green Flash fans wanted the original recipe for West Coast IPA back. Since that version hasn't been produced for many years, I don't see how you can see that it has been sitting on shelves already.

7. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (328) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

I can't even pretend to be excited about any of this. WCIPA was a fine beer before they ruined it. It being back doesn't really move the needle for me. They had a few good beers they ruined by moving to 4 packs and keeping the six pack price. They got rid of the only beer I kept buying after the 4 pack switch, Rayon Vert. They are irrelevant in my drinking life past present and future.

8. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (560) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

The artwork itself is quite attractive but they could have dialed back the purple a bit.

It'll be interesting to see how this relaunch goes. Probably smart of them to assume that "Palate Wrecker" is no longer in the current zeitgeist.

Tdizzle, RyanK252 and hopsputin like this.
  9. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (160) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Ditto. I would hate to this "rebrand" taking up any shelf space at any of my local beer stores. Leave the shelf space for good, often local breweries providing quality, value, and freshness.

RobNewton likes this.
  10. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (279) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

To the extent that anyone is a Green Flash fan, it's likely that their fandom is based more on GF's early beers, not their later ones. Smart move IMO, if you can't sell the classics under the Green Flash label, you probably can't sell anything under it.

11. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (27) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

I wouldn't say they are "back." Return to glory would include winning the favor of locals back. Green Flash is not in most local craft beer nerds vocabulary. With all the good beer out there, Green Flash has simply become a consolation prize at a corporate work event. Hard pass...

BeerseAnyone, TrojanRB and bgold86 like this.
  12. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (235) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I don't know - I certainly could go for seeing more WCIPAs around. Hop Head Red returning sometime would be really appreciated.

13. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,666) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

If I knew how to post a gif of a cat yawning, I would.

14. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,708) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I loved the original version of their West Coast IPA. I'm definitely looking forward to giving it a try.

15. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (454) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I'm in for Tropical DNA for ticking purposes

rolltide8425 and RyanK252 like this.
  16. rgordon

rgordon Champion (883) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Double Stout was a nice beer.

17. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (547) Mar 28, 2009 California

That’s a lot of purple.

TrojanRB, Tdizzle and chipawayboy like this.
  18. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,782) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Well, the labels did always feature purple, although you can see the creep of the ABV:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HopsAreDaMan, mikeinportc and Kadonny like this.
  19. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,276) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

If they ain't brewing Rayon Vert, I aint gonna be checking for them.

cavedave, pmarlowe, 66jzmstr and 4 others like this.
  20. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (560) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

Ahh thanks, I think my memory was tweaked by their name into thinking they were more heavy on green in the past. The new design is a definite improvement on that bottom one both in the artwork and in the use of the purple.

21. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (547) Mar 28, 2009 California

Still a lot of purple

TrojanRB, chipawayboy and meefmoff like this.
  22. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (133) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

I personally prefer their previous branding. It stood out and was direct. This looks like it’ll blend right in on the shelves. Guess it doesn’t matter cause they’ve pulled their distro to my state, so I won’t be seeing them any longer :sob:

pro100 and Tdizzle like this.
  23. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Poo-Bah (1,731) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Premium Trader

I suppose there are some beer meccas around the country where bottle shop shelves are comprised entirely of awesome local beer at the peak of freshness, but in my experience, there is plenty of garbage-to-mediocre beer taking up shelf space, often from local/regional breweries that are content to ride the "buy local" wave. And before anyone makes any wisecracks about Nebraska, this was just as much the case in Michigan, where I spent the last three years. And from what I've seen in Texas (mostly Dallas/Fort Worth), there are plenty of stores there that would be improved by the presence of OG WCIPA as well.

As far as I'm concerned, Green Flash's original WCIPA recipe is leagues ahead of many of the local beer chaff that so often consumes shelves. And if this heralds the ultimate return of Rayon Vert, even better. Green Flash was an early favorite of mine before they killed the original WCIPA and moved to filling their portfolio with nothing but slightly different IPA variations, so there is a nostalgic part of me that welcomes this news.

It's also nice to see them finally spend at least a little bit of money on creating worthwhile branding. From the original labels to the bold single-color labels (which at least stood out on the shelf/in the cooler) to the black-heavy powerpoint font labels, this is the first time they haven't been garish and cheap looking. Fourth time's a charm, I suppose.

24. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,405) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

It's all about that Rayon Vert for me. Double Stout was ok too, if I recall

swolepeer, 66jzmstr, tzieser and 3 others like this.
  25. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,295) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Premium Trader

I couldn't care less about the packaging. Just lower those outrageous prices and regularly send fresh Soul Style to Ohio and I'll be a happy man. Soul Style was so good and so underappreciated.

26. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Devotee (439) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

Rayon Vert was amazing, really miss it. Their imperial stout was pretty solid too if I recall.

cavedave and 66jzmstr like this.
  27. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (771) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Put me in the Rayon Vert or bust camp. I don't need any more IPAs in my market.

28. RyanK252

RyanK252 Poo-Bah (1,557) May 18, 2014 California
    Trader

Green Flash completely fell off my radar in the last few years. Their shift away from the classics and to light session-y beers completely lost me. I'm definitely down to try out Tropical DNA and grab some original recipe WCIPA and any others they revive like Hop Head Red, Double Stout, and Reyon Vert. Hopefully they find themselves again. This seems like a step in the right direction.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  29. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (161) Oct 6, 2004 California

Amen to that. I can only hope that this brings back the original WCIPA, which in it's time really was a stellar beer. And while it's not mentioned (unless I missed it...), I'll hold out hope for a return of double stout as well.

As to the branding...meh. I mean, it looks nice, but so does nearly everything these days. I would have been more enthused with the old school branding making a return.

30. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (753) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

If they can replicate the original WCIPA, I’m in.

HopsAreDaMan and Kadonny like this.
  31. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (380) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

You do realize the post said they're bringing back the original WCIPA recipe, right? Also you've got it backwards, they moved from 4pks to 6pks and raised the price, not 6 to 4.

32. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,393) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

No offense, Todd, but I think this ship has sailed. Unless they do a Palate Wrecker reboot that is astounding, or something of a similar magnitude, I think they'll have trouble getting any traction in a landscape that has changed a lot since they were a "go to" brand.

IMHO, of course.

JayORear and mambossa like this.
  33. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (328) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

I get they are bringing back the original wcipa. Again, it doesn't move the needle for me. They moved from 6 to 4 years back with thier bottles. That's what I was referencing. That's when they lost me.

The move back to try to recapture what they had years ago smells of deperation. For the most part the craft world has passed them by. We have plenty of good wcipas and mediocre year rounds. If people are holding out for more buttery Silva Stout more power to them.

34. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,812) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

You may have missed this move 'back in the day'. They made a decision to to move from 6-packs to 4-packs and simultaneously raise the per unit price. This is when they lost me as a customer of Green Flash branded products. A few years later they started brewing Alpine beers at the Green Flash brewery and the quality of those beers were not the same, both the Alpine Nelson and Alpine Duet brewed by Green Flash were sub-par. At this point they were 0 for 2 IMO.

Maybe they can make a 'come back' here with other customers? They will never get my money again after all the crap that they did in the recent past.

Cheers!

35. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (235) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I just looked at the full website with the new labels and artwork - terrible generic corporate crap. Between this and Sierra Nevada changing their packaging up (see customer surveys) - these big craft beer brands seem to not have a clue about the value of a legacy brand earned over years.

chrismattlin and DrumKid003 like this.
  36. Todd

Todd Founder (5,633) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

FYI: This is a press release from the brewery, not an article that I wrote.

37. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,393) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

I know, the triple hash marks are a dead giveaway for this J-school grad (Ernie Pyle School Of Journalism, IU-Bloomington Class of '85).

JayORear and beertunes like this.
  38. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (87) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado
    Trader

Interesting. I like the new logo and packaging, but will most likely not be bringing them back in to my shop.

39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,681) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Have to say I wasn’t a fan, but that was before I realized the importance of fresh with ipas. Easily giving it a shot, as long as I know when it was bottled. Cali beers die on the shelf here. If it’s fresh I’m in.

dangle47 likes this.
  40. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (165) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Premium Trader

Why not, mate?