Greg Koch responds to UK watchdog group's "feelings" towards Arrogant Bastard Ale

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,997) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

The Portman Group, a UK alcohol industry watchdog group, recently sent Stone Brewing's importer a letter alerting them of a potential breach of its "Code of Practice on the Naming, Packaging and Promotion of Alcoholic Drinks" regarding Arrogant Bastard Ale; the brand name and imagery.

Here's a link to the original letter and Greg Koch's reply:
    https://www.stonebrewing.com/blog/philosophy/2019/response-portman-group#ageGatePassed

The opening paragraph sets the tone that we've all come to expect from Arrogant Bastard.

pudgym29, HermitDan, monkist and 36 others like this.
  2. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,485) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

That’s the longest, snarkiest, “F-You” response I’ve ever seen.

Bravo Stone.

3. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,283) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I mean, he's right, most people will fkn hate this beer. It's a well warranted warning.

RobNewton, KentT, Amendm and 7 others like this.
  4. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (148) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

Yeah, why now?

Amendm, rgordon and VoxRationis like this.
  5. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (4,510) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

Greg, you glorious bastard!

6. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

That was pretty great. He could have just said shut the hell up clown and it wouldn't have been any more disrespectful. Well done.

HermitDan, ericwo, KentT and 4 others like this.
  7. rgordon

rgordon Savant (983) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I know, it's like what can I be outraged by now simplex. I like some Stone beers and know some key employees, have never loved their schtick, but this is too late and damned lame.

8. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Meyvn (1,036) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Cheese and rice. Seems like he loves to hear himself talk... Arrogant really.

9. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (183) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Couldn't finish reading the article.... All I could think about as I read is that these guys are arrogant bastards.

Amendm, beergoot, DrOfGolf and 4 others like this.
  10. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,656) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Brevity is...wit.

11. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

The complaint and the response was almost too perfect. A person more cynical than myself might suspect this was a publicity stunt of some kind. It's pretty damn funny either way.

12. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Initiate (182) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Trader

God damn wussies (pun intended)

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  13. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,625) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

+1 beer pun, plus it made me look at how many wits are named Brevity. (9, plus and APA and a Blonde)

14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,972) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Seems Portman is funded by UK big beer if I read that right so anything counter in the enemy. Funny how that is, an industry funding a watchdog group that benefits from said negative findings. If it was so out there why 10 years later? Wouldn’t they have to under go scrutiny when applying for distribution rights? Even if they predate Portman surely that big bad AB would stick out like a sore thumb. Stones sales are good I take it, perhaps too good?

15. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,656) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I was just quoting a Simpsons gag, but it's pretty awesome how these brewers put it to good use as well. (The gag revolves around Reader's Digest condensing the Shakespeare quote "Brevity is the soul of wit.")

But overall, yeah, I'm with the others who found that the response went on too long for its own good.

Amendm, beertunes, DBosco and 2 others like this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,881) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

You mean like the wording on some of Stone beers' labels? Lol.

17. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,336) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Oh, people are so sensitive in these times, finding offense under every rock and some going out of their way looking for rocks. It's been at least 90 degrees with equal humidity for more days now than I can count and I haven't got mad at anybody.

18. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,420) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

This from a country that sends us Spotted Dick from a company called Goblin...use your imagination, change the word order...that's what's on the label.

VoxRationis, Kemosabe, Roguer and 7 others like this.
  19. Maugan-Ra

Maugan-Ra Initiate (58) Dec 19, 2014 New Jersey

The Portman Group...well, what's that quote about the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation..?

Somajiahu likes this.
  20. Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin Devotee (405) Jun 3, 2009 Alabama
    Society

So does this "watchdog" group have any authority in the UK to prevent the sale of a beer it deems not in compliance? Are beer retailers under any obligation to heed their calls not to stock the beer?

21. TheGreyBrewer

TheGreyBrewer Disciple (377) Mar 19, 2006 Colorado
    Society

Greg sure knows how to write. And write, and write. Too bad so much of it is in his signature style. tl;dr - I'm assuming he told them to F off. Cool.

22. f8met

f8met Initiate (61) Jun 27, 2014 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Portland group are a nightmare. They banned a beer as the label was drawn in a cartoon manner and it was deemed to be a beer that will speak to children so they banned it. They are a quango ruled by big brewers and are a nanny state company.

They seem to know what is best for people. Run by white middle age men in too tight ties who probably never drink what they comment on.

23. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,605) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Portman Group Leadership Team
    Portman Group Complaints Panel

... They appear to be neither all middle aged nor all men. :wink: I can't tell what they may or may not drink! :grin:

From their website, their enforcement seems to be to:
    • pressure retailers,
    • " notify relevant breaches of the Code to the regulatory authorities and other appropriate third parties, such as trade associations and monitoring organisations", and/or
    • expel a company from membership

That last one is pretty weak if the company is not a member to begin with, which Stone does not appear to be:

Member Companies
    Code Signatories

24. f8met

f8met Initiate (61) Jun 27, 2014 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

I stand by my comments... .

Sheppard and rgordon like this.
  25. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (725) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Way TLDR

Started and then I got borded.

What ever happened with the Stone Vs Stones suit?

Enjoy

AlcahueteJ and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  26. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,605) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Why?

I'm not defending them; I think such monitoring is mostly what you say it is... nanny state do-gooders who know what is best for everyone else.

However, I get a little tired of the "middle-aged white men" meme.

27. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,116) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

There were some great points in the first few page-downs, then I started skimming.

TongoRad likes this.
  28. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,185) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Methinks they's knickers be a bit too twisted and tight (i.e., The Portman Group's)...kind of like the Woman's Temperance Christian Movement of yore...

#28 beergoot, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  29. FinbarrSaunders

FinbarrSaunders Initiate (48) Dec 26, 2012 New York

Adversaries who richly deserve each other.

flat_lander likes this.
  30. BIABrewer

BIABrewer Initiate (20) Nov 18, 2017 Indiana

I've long thought Arrogant Bastard had the absolute best marketing program in the industry. I'm enjoying one right now in honor of that fantastic response

aficionado224 and Amendm like this.
  31. rgordon

rgordon Savant (983) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I think rampant "prigness" exudes from this group. The world has already deeded these guys to a stodgy place that is too cool for especially this crew. Puritanism redux? Maybe they can fix the culture in their image.

VoxRationis and Squire like this.
  32. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (36) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

While I agree that the request was quite late to the party and colloquially stodgy, this is a group that is probably trying to keep drinks named Santa's Red Swollen Balls off of menus in family-oriented venues.
    That said, I find it highly amusing that the overwhelming response in this forum is Yee Haw! You tell 'em Greg! Nobody can fuck with Americans' god-given right to make asses out of themselves in other countries!

Malt_Man and beertunes like this.
  33. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,086) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I don't think that's been the response, the gulf between 'santas swollen red balls' being served at a family restaurant and a beer called 'arrogant bastard' with a gargoyle on the label is pretty great. Is bastard considered a super bad word in the country famous for calling everyone 'cunts'? It just seems a little ridiculous

34. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (605) Mar 28, 2009 California

Greg must have been really bored when he wrote that response.

AlcahueteJ, beertunes and cjgiant like this.
  35. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (846) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

This makes me want to go to the store and grab a bomber of the stuff.

One of my first ever craft beers and will always have a special place in my heart.

36. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,844) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Maybe a respectable watchdog was somehow misguided (say a flawed AI algorithm) or, as @lester619 indicated, they were looking for some publicity. The grievances, as quoted, seemed off/contrived.

Regardless, I’d say Stone’s response (right, wrong, or indifferent) is for publicity (i.e. it didn’t have to be available via a link on their site).

Regardless, I liked the response because it was really long :wink:

GetMeAnIPA and fegelFatso like this.
  37. Fatcarlo

Fatcarlo Initiate (4) Sep 15, 2019

As a Brit I find that Portman letter and Zenith an embarrassment. Wonder if they complained about Dog's Bollocks by Wychwood Brewery?

Roguer, ATL6245, Squire and 1 other person like this.
  38. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (147) Jun 23, 2013 California

When I first heard of Arrogant Bastard, I thought it was some kind of cheap malt liquor being sold as swill... and then I tried it... and other Stone Beers... and the rest was history!

Amendm likes this.
  39. Amendm

Amendm Defender (610) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

A wise man once said, " It ain't arrogance if you can back it up".

AB is an occasional treat, I can see why a lot of people hate it.

40. Brew-Monk

Brew-Monk Initiate (29) May 21, 2019 England

Having lived in the UK for the last 7 years, I find the Portman Group's letter to be a truly classic piece of politically correct BS (but it is also really funny). Over here the craft beer scene is definitely booming, like it was in the States 10 years ago, and it is easy to understand why the big boys are fighting.

That being said the response was well written, and caused me to enjoyably waste some work time reading it, and then trying to figure out where I can get my hands on an Arrogant Bastard. It has been too long since the last one!

pudgym29, dcotom, Roguer and 2 others like this.