News Greg Koch (Stone Brewing) is "gearing up for a scrap"

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Snowcrash000, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Zealot (555) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Beer Trader

Anyone seen this at all? Kinda suprised there isn't a thread on it yet. No idea what's going on, but I sure am curious, to be honest.

Gearing up for a scrap next week. Didn’t ask for it. Yet, I’ve got no choice. So, instead of approaching the fight w reluctance, we’re going in w zeal. You have thru the weekend to select your popcorn, or gender-appropriate snack of your choice. Put dibs on the comfy chair.

AlcahueteJ, VABA, tzieser and 2 others like this.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (5,468) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

Stone sent a media alert about this on Friday.

---
    Subject: Big news is coming from Stone Brewing

Jason and Todd -

I hope your year has been off to a good start. Here at Stone we’re gearing up for an announcement on Monday that’s sure to pique the interest of the beer community. I just wanted to give you the heads up so you could keep an eye out for it. I’ll send a press release and video Monday around noon (PST) and you can watch our social channels for updates as well. In the meantime, here are a few preview tweets from Greg…

Talk soon,
    Stone Brewing PR Manager
    ---

3. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,344) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Sounds interesting, for sure.

Cheers!

4. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,270) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Greg had been MIA on social media for a long time, I have noticed in recent weeks he has been very active on Twitter. Interested to see what is going on with this.

5. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,006) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

Mysterious. Second mystery: what's a "gender-appropriate snack"? :thinking_face:

[Question not an invitation for sexist, homophobic and transphobic jokes.]

6. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (456) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Can’t wait to hear what this is about —but on the surface is sounds like a desperate attempt to grab back some of the attention all the young upstarts are getting. Let’s hope whatever he’s pisssed about somehow results in the revival of Old Guardian and Sublimely Self Righteous...:grin:

7. Todd

Todd Founder (5,468) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

Yeah. Greg took a sabbatical and kept his head down for a while during some major changes. He also went from being quite active in these forums to last seen well-over a year ago. My gut tells me that there's an underlying reason for the return of what we once loving called "The Greg Koch Show," beyond whatever message he drops tomorrow.

8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,916) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Doubtful - sounds like something is happening or has happened.

Wiffler27 likes this.
  9. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,523) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina

He's buying the Chargers and moving them back to San Diego. Call them the Stone Chargers. I'm all in on that.

10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (824) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I bet he sold Stone to the Gallo family.

steveh, tzieser, elgiacomo and 4 others like this.
  11. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,639) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I was wondering about this as well. I always thought of popcorn as a great uniter.

12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,916) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Yup, they're calling it Gallstone :wink:

13. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (670) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I hope Trump said something about I'M Peach and Greg is going to go off and rip deep.

Enjoy

14. Loops

Loops Initiate (131) Feb 13, 2014 Missouri

Who made you the keeper of Craft Beer???? I bet this is some ploy about Macro's and how they are destroying the beer industry.

Brolo75 and Wiffler27 like this.
  15. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,155) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

He mentions in one of the above tweets, the video he shot (which will be shared on Monday per his note to BA) he talks about 'big beer (again)' so it's not likely about the peach beer. Unless he meant bigly beer in his tweet?

AlcahueteJ and mikeinportc like this.
  16. DrunkenMonk

DrunkenMonk Disciple (331) Jun 2, 2012 California

Yeah. This soun
    Yeah. This sounds political. I was thinking the same thing. I hope I won’t be disappointed.

17. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,138) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia

Oh dear......throw in Levitation and I'd go into convulsions.

MikeWard likes this.
  18. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,836) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

If it's not about beer I don't really care.

19. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (555) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

It would be one thing if Stone provided a routinely fresh, tasty & competitively priced offering to the ultra-crowded market here in MA.

But they don’t, so that’s why Greg’s odd ramblings hardly mean anything to me. Get a beer to me that meets my criteria than maybe I’ll care about his vanity play.

20. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,862) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

Lady-friendly Doritos?

21. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,792) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I just hope its not political. I really don't like mixing beer and politics just like I don't like mixing sports and politics.

BeerseAnyone, tzieser, MNAle and 7 others like this.
  22. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (670) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

That essay/article was amazing

Enjoy

23. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (186) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I feel that way about reality tv personalities going into politics

24. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,862) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

This x infinity.

25. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (254) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Just for the record, it's impossible to separate politics from sports or beer or anything. Ignorance is an option, however.

DovGibor, JayORear, ecpho and 12 others like this.
  26. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,251) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I was sort of wondering what happened to him here. I always enjoyed when he joined in the conversations and was curious why he just left. I hope to see him back again soon. :sunglasses:

27. emannths

emannths Initiate (199) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Has Stone's pricing not gotten more competitive in MA? The IPA is $8.50/6 or $15/12 at Total Wine, but I haven't kept track of what it's like at "normal" packies. And I usually ignore 90% of their SKUs because rarely do they wind up being even as good as their core beers.

28. MouthBreather

MouthBreather Initiate (133) Dec 7, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just curious to why you say "Normal" packie?

29. emannths

emannths Initiate (199) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

One that sells closer to MSRP rather than for pennies above the lowest wholesale price. TW has some crazy-low prices for some--though not all--beers (some that come to mind are Hoponius for $7.50/6pk, Hobo Life for $7.80/6pk). TW prices for beers aren't representative for 95% of packies in MA.

MouthBreather and SouthAtholSuds like this.
  30. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (555) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

The Enjoy By's seem to be $16 per sixer, & most of the others seem to be a buck or two higher than Sierra Nevada/Lagunitas/New Belgium and other national crafts.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  31. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,792) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

That's the problem. A lot of the times the person making the political statement is ignorant and they really do not know what they are saying.

dcotom, PatrickCT, scream and 3 others like this.
  32. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (824) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Even then I don't care, because it'll just be more attention-whoring.

Squire and Loops like this.
  33. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (497) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Sometimes it's ignorance, but not always... I doubt I feel as strongly as you on this issue, but where I question mixing politics with beer, sports, etc. is it often leaves me with a nagging doubt of whether the political stance is authentic or tainted/tailored to support selling a product or service.

Brolo75, drtth and bgold86 like this.
  34. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (381) Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I hope he scraps the current 1.1 and 2.0 versions of their beers and returns to the original recipes.

35. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (782) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Thanks for the reminder. There's quite a bit of ignoring going around. I'll never be quiet.

Brolo75 likes this.
  36. MNAle

MNAle Champion (898) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

False choice.

Some of us just like to relax and enjoy a good beer and watch a good game without all the political folderol.

DonObiWan, Brolo75, dcotom and 8 others like this.
  37. bgold86

bgold86 Meyvn (1,038) Apr 1, 2015 New York

Welcome to 2018 dude, these things no longer exist.

Brolo75 and raynmoon like this.
  38. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (782) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Well, really, each to his own. There isn't a right or false choice in my mind. Everyone is geared a touch differently, and thank goodness for that! I keep thinking about the 1968 Summer Olympics with Tommie Smith and John Carlos. Those men are braver than most of us......

waltari, thebeers, Squire and 3 others like this.
  39. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (286) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Now to be fair he was born on third base with a diamond spoon in his mouth and acts like he hit a grand slam. He is a real self made person! :rolling_eyes:

40. glass_house

glass_house Defender (626) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Unfortunately, you're probably right. The proliferation of social media has led to an atmosphere where narcissism is the norm. Everyone feels they need to show off their soap box and signal their virtue, regardless of whether its rooted in actual fact. On the flipside, I'd disagree that declining to make everything overtly political equates to ignorance--hence the false choice MNAle pointed out. On that note, I am interested to see whether Greg Koch is primarily angling for publicity or if there's an actual compelling story here.

#40 glass_house, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    DonObiWan and Brolo75 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.