#gregslist by Untappd: support beer locations in operation during the COVID-19 health crisis

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Todd, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,941) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Awesome work by my new coworkers, who worked hard to get this up quickly. Please spread the word.

--

The COVID-19 health crisis has caused many of your favorite restaurants, pubs, and breweries to stop all on-premise service. This can be a huge portion of their business. Many are now offering beers to-go, delivery, curbside pick-up, gift cards, and more. This is a growing list of global beer locations and ways to support them. Let’s do what we can to support these businesses, their workers, and our community.

https://untappd.com/gregslist

About gregslist
    We ❤️ this industry. We love visiting bars, restaurants, and breweries too. In light of recent closures and efforts to limit gatherings, we know times are tough and we wanted to help share ways to support local businesses across the globe. This website is an ever-growing list of places and ways to support their continuing business through these hard times.

Things are changing quickly so we had to be quick to choose a name too. We didn’t think our founder, Greg Avola, would mind while we figured something else out ¯\(ツ)/¯

Made by Untappd.

2. Todd

I'll use this space for updates and FAQ.

What is #gregslist and how can I use it?
    How do I edit / update a venue?

https://help.untappd.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041258891

How do I add a venue?

https://help.untappd.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034403331-Add-A-Venue

How do edits work?
    All edits enter a queue for moderation and changes are approved on a regular basis. When a new edit is proposed on information that already exists, use the Notes section to describe why the edit is happening.

Can I lock in edits / data for my business?
    We'll be exploring into ways that we can lock data for business owners in the future.

I'm seeing "businesses" that don't belong in the results. What gives?
    Use the "Hide" button to propose hiding the "business" from the list, which will help us in our efforts to make this list more relevant to users.

tzieser, TEHieatt, ShaneP and 4 others like this.
  3. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Initiate (115) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Thanks for sharing Todd!
    How does one go about getting a place added to the list and/or update what is there?

4. Todd

I just added this info to the thread (second post, reload the page if needed).

GreenBayBA likes this.
  5. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (354) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

That's awesome.....super kudos!

GreenBayBA likes this.
  6. Whyteboar

Trader

Thanks! I submitted an edit. They're going to need all the support they can get, appreciate your work in this area. Other areas too, but there is something about ones local pub that roots them to the community of beer fanatics.

GreenBayBA, riptorn and Todd like this.
  7. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (354) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

@Todd are there guidelines to what type of establishments Untappd will allow, or prefer....other than what's mentioned in the announcement? Knowing that in advance might help toward reducing time involved for Untappd to review suggested additions.
    I'm guessing here but would think (at least in the short term) it would be for beer related businesses and could expand as time goes on.

Bitterbill likes this.
  8. Todd

See the link in the second post on adding venues.

riptorn likes this.
  9. DigInn

DigInn Initiate (1) Nov 13, 2019
    Industry

As owner of The Dig Inn (and both Untappd, BA user) how do I lock in edits, ie, I’m making curbside and pickup effective as of today

10. Todd

Just updated the FAQ. Locking data will be explored in the future, but all proposed edits are are put into a moderation queue for review.

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. Angelg01

Angelg01 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I think it's good for morale and helps local businesses.

riptorn and Todd like this.
  12. wvbelgique

wvbelgique Initiate (156) Feb 19, 2006 West Virginia

seanh99 and seakayak like this.
  13. PNW

PNW Initiate (155) Dec 23, 2019 Washington
    Society Industry Trader

Cool. I just sent edits for The Good Society here in Seattle. We're doing crowler and merch pickups and delivery. Thanks for this.

14. eugenelouw

eugenelouw Initiate (36) May 11, 2019 Colorado

If you are in the Denver area, Craft Alley (https://denver.craftalley.co/index.php/beers.html) is working with Breweries and put out the following statement:

15. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (573) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Nice, I just updated some places around me.

Todd likes this.
  16. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,174) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

95% of the listings on this page are wierd. I live in a pretty small town and most of the places listed do not exist or are very far away. The local breweries (3 within 10 miles) do not show up.
    A wierd example, the closest Buffalo Wild Wings is about 35 miles away, but there is one listed for my town.
    Sorry, but this is completely useless to me.

Madman2001 likes this.
  17. Todd

I haven't experienced this, but try adding your city and state to the search box.

18. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,174) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Okay, tried that at work but did not have the syntax right. After your quote, I tried again, saw the syntax in faded letters. Results- none. I'm okay with this. At least it makes sense. As I said, I live in a pretty small town.

Todd likes this.
  19. Madman2001

Madman2001 Initiate (1) Feb 25, 2020

The list from around here (Chicago western 'burbs) contains a lot of "establishments" which are not open to the public, cannot be found on Google, and may be someone's basement. One example is Tom's Beer Emporium in La Grange Park IL.

TongoRad likes this.
  20. Todd

I just updated the FAQ. Use the "Hide" button to propose hiding the "business" from the list, which will help us in our efforts to make this list more relevant to users.

Whyteboar likes this.
  21. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, me, too. Most were in an adjacent town, lots of pizza parlors, bagel shops and fast food chains which aren't licensed for alcohol sales, and many establishments that just don't exist at any other source (phone books, internet) - like "Jim's backyard porch" and "Emma's basement" with one even listed as a "speakeasy". Changed towns, and the only one listed was an asphalt plant.

22. ibosim

ibosim Initiate (62) Jan 23, 2014 Spain
    Industry Brewery

Thanks for the initiative!

23. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (11,583) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Yes. I love this idea. People need to take a minute to update the details for at least one place in their area.

Todd likes this.
  24. gregavola

gregavola Initiate (80) Aug 22, 2010 Connecticut

We've made some changes this morning to help weed out some of "home" venues. Give it a shot and let us know! Cheers!

Bluecrow, TongoRad and Todd like this.
  25. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (634) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I made an edit over 24 hours ago and it's still not up. Is the que for moderation that long?

26. Whyteboar

Trader

Still some odd things showing up for Ada, Michigan; High School football stadium, items from other countries, private residences. I tried 'Hiding' some of them, but as my edits for Gravel Bottom never showed I wasn't sure anybody was actually looking at this. Good to see someone is, thanks!

27. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,636) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It appears that choosing 'Closed' in the Edit mode is just for being closed during this crisis, but if a place on the local list is permanently closed, then the Hide button is the way to edit that listing. I had 6-8 places that are permanently closed anywhere from 1-10 years ago.

28. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (153) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Unfortunately this won't work soon in NY as most businesses will be closed. Maybe there's time to get cans today or tomorrow.

29. Jimmy_V

Jimmy_V Initiate (66) Jul 24, 2013 Wisconsin

I updated 5-6 local Milwaukee breweries yesterday morning, but none are updated yet. Is the moderation queue very long? This is a timely issue and I was hoping to spread this further by now, but no sense in sharing if the info doesn't show up. Thoughts? Thanks for building this!

30. Todd

There are over 1,400 items in the moderation queue right now, but the team is on it and they'll be working over the weekend to catch up.

31. Todd

The team is working on updates and clarification to the open/closed field.

Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  32. Whyteboar

Trader

Thanks Todd! I wasn't sure how backed up things were but apparently a bit. It does help to know that there is cause though. Apparently a lot of people are trying to help. :-)

flat_lander and Todd like this.
  33. Jimmy_V

Jimmy_V Initiate (66) Jul 24, 2013 Wisconsin

I hate to be the squeaky wheel, but my edits from Thursday morning are still not there. I'm working hard to do the research and provide accurate info for Milwaukeeans. High hopes for this tool/resource but if the moderation queues can't keep up, maybe the process could be changed? To be clear, I'm blaming volume load, not the moderators themselves.

Can proposed edits be made live and then confirmed (or taken down) by moderators? I doubt people are trolling this. Maybe I'm wrong.

The situation in WI is very fluid (full lockdown in question) and the ability to promote breweries who have products available to go is highly valuable, since it could change any day. If edits take 3-5 days to go live, the tool is not as helpful.

Thanks for hearing my feedback!

Rocktire likes this.
  34. Todd

Thanks. I'll pass along your feedback.

In the meantime, are you tagging places as "open" or "closed" when proposing edits?

35. Rocktire

Rocktire Initiate (66) Jan 15, 2017 New York

Same here...put up multiple edits from my area on Thursday and nothing has changed.

36. Todd

We had a team of 10 people working on it over the weekend, but the sheer volume of proposed edits has been overwhelming. That said, we had a call this morning to discuss. We've enlisted more help from various teams and we're all working hard plow through the queue.

Nearly 8,000 venues have already been updated.

37. Todd

Update: There are now over 10,000 venues listed and less than 300 proposed edits in the queue.

Rocktire, flat_lander and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. heysuz

heysuz Meyvn (1,046) Nov 18, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Wow! That is amazing and miraculous. I wish Congress would work that fast. :wink:

Great work by your team

Whyteboar and Todd like this.
  39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,077) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I've submitted edits for Skull Tree Brewing and Frontier Brewing and Taproom.

40. Todd

I just pushed it through.

Bitterbill likes this.