Grey Sail Leaning Chimney

Discussion in 'New England' started by ShogoKawada, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Holy crap! Has anyone else tried this beer? I am blown away. Grey Sail nailed it- A great porter with just a smidgen of smoke to set it apart.

Has anyone seen this on draft at all in the RI area?
  2. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut

The Malted Barley in Westerly has it on tap. They usually have most, if not all, of Grey Sail's offerings there. I reviewed this beer almost a year ago and was surprised that I hadn't heard anything more about it. I think it's only gotten one more review since. I agree with you, great beer with a nice amount of smoke.
  3. Patrick

Patrick Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

How does this one compare to Mayflower's Porter?
  4. TheBeerologist

TheBeerologist Nov 20, 2011 Rhode Island

I had it on tap at the Mews in Wakefield last month and just found 16 oz cans at Wakefield liquors yesterday (4-pack $8.99). A little thin for me but one of the better local porters I've had since moving here last year
  5. FarmingtonRiver

FarmingtonRiver Jul 7, 2004 Connecticut

I agree . Great Porter ! Josh nailed it.
  6. greybeardloon

greybeardloon Apr 8, 2011 Rhode Island

They are pretty different. The smoke, while not all that heavy in the Grey Sail, is more prominent than it is in the Mayflower. TheManiacalOne has reviewed them both, if you want to compare those reviews.
  7. DaKur

DaKur Nov 15, 2012 Rhode Island

Hope they bring it to the brew fest in Pawtucket in a few weeks.
  8. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Drinking one right now! Love thisbeer! Heavier on the smoke than stone smoked porter but not overpowering at all. Daniel Packer Inn in Mystic CT has on tap.
    smutty33 and FarmingtonRiver like this.
  9. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Nov 12, 2012 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Good stuff. Grey Sail has been putting out some great beers in a very short period of time. Loved the Stargazer.
  10. TheLostGringo

TheLostGringo Dec 7, 2011 Connecticut

Anyone no where this is sold in cans in CT?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!