Growing Hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by howopeeps, Apr 1, 2012.

1. howopeeps

howopeeps Mar 7, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I am thinking about growing some hops this year. Live in NE Ohio any tips, advice

2. IHC

IHC Jul 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Growinf hops is pretty easy. if you have e er grown anything before you should be alright. like most plants they take time patients and a little.common sense. google how to grow them and you will get a bunch of ideas. the only thing i would say is really.important is.giving them the proper place to climb and watering them very often the first year. dont give them a lot but try to give them.some.every day or every other day depending on your enviroment and.the type your trying to grow. I'm on my third year and i love it

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Please tell me you just posted that on your phone while driving because otherwise I think you are having a stroke.

4. growinghops

growinghops Oct 8, 2008 Minnesota

Hops are easy to grow. Just Google "how to grow hops". Cascade is always a solid bet for a hardy hop.

5. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Dec 14, 2006 Michigan

Another thing that I would add is to plant different varieties at least ten feet apart. I learned this the hard way and had to dig up and transplant my willamettes this year to keep them from getting mixed up with my cascades 5 feet away. when I unearthed the roots they were as big around as my leg and had run at least 5 feet in every direction. and this is only their third year!
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture from last summer. Cascades on the left willamettes on the right. Way too close together!

6. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I am doing this too! I'm still an apartment-dweller, so I'm potting them. Starting off with medium pots (12") and transplanting the ones that take into bigger pots. I ordered them online at Freshhops, got some Cascade and some Centennial.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe