Growler Fill Laws?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jesse14, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (148) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Does anyone know why I was able to go to a brewery in NH yesterday and get my personal growler filled? It was "unbranded". All the brewer had to do was stick their labels on it and I was off. They stated that they didn't know if it was entirely legal but they were going to do it until someone told them different. I loved that ingenuity and willingness to push the limits. For that reason, I got a 2L fill versus just a 750. We both won. Why can't everyone do this? If the brewer has a label that can attach onto the growler and even cover some other brewer "markings" then why not. It would be the right thing to do on many levels.

2. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Because laws related to alcohol are stupid

3. pveilleux

pveilleux Aspirant (271) Feb 3, 2012 Massachusetts

Before I chime in, I want to make the suggestion of putting a growler fill law sticky in a forum somewhere. Too many to keep track of and using the search is a pain, filtering thru all the threads.

A bartender at a NH brewpub told me they can refill any growler that was purchased in NH. For example, Woodstock could fill a White Birch growler, but not a Jacks Abby growler. Then I read somewhere on BA that NH breweries can only fill their own growlers. Now, I don't care which it is, but there needs to be some consistency in the understanding and/or interpretation of the laws. That would save people lots of aggravation.

braican likes this.
  4. Jesse14

My point exactly. I don't know what to follow/believe on what's allowed. I really like the "sticky label" idea though and wish some of the up-and-comers in Mass would try it. Makes too much sense environmentally and financially. If have X$ to spend when I visit a brewery I would prefer to spend it all on beer and not glass and beer.

FrankLloydMike and sleepydave like this.
  5. Sirencio

Sirencio Initiate (0) May 25, 2005 Massachusetts

Was this brewery, uh, named after a odd-colored sea creature? Because I noticed someone doing this very same thing while there on Sunday.

6. geocool

geocool Initiate (175) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

I'm very pleased to see people praising this practice. Others over on this thread are complaining about the exact same thing.

7. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

That's because in Connecticut, there are no restrictions on filling another brewery's growlers, and other breweries do not do this. IE, I can get my Jack's Abby growler filled at NEBCO, but if I go to Two Roads, they insist on putting a sticker on it.

These positive cases of it are in states where it is otherwise illegal to fill another brewery's growler.

Edit: reading down further in that thread, perhaps it is a mistake to say that there are no restrictions - point being, other breweries don't require it.

RMoeNay likes this.
  8. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

I think I know the place you are talking about - I think the stickers/bands are an interim solution until they get more glass in, but I did see the stickered growlers going out the door a couple of weeks ago and they looked like they had all the requisite info to satisfy the state - I think. They looked legit to me.

On top of that, he makes some really solid beers.

9. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

Lets not make it too obvious but my thoughts are it was what your thinking of because they did this two weeks ago for me

10. T-RO

T-RO Aspirant (212) Nov 9, 2012 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Is there an issue posting the name of the brewery?? They publicly posted on FB today they are still out of glass and will fill any amber colored growler.

11. Sirencio

Sirencio Initiate (0) May 25, 2005 Massachusetts

Didn't know that, or I wouldn't have felt funny about saying Blue Lobster. So I guess someone should ask them, since they either have an understanding of the actual law... or they're just saying eff it.

12. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (514) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

13. sleepydave

sleepydave Initiate (43) Nov 3, 2009 New Hampshire

Not entirely true. They will fill amber swingtop, or stainless screwtops. They do in fact have 750ml glass with german swingtops in stock at $3 a pop. 2L will be back in stock in a few weeks I am told.

14. Jesse14

I forgot about that post. I checked it out when it went around. I guess my point was more to the fact that Blue Lobster is ignoring the laws or knows a better way around it. Either way, I applaud them for taking the initiative. Just another reason for me to patron them sooner rather than later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.